Air Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beef56

I have a 2004 Ford F-250. I am considering buying a Lance 815 or 845. The dealer told me I should install air bags. I am sure it will improve handling. I would like to trade pickup in the next 2-3 years. Is it imperative that I put bags on this pickup? It seems like a large investment to leave on a pickup I will trade in. I really won't use it much until I retire in 6-8 years. What do you think?

I expect you'll find that you really do need them once you put that camper on there.  It will help with the ride for sure, but will also help level out the truck, which will surely dip in the rear.  As far as trading them in with the truck, you could always remove them when you are ready to trade or sell it.  And since you will likely be buying a new truck, the bags probably won't work for it, but you could always sell them.

usually the bags will work, and compressor,if you buy one too. you might have to order new mounting brackets for the new truck but they are do able. as far as cost, i have around 450 in mine with compressor and all. good luck.

A fellow told me today he used a spacer between his springs and overloads. He had used airbags but liked this better. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Spacers may help level the truck, but they do so at the expense of ride. Air bags can be adjusted simply by changing pressure when you remove the camper while you will have to remove the spacers (or live with the stiffer ride).
I'd much prefer the air bags, but to each his own.

Ernie

Air bags will help...with the swaying when you turn corners. Howsomever...
The truck you mght need could be a 350 with dualies.  very little sway and level ride.

I have Firestone Ride Rites on my 2005 F350 and they made a big difference in controlling sway. I run them at 50 -60 PSI. I have the in cab controller which monitors air pressure and allows you to adjust the pressure with a flick of the switch. I mounted the compressor underneath the cab on the driver side. It was a bit of a project to do the installation of all the components and figure out a route for the lines. Unless you are mechanically inclined, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I don't find that these are very useful for leveling your rig at the campsite.

I have been very happy with this setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom