Mid-90's Brave or Sunrise (Itasca) 29RQ CCC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

19GC45

Hi
First, I'm trying to determine the CCC for the mid-90s Win. Brave 29RQ, or its clone, the Itasca Sunrise 29RQ. Winnebago's archives give the GVWR, but no CCC or UVW. I did find a sale listing showing ~#3100. That seems possible for a small class A, particularly with the heavier Ford chassis.
I had pretty much decided on a Safari Trek, but they're short on CCC, and have some interesting handling issues (interesting as in the Chinese curse).
Second, in the twin bed configuration, I'd like to know whether one bed could be removed. I can't see how I could comfortably sleep in both at the same time, so I
thought to make other use of the space. Hopefully they don't both have tanks or outside storage compartments underneath.
Any general advice outside these topics would also be welcome.
Glen
Perhaps mid-90s to 2000 would be better. I live in Canada, and can avoid certain import regulations if the rig is 15 or more years old.

My buddy had a Safari Trek (90s vintage) on the P30 chassis, he had to replace the auto park solenoid (sensor?) every couple of years and had various problems with the diesel, that's a good one to avoid.

You won't find CCC or OCC values posted by Winnebago because it depends on the particular options the unit has.  Hopefully we'll get some Brave or Sunrise owners chime in with their numbers.

I think with Trek owners it's a love/hate relationship. Great design & amenities ? no comparable galleys and bathrooms under 36', never mind under 30' ? lots of mechanical issues. Trek Tracks has an acronym for the notorious parking brake. The early ('91-'94) Isuzu/NPR models were apparently bulletproof, but seriously under-powered. Also difficult to find service. The Duramax that followed had problems, as did Safari when they got too ambitious. Still an appealing little MH.

If you can get the serial number and VIN number, Winnebago should be able to provide that for you. Uou should also be able to get it off of the specifications found near the drivers seat or on a cupboard door.

At this point, all I'm doing is investigating, internet-style. Hopefully somebody out there has or has had one of these & can provide the info. I've sent a couple of emails to dealers, but they're not usually productive.
I noticed that Winnebago made some changes to their model names, in the late 90's but the designs are pretty much the same. A later 30' model (Brave?) offered an optional 18000# chassis.
I may have limited this question too much with those specific models. Essentially, I'm looking for a 29-30' MH with the design features they offer, and a CCC ~ 3000#. I had narrowed my search to a few rigs, but found they were inadequate.
I've seen Bounders & others on eBay, but IIRC the designs didn't suit me. Saw a Sunrise 29RQ someplace with a good layout & figured I'd try to learn more.

We owned a 1993 Itasca Sunrise 27QR. Chevy 450 and a P30. We put 150,000kms on it and sold it last year. Until 100,000kms we had no problems at all. Then we had the Check Engine light twice (both times was oxygen sensor), twice we went through a time of major "hiccups". Both times it needed a new power harness. By 190,000km one of the engine mounts was broken, that was a costly repair. Never had transmission or brake problems. In fact at 200,000kms we still had the original brakes!

Over the years we replaced the waterpump at 17 years. The fridge worked perfect when we sold it. The furnace gave us problems off and on, once we discovered lots of grass in the furnace exhaust, usually Jack had to get up, start the engine, which kickstarted the furnace and we were OK after that. Never had sewer/toilet problems, no propane or water leaks. After 20 years, 200,000km and outdoor storage in very cold Edmonton we had the original roof with never a drop leaking anywhere. To be honest we never even resealed windows or anything else.
The Sunrise was an excellent climber, even took it up the Moqui Dugway several times!

All in all we loved that Sunrise, the cabinetry was solidly made, it had storage where others had none. In the overhead storage we had three doors where others had two, or two doors where others had one. We felt that as a big advantage when trying to keep things organised.

Hope this helps.

Elly

Thanks Elly.
When something goes wrong, check your oxygen sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom