Moab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fyrestorm said:
Thanks Jim, we just want to get close if we can.  If not we will get in the next day.  I'll checkout those routes and see what the best option for us would be. 

Dumb question as I have never run into this before.  Where would I go to fill my water tank when we get there?  Gas Station?

Well I always fill mine before I leave the last place I was at....I travel with mine full so if I want to dry camp someplace along the way, I am assured of having enough water....but I have filled at gas stations and I have filled at a McDonalds once, the guy was hosing down the parking lot and I asked if I could fill and he said no problem....when he was finished I just hooked my hose to the hose bib before he locked it up.

I am trying to think of someplace in Moab that would be easy in and out....I would try to arrive there with it full or fill in a gas station in Moab, I am sure they would let you....very friendly town to RVer's for the most part....

Not sure which route you are planning t get from Moab to Jackson - but Streets and Trips show it as 512.6  miles and going North on 191 out of Moab and hit 70 then back on 191 through Price and on over the mountains to Spanish Fork and then North on 15 and up to 80 then East to 189 then up 30 on into Jackson.

I stayed at a small RV Park just South of Jackson which wasn't bad and reasonable...Lazy J Corral RV Park - was $32.00 or so according to my log...it is right by Hoback Junction and convenient to Jackson....

Out of Salt Lake City yu have a long steep climb up Parleys Canyon - no real way around it, but it is three lane all the way up so plenty of space to be in the slow lane...You also have a pretty decent climb on Rt 191 out of Price and it is narrow and curvy but they have sporadic passing lanes so it is doable.

Let me know if you have any other questions...I run around that area a bunch...know most of the roads and have traveled all over Utah!

Jim

There's a little park on the south side of the CO river that has a spigot you can use to fill your water tank (for free). I've used it many, many times. Or, if you want to spend $5, the feed store south of town has a dump station/water spigot that's available 24 hours. There's an honor box for after hours use.

A wealth of info Jim!  Thanks!  We will be coming from Watchman campground in Zion.  Theres no water hookups there so I may have to look for the places you guys mentioned once I get into Moab.  I will just make sure I go through town before I head out to Dead Horse.  If I have any other questions I will be sure to fire away!  Again, Thanks for all the help!

Smoker Bill, I will note both places and try to hit up the free one once in town.  THanks!

" We will be coming from Watchman campground in Zion.  Theres no water hookups there so I may have to look for the places you guys mentioned "

There is a potable water hook up at the dump station at Watchman . It is separate from the sewer clean up water .
When you are at Zion , don't miss the River Walk . I just went in through the first few pools but it was awesome  .

Bill

Bill, that the Narrows?  If so, we have that in our plans.  Angels Landing is also on the list!  And thanks on the water info.  I'll probably top off there before we head to Moab.  As well as top off on the way in to Zion.

There is a potable water hook up at the dump station at Watchman . It is separate from the sewer clean up water .

Just a little speculation:  The potable tap is probably coming from the same main as the non-potable clean up source. Therefore the only concern would be the possible contamination of the water would be due to the hose being use for clean-up being contaminated.

Maybe all dump stations should all have the extra outlet..    What say ?

I don't think I would take young kids up Angel's Landing.  Did you say how old yours are?  At one point you walk along a ledge that is about two feet wide - hanging onto a safety chain - with a straight down drop of about 1,000 feet.  This definitely is not a place I would want my children!  The first part is just fine and kind of neat, but the second half that starts at Scout Lookout is much more difficult.

ArdraF

Yeah, my son will be 10 but the wife has already stated that she will hang back with him.  So, it will be my friend and I.

Ardra - I have seen lots of kids on Angel's Landing. They seem to do better than the adults. One day about half way up the chains I was passed by about a dozen teenage girls who were hiking and giggling like they were on a stroll in the mall. When I got to the top I asked one of the girls if they were a group or something. She told me they all were locals and they all had Friday off, so every Friday they hiked up to Angel's Landing. And until I talked to her I thought I had really accomplished something. :-[

Fyrestorm said:
Bill, that the Narrows?  If so, we have that in our plans.  Angels Landing is also on the list!  And thanks on the water info.  I'll probably top off there before we head to Moab.  As well as top off on the way in to Zion.

Yes the Narrows .  Angels Landing , I would have loved to have done that but the energy and stamina just wasn't there . I wish I would have went there when I was much younger .

Bill

carson said:
Just a little speculation:  The potable tap is probably coming from the same main as the  clean up source. Therefore the only concern would be the possible contamination of the water would be due to the hose being use for cleanup being contaminated." 

Carson ,
Yes I would guess they are coming from the same water sourse , but there are two different hoses and they are quite a distance apart . We used it for over a week with no problem . We however always use bottel ed water for our drinking and just use the tank for all the other uses .

Bill

Edit: Fixed quote.

The "water tap" along the Colorado River road is quite popular with locals who seem to fill numerous bottles to take home.  Doug at Portal RV Park told us that there are huge artesian wells throughout this area.  In fact, those ponds at Portal are "free" water that flows through the property and down to the river.  He owns enough water sources that he could set up a bottle plant if he chose to do so!

Tom, I certainly agree that healthy young people can do Angel's Landing just fine, but SHOULD they?  Teenagers, especially boys, seem to think they're infallible and aren't always as cautious as they should be, hence my comment.  Your comment reminded me of Ayers Rock in Central Australia.  There are a number of memorial plaques at the base of the rock, most of which were young boys whose exuberance was their downfall.  People need to use common sense in places like that, especially with children.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
The "water tap" along the Colorado River road is quite popular with locals who seem to fill numerous bottles to take home.  Doug at Portal RV Park told us that there are huge artesian wells throughout this area.  In fact, those ponds at Portal are "free" water that flows through the property and down to the river.  He owns enough water sources that he could set up a bottle plant if he chose to do so!

Tom, I certainly agree that healthy young people can do Angel's Landing just fine, but SHOULD they?  Teenagers, especially boys, seem to think they're infallible and aren't always as cautious as they should be, hence my comment.  Your comment reminded me of Ayers Rock in Central Australia.  There are a number of memorial plaques at the base of the rock, most of which were young boys whose exuberance was their downfall.  People need to use common sense in places like that, especially with children.

ArdraF

Is there a certain side of the road I need to look for these water sources?  (ex..SE, NE?) 

I would love for my son to accompany me on the Angels landing hike.  But, outsides forces pretty much forbid it. (wife)  He's are only one and she purty protective, haha. 

I just made reservations for Dead Horse Point State Park for the first of May.  The park was already filling up. 

I'll be looking for that water tap in the park by the Colorado River - I tried to see it on Google Street View but no luck.  I can see the foot bridge though, and I take it that the water tap is right by the bridge?

ArdraF said:
Tom, I certainly agree that healthy young people can do Angel's Landing just fine, but SHOULD they?  Teenagers, especially boys, seem to think they're infallible and aren't always as cautious as they should be, hence my comment.
Of course they should, especially teenagers. ;D

GR 'Scott' Cundiff said:
I just made reservations for Dead Horse Point State Park for the first of May.  The park was already filling up. 

I'll be looking for that water tap in the park by the Colorado River - I tried to see it on Google Street View but no luck.  I can see the foot bridge though, and I take it that the water tap is right by the bridge?

Yep, the faucet is about 50 feet from the foot bridge. While you're in Moab, check out some of the petroglyphs. Moon Flower Canyon is very cool.

http://www.discovermoab.com/rockart.htm

GR 'Scott' Cundiff said:

Scott-

What site are you in at DHP?  The only reason I ask is that your rig is pretty good sized and some sites work better than others.

I can see the foot bridge though, and I take it that the water tap is right by the bridge?

Going from the Moab bridge toward Colorado (east I guess) it's on the right side.  I'm not sure you'd see it with Google street view because it's pretty small and tucks in under the cliff on the right.  Look for a small area perhaps big enough for one car.  It helps see it if other people are there!  ::)

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Going from the Moab bridge toward Colorado (east I guess) it's on the right side.  I'm not sure you'd see it with Google street view because it's pretty small and tucks in under the cliff on the right.  Look for a small area perhaps big enough for one car.  It helps see it if other people are there!  ::)

ArdraF

I guess we're giving directions to two different places, Ardra. The one under the cliff on the right side is up(stream) the road a little bit. I'm talking about the actual spigot, that's in the parking lot of the small park you turn into on the left side of the road, right at the intersection.

I heard a few years ago they were discouraging people from drinking water from the cliff pipe because of pollution, or radiation in the water, or maybe something else. I used to get it there, but now that there's a faucet in the park (Lyons Park, I think it its), I've been filling up there.

From the BLM website:
Drinking water is not available at most of the campgrounds, however it is available at Lions Park, which is at the intersection of Highways 191 and 128 two miles north of Moab.  The water is located by the pedestrian bridge dedication plaque. Some of the campgrounds may be temporarily closed for invasive weed removal throughout the spring and early summer.

Source:
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds.html

Back
Top Bottom