2013 Darwin Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragginourbedaround

I make no claim to the accuracy of this list, just thought #10 in particular is quite funny.

10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street by sucking on a hose, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home?s sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he?d ever had and the perp had been punished enough!

Full list here:  http://jdgroover.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/the-2013-darwin-awards-are-out/

I find that #10 very hard to believe. Saw it not long ago and told my wife that there is no way to get a hose into our sewage tank from outside the motorhome without opening the drain valve and that would dump the contents when you did so.

Gene, I want you to think... From what opening in a motor home would you SIPHON the black tank?  (The Toilet or the roof vent).. Either way no thief is that dumb.. I have seen this story with very few changes starting back when I was working at Post 29 as a dispatcher,,, (14.5 years starting Feb 1977) in 1991 we moved to Northiville and Centerlized but I saw it in a Police Mag at 29.

IT is, of course, 100% false.

Many of the stories that circulate as a list are false... I was just reading the phoney "Stella Awards" list,  it included the famous Winnabago autopilot story.. Which has been throughly researched by both Randy Cassingham(Stella awards) and Wendy Northcutt (Darwin) and found to be 100% false. NO record exists of the accident.. Several other stories like that.

The facts:  Wendy does not rank the Darwin awards.. There is no "#1" on the list.. though I do admit I might give high marks to the story (Some years ago and true) Living on Zionist Time.. Or the one about the steel thief who took the support pillar in the parking garage.. the last one.

But if you want the REAL honest, true Darwin awards.. www.darwinawards.com

And for the real true STELLA awards  www.stellaawards.com if I'm not mistaken

That said.. Yes, I agree it's a funny story.. but it's just that, a story. 

I ask forlks not to degrade the hard work Randy and Wendy do on their award pages by posting phoney awards.

It is funny and something all of us would love to be true, but if you think about it, it's nearly impossible to have happened. What RV has a cap or filler tube that gives access to the sewage tanks? Let alone could be mistaken for a fuel port?

This tale, or ones very much like it, have been floating around RV circles and the internet for over 15 years and Snopes.com found the story in print as far back as 1991, in Road & Track magazine. See http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/siphon.asp  It also appears in the 2005 Darwin Awards.

TheNewhalls said:
I make no claim to the accuracy of this list, just thought #10 in particular is quite funny.

It's the first time I saw it and I just thought it was funny. If you read the entire list you can see it's not meant to be serious. Maybe I should have posted this under jokes instead of starting a new topic.

I just thought it was funny too, doubt if it's ever happened, but gave me a good chuckle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom