Jim's internet connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I'll bet Jim could get one installed at Moab.

Tom said:
And I'll bet Jim could get one installed at Moab.

I've already had this conversation. I beginning to think the technology gods are against me and it won't make any difference what I have. It won't work!  :mad: I find now that my computer switches the modem choice to the built in land line modem with no choice for the cellular modem but it's still in the configuration. I just turned off the computer and the correct modem was again selectable. I sure hate having to restart the computer each time I want to use the cell phone.

Jim,
Go into Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options, Modems tab. You'll see that in the "Attached To" field your cell modem is listed as Not Present if it isn't connected to the phone and your built-in modem or pc card modem wille be "Attached To" some COM port. If you select it (click on it) and click on the Properties button, it will show "Use this device(enable)" in the device usage box near the bottom. Use the dropdown list and select "Do not use this device(disable)", then click "ok". Back in ontrol Panel, select Network Connections, right-click on the connection that shows your cell modem as Device Name, and select "Set As Default Connection" from the drop-down menu. Usually, the O.S. is pretty good at picking up newly installed devices (which your cell modem is if it wasn't connected when initially powering up), but seems to have trouble with cell modems in particular. Don't know why.

kkolbus said:
Jim,
Go into Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options, Modems tab. You'll see that in the "Attached To" field your cell modem is listed as Not Present if it isn't connected to the phone and your built-in modem or pc card modem wille be "Attached To" some COM port. If you select it (click on it) and click on the Properties button, it will show "Use this device(enable)" in the device usage box near the bottom. Use the dropdown list and select "Do not use this device(disable)", then click "ok". Back in ontrol Panel, select Network Connections, right-click on the connection that shows your cell modem as Device Name, and select "Set As Default Connection" from the drop-down menu. Usually, the O.S. is pretty good at picking up newly installed devices (which your cell modem is if it wasn't connected when initially powering up), but seems to have trouble with cell modems in particular. Don't know why.

I have disabled the internal modem. It keeps it from switching but there are still some problems with it dialing. Quite often it shows the modem either in use or not configured properly. It's been configured properly for two years!! Well, at least I'm on today. :)

Jim,
Typically a "modem already in use" error will occur when the modem was not shut down properly from a previous session or has a hardware problem; either of which will prevent the "on-hook" signal from being sent to the software, preventing reconnection. Do you have a different phone you can try for a day or two? Are there any new drivers available? Did you try re-installing the software? One or more of these may help pinpoint the problem.

Jim Dick said:
Ron said:
That sounds like someting a Dell would do.? You don't have a Dell do you ??? ??? ??? ;D

I don't believe it's computer mfg specific. It's all Bill Gates' doing.
You mean you think Billy G would be responsible ??? ??? ???

I was kinda kidding since I don't know if you have a Dell or not.  Had someone in Brenda ask if I knew how to repair windows without uninstalling everything.  Apparently he had a problem with the modem dropping the call while he was online thru TDS and from what he indicated Dell had told him to remove and install all the software using their recovery disks.  He didn't really want to do that. Last I knew he was going to check with Dell.  We left before I got the REST of the story.

Ron said:
Jim Dick said:
Ron said:
That sounds like someting a Dell would do.  You don't have a Dell do you ??? ??? ??? ;D

I don't believe it's computer mfg specific. It's all Bill Gates' doing.
You mean you think Billy G would be responsible ??? ??? ???

I was kinda kidding since I don't know if you have a Dell or not.  Had someone in Brenda ask if I knew how to repair windows without uninstalling everything.  Apparently he had a problem with the modem dropping the call while he was online thru TDS and from what he indicated Dell had told him to remove and install all the software using their recovery disks.  He didn't really want to do that. Last I knew he was going to check with Dell.  We left before I got the REST of the story.

I do have a Dell but that isn't the problem. It turns out the USB port is damaged. Guess I've used it too often. The modem was the only thing giving me trouble but now my wireless mouse acts up on occasion. The second port seems to work fine. Just picked up a 7 port hub and hope to eliminate most of the plugging and unplugging of peripherals.

Ron said:
Good idea Jim.  A hub is easier to replace than the USB port on the computer.

The problem now is where to mount it so it will be easily accessable to the peripherals. :) I will need to have the port repaired but it should help reduce further events. Still not sure why the modem keeps changing. I finally disabled the internal which stopped that problem.

Ron said:
That is good. Hope you have a back up copmputer while this one is in for repair.  They may just change out the motherboard.

I've still got my original Toshiba running on Win95. Not sure how much I'll be able to do with that. ;D Might be time to think about a small tower but I don't know where I'd put it. Can't have Shaun build any more cabinets. I'm out of room! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom