Adding a screen porch addition to camper trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malibulxi

Hello fellow campers!

My wife and I are seasonal campers at a campground in New Hampshire and are looking to add a screen porch to our 34' Citation fiberglass camper (non fifth wheel model) this spring.  The porch will be 8' x 32' and cannot be permanently attached to our camper.  With that said, what would you use to seal the roof line so that it won't leak in a rain storm?  I have attached a picture to show the idea of what we would like to do.  Our camper is approx 3' taller than the one pictured, so there would be a larger pitch in the roof line.  The roof of the addition will be metal.

Also, we are going to set our camper up so that it is stationary for a long period of time (several years) and would like to elevate the wheels off the ground approx 2-4", how many sets of blocks would you use?

Attachments

• Camper addition.jpg
    Camper addition.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 86
I think I would get a  4ftX8ft sheet of fiber glass (like the white sheets that are used in bathrooms), cut 4 12 inch wide strips. The either pop rivet or metal screws to the porch and caulk on the camper roof. Use the kind of caulk that is recommended for fiberglass. 

As far as blocking, every 3 feet should be enough. Is it on concrete or dirt?

Not a bad idea, thanks!  It's on dirt, however, we will be laying down a couple inches of crushed stone for drainage purposes this spring and then repositioning our camper back on the site.

Another idea would be to buy a roll of aluminum flashing that is used for valleys under shingles.  It is cheap and comes in varying widths and can cut it with a tin snips.  Could be fastened the same way, or they make a very heavy plastic tape a lot like duct tape that I have used and it sticks very well and weather doesn't seem to affect it too much.  I had some eternabond come loose on one of my slides and for a quick fix used the plastic tape- lasted without a problem for 3 mos until I finally  replaced the eternabond.  It may have lasted a lot longer.  Also, could use the eternabond. I don't think that would be considered a permanent attachment.

Back
Top Bottom