Jim's internet connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
Tom said:
And I'll bet Jim could get one installed at Moab.

I've already had this conversation. I beginning to think the technology gods are against me and it won't make any difference what I have. It won't work!  :mad: I find now that my computer switches the modem choice to the built in land line modem with no choice for the cellular modem but it's still in the configuration. I just turned off the computer and the correct modem was again selectable. I sure hate having to restart the computer each time I want to use the cell phone.

Jim... I know how you feel... I spent a goot part of 2 days getting this computer so it can do everythign I want it to do and I'm still not sure I've succeded... (I've one more feature to test)  I think I'll do that now... It still won't let me select any modem OTHER than the cell phone... Oh well... At least there is a work around that works around just fine)

But I now have the modem in com-1, and the serial port in com-2 and the cell phone modem in com-4 all dos accessable ports

And what is most important of all the map software can use com-2 too (I have a nice little Garmin that plugs into my software)

John,

Sorry to hear you're having similar problems to mine. :'( It certainly can be frustrating. Just now I had to try three times to send a reply as the connection was busy doing something else. Of course it never tells you what it's doing. Hope you get your problems resolved soon.

Jim,

As I said previously, you may have a hardware problem with the modem. Can't tell you how many modems I've replaced for customers that were bad and exhibited the same problems you're talking about. The modem diagnostics you run from Control Panel are not always accurate. Try an external modem thru the serial port. If that works, replace your modem.

kkolbus said:
Jim,

As I said previously, you may have a hardware problem with the modem. Can't tell you how many modems I've replaced for customers that were bad and exhibited the same problems you're talking about. The modem diagnostics you run from Control Panel are not always accurate. Try an external modem thru the serial port. If that works, replace your modem.

Karl,

Not sure if you saw my subsequent posts somewhere but it's the USB port that's defective. The center insulator is gone!! I am now working on the other port. Still not sure why it switched modems but I have the internal turned off. Won't need it until I get to CT.

Jim,
Wow! That's a first. Never heard about anyone breaking the insulator before :-\. Re USB: Windows tends to remember what device was connected to which USB port, so it may be necessary to uninstall/reinstall a device on the 'new' port to get it to work. Ran into exactly that problem with Wally's USB wireless adapter; worked fine when I tried it, but wouldn't when he got it back home. He was plugging it into a different port. Simple as that.

Many USB cables are assigned a COM port by Windows and if you plug the cable into a different port, it installs ok as the drivers are present, but it's assigned a different COM port.  Just changing the port number in the application program usually takes care of that.

kkolbus said:
Jim,
Wow! That's a first. Never heard about anyone breaking the insulator before :-\. Re USB: Windows tends to remember what device was connected to which USB port, so it may be necessary to uninstall/reinstall a device on the 'new' port to get it to work. Ran into exactly that problem with Wally's USB wireless adapter; worked fine when I tried it, but wouldn't when he got it back home. He was plugging it into a different port. Simple as that.

Karl,

I've run into the problem before where windows remembered a unit was plugged into the first port and I inadvertently plugged it into the second. Went through the install procedure again. I think the position of the ports and the fact I use a laptop as a laptop is what caused the insulator to break. Must have put too much pressure on the connecting plug when it was in my lap.

James Godward said:
Jim Dick said:
The center insulator is gone!! I am now working on the other port.

Jim,

If you ae real handy witha soldering iron, a new USB port to mount on a circuit board is about $!.00  VBG

Jim

Jim,

I' ve been pretty handy with a soldering iron over the years. I think the big problem is getting the laptop apart!!! ;D ;D

Jim,

Getting it apart is a snap - literally. Getting it back together is something altogether different. Lots of small screws and even worse, those tiny, thin flat cables that connect everything together. Better have a set of angled forceps for them; both for removing and reinstalling. You'll have to remove the motherboard and everything connected/attached to it, then unsolder the 4 USB connection points AND the mounting posts. Have plenty of solder wick available; getting all the solder out of the holes is essential to removing the old one. A 25 watt pencil should do the job nicely.

James Godward said:
If you ae real handy witha soldering iron, a new USB port to mount on a circuit board is about $!.00  VBG

Jim

I'm not (real handy) and apparantly the 2-3 computer repair shops I took my IBM laptop into weren't either. My older model had only 1 USB port. When that port became defective I was given the choice of replacing the motherboard or the whole computer.

Maybe I'll carry the IBM with us this summer and if we are able to swing thru Belgrade you can show me how easy it is :D :D

BernieD said:
Maybe I'll carry the IBM with us this summer and if we are able to swing thru Belgrade you can show me how easy it is :D :D

We'll be gone the latter part of June and the first part of July.  If we can get the mother board out, I should be able to replace it IF my hands are working.  Surgery is scheduled for April 28 on the right one and it should be OK by the middle of June before we leave!!  Dr says we won't know whether or not the left one will need surgery till at least mid July.

Jim

BernieD said:
My older model had only 1 USB port. When that port became defective I was given the choice of replacing the motherboard or the whole computer.

I meant to comment, if you have not thrown the old one away, maybe we can work something out.  Most shops do not have the time, skill or equipnemt to do that kind of work especially on multi-layer boards.  I don't have a desoldering station but a fairly sure I can get it done.  I have a nearly complete NASA set up that I got at work.  G  It is a little out of date for the new boards but I have been able to replace surface mounted devices OK the few times I have tried.

I do have one USB port left so I will probably order another the next time I order parts.

Jim

Jim

We won't be hitting the road for the summer this year until mid-July and then working our way to Minot for FMCA in mid-August, so hopefully timing won't be an issue. Hope all your surgery issues are solved even if we don't have the laptop with us.

The IBM is a neat laptop but Marlene won't use it because she hates the eraser head. My new eMachine laptop has a bigger screen and is faster along with 4 USB ports and a CF card reader. Maybe the IBM will work as a backup when we travel  :D

I digress, hope we are able to stop by and see you and Pat.

Karl

>>Just stay away from the eraser (I hate them too!!)<<

I love them...hate the touch pads.

Terry
At Gold canyon, AZ

kkolbus said:
Jeez Louise, Marlene...

It does have a touch pad doesn't it? Just stay away from the eraser (I hate them too!!) :)

No, that model only had the eraser. I prefer it to the touch pad, which I hate, usually have a trackball hooked up to my eMachine.

Back
Top Bottom