New uke season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We'll shortly be starting a new ukulele season, with a new raft of songs in our portfolio. One thing we do prior to each season is to hold an "Open mic' session", where anyone can introduce a song, but they need to perform it in front of the band. Over the holidays, I've been choosing and practicing several offerings.

I've also been playing some of the tunes on my banjo which, in some cases, caused me to switch to the banjo ukulele, which will fit right in with the uke band.

Last evening was our first band practice of the new season. 30 folks turned up, which isn't too bad, given that some folks are still on vacation.

Following some warm-ups and chord switching, we played/sang several songs, then the evening was turned over to an 'open mic' session; I lost count, but we had 15-20 'new' (to us) songs introduced by band members; We were required to play & sing our desired addition(s) to the portfolio. A few of the songs were introduced by a 'quartet'.

I chose to introduce:
  • Kainoa, a Hawaiian song played on my concert ukulele.
  • The green, green grass of home, played on  my new baritone ukulele.
All songs will be re-arranged/re-written by our Music Director before the band practices/performs them.

Our next 'beginners ukulele class' starts next Tuesday, and we have several folks signed up. These folks will (eventually) graduate to the main band, where further learning will occur.

I've been working with some local guys who wanted to attend classes. One of them came here yesterday to hold/feel/play several different ukes. He was hung up in his research, but hopefully I moved him off dead center. I also loaned him a uke that he'll play in beginners class.

Last evening 37 folks turned up at ukulele practice, a new record. Another 10 'new' (to us) songs were introduced by folks playing/singing them, with help from our Music Director and accompanying guitar player. Our MD has his work cut out to re-arrange these new songs. I'll probably receive them Sunday evening, play them and make any corrections, then upload them to our online Song Book.

Our next 'beginners ukulele class' starts next Tuesday ...

I attended yesterday's Newcomers Class of 7. I suspect that 5 of these folks will graduate to the main band, which will bring us to approx 50 band members.

The MD and I have been experimenting with different heights of 'bar stools' for our public performances.

Thought of you this morning when as part of a Barry Manilow promotion a local TV station interviewed a teacher who has been teaching ukes to her class for the past couple of years.  Apparently they love it, and she has noticed that it has had a remarkable positive effect on their attitudes and marks.  Who'dve thought!

Ed

Must be the same class I attended  ???

The Langley (B.C.) Ukelele Ensemble is comprised of 20 high school students taught to play the uke by their HS music teacher. They're amazing musicians, performing 50-80 concerts a year in various countries. I'm humbled every time I see them (online and on DVD).

With approx 25 new songs introduced this season, band practices have been interesting the last few weeks. Folks are learning new lyrics, melodies, chords, chord switching, and strums; You can see the heads down, concentrating. Repeated practice at home will gradually change this scene; As folks become more familiar with the material, the whole band will increase in playing skills, and we'll start to work on performance skills.

I'm still blown away by the lead guitarist from a local rock band who joined the uke band a few weeks ago, learned to play the uke, and is already very accomplished. Our Music Director looks at him and asks "can you create a front end for that?" and, after our refreshment break, he comes back like a pro.

The latest graduates from our beginners class have brought the Delta Strummers ukulele band up to 48 players. An interesting phenomenon, and a really interesting sound.

I'm thinking back just a little over two years ago, when I was in search of a suitable instrument to take along in the RV, and stumbled across this small group of 8 players and 3 singers. Today, all 48 people play and sing.

We're still working on a couple of dates, but we currently have 4 performances set up for the first half of the year.

This is mind boggling ...

We'd raised the "max limit" on the number of players several times, last time around to 50. The last few days I've received several phone calls and emails from more folks wanting to take ukulele lessons and join the band.

LOL Larry, we've already talked about specialized ensembles that could play at small venues/events. There's some reluctance among board members, but I think it will happen in time.

Another phenomenon is that the spouses of some folks who graduate from our beginners class also want to take lessons. Yesterday, one of our recent graduates came to our place with his wife, to discuss ukulele choices for her. I let her play several sizes of ukulele, and loaned her the same uke I previously loaned her husband.

We're going to need to raise that "max limit" on band members to 60  :eek:  If we get too many more players, we're going to need to find a larger hall for our practices  ???

Today I received a call requesting that we set up "open mic." sessions at a pizza parlor or other eatery. The idea would be to get folks who're uncomfortable "performing in public" into a non-critical environment, where it's OK to screw up. Needs a little thought and planning, so we don't run afoul of the "performance standards" for the band.

I was reminded of the countless hours I've spent in karaoake bars around Asia. So many folks who can't sing or carry a tune get up and try, while the audience politely claps and cheers to show their approval  ;D I used to get lots of requests to sing  :-[

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom