EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Adding an LED Light strip to Your RV  (Read 31180 times)

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Adding an LED Light strip to Your RV
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »
Just an update after a trip to HD.  They did not have the nylon blocks that Kevin used.  I cant find em online either so if someone has seen em online can you post here? 

I would think that someone who has them in their Home Depot, If they could get the SKU Number for you, you should be able to order them through your HD or online.   ???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:27:29 AM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
Here are the Home Depot QuakeHOLD A-Mazing Picture Hooks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuakeHOLD-A-Maze-ing-Picture-Hooks-4-Pack-4338/100137543
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

desertfox06

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
Here are the Home Depot QuakeHOLD A-Mazing Picture Hooks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuakeHOLD-A-Maze-ing-Picture-Hooks-4-Pack-4338/100137543

Thanks John.  It shows my local HD having 11 in stock!  Could not find em anywhere and even the workers said they did not know what they were!!  Oh well, guess i can order em online and pick em up.  Thanks so much for posting!
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter

06 Ford F350 4x4 LB 6.0 PSD, Garret Turbo, Banks Intercooler, BPD EGR
06 Desert Fox Toy Hauler
06 Polaris Outlaw500

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
Thanks John.  It shows my local HD having 11 in stock!  Could not find em anywhere and even the workers said they did not know what they were!!  Oh well, guess i can order em online and pick em up.  Thanks so much for posting!

I would go back to them and have them punch in the numbers or the name. They should find it.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

desertfox06

• ---
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
Good idea Rene.  Thanks!
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter

06 Desert Fox Toy Hauler
06 Polaris Outlaw500

eric2015

• ---
  • Action speak louder than words
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
That's an useful rig for awning lumination. I wonder what kind of material does the body made of ? Ruber or Aluminum?

As far as i know this Led strip lights with color changing function are made of Ruber which will getting aged easily and it has a shortage on heat disspation.

And i will be recommended to use a Led awning light like the attachment instead of a color changing one.

As this have been posted for almost a year ago, was the Led Strip Light works well ?
Eric
--------------
Was a Led Engineer for 12vonline and now ready to move to California
Looking for brand new fifth-wheels any ideas?

Phayhome Racing

• Find us @ www.facebook.com/PhayhomeRacing
    • Phayhome Racing
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
Great Information.  fixing to do the same thing this weekend to mine.   Thanks for the insight on dos and donts
You will find us at a Motocross Track that host Vintage Motocross events all over Arizona and the Southwestern US.

desertfox06

• ---
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »
Put mine up last weekend. First I enclosed the entire length of led strip in clear heat shrink and flattened it down as I went along. Did this for extra protection against weather. Then I placed 4" strips of Velcro at equal lengths on the back of the heat shrink. Put the opposite pieces of Velcro on the trailer. Now I can remove when trip is over. I tied into an outdoor light that is not used for the electrical. Controller then velcroed onto trailer near a speaker to use the music function. Worked great.

06 Desert Fox Toy Hauler
06 Polaris Outlaw500

Phayhome Racing

• Find us @ www.facebook.com/PhayhomeRacing
    • Phayhome Racing
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »
Thanks for the helpful Ideas on installing the LED Light Strips.  Lots of good ideas and it helped me make a decision on how to was going to install mine. 

I installed mine about an inch below the Awning Channel.  I used 3 inch masking tape to mask off about an inch below the awning channel.  Then I sprayed 3M 91 Adhesive between the awning channel and the tape. I also sprayed the light strip with the adhesive. The adhesive that comes on the strips just wasnt good enough to stick for a long period of time (learned from my sons mistakes).  I let it sit about 15 mins then put the lights up. I also put some silicone on the end that I cut to ensure no moisture could cause a short hopefully extending the life of them. I tapped into the Porch light circuit to turn them on/off.  They dont budge at all.  since I did install them up under the the Awning in an effort to protect them from the elements as much as possible for reasons stated in this thread I thought since the awning was rolled up it would restrict the light when the awning was rolled up which it did to some extent but I was pleasantly surprised when all was said and done that there was still a lot of light projected.  Definitely more than the Porch light gave at any rate.  I also verified how much amp draw the lights had which turned out to be 3 amps for the 14 feet I installed.

Another Great use for LED Light Strips.

Since I do a lot of loading and unloading my truck in the dark and usually in a hurry.  I installed 2 runs of Light Strips under the bed rails of my truck using the same method above with the adhesive. As they are up under the bed rails they are protected for the elements for the most part. I ran the wiring through the back of the cab with all the connections in the cab and siliconed the holes on both sides that i drilled and i also mounted a pull switch on the Dash next to instrument light switch for easy of access.   Since the Light is reflected down on the bed its not blinding and provides plenty of light without the risk of killing the Battery if left on to long. Now fumbling around in the dark for tie downs and anything else I put back there is easy to find.

Thanks Kevin for the WiFi Idea.  Ordered swithes for both the RV and the pickup.

Thanks again for all the good info. 

Louis
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:54:02 AM by Phayhome Racing »
You will find us at a Motocross Track that host Vintage Motocross events all over Arizona and the Southwestern US.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
Light strips are unregulated, which means they need 12 volts, not the 13.5-14 volts the RV converter supplies when you're plugged into power.

I'd use something like this to feed the strip.   It's called a dimmer, but it's actually a combination dimmer and regulator.  Inside is a full electronic regulator board that can take anywhere from 12-24 volts while putting out LED safe voltage.

The wifi controller does the same thing, so you don't need both.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:07:13 PM by Lou Schneider »

desertfox06

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »
Light strips are unregulated, which means they need 12 volts, not the 13.5-14 volts the RV converter supplies when you're plugged into power.

I'd use something like this to feed the strip.   It's called a dimmer, but it's actually a combination dimmer and regulator.  Inside is a full electronic regulator board that can take anywhere from 12-24 volts while putting out LED safe voltage.

Lou, the light strips we are all using here already come with a 12 volt controller.

06 Desert Fox Toy Hauler
06 Polaris Outlaw500

Lazy Hiker

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »
I would go back to them and have them punch in the numbers or the name. They should find it.

If you can't find the Quake Hold! clips at HD, you can get them as an add-on item from Amazon --> http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-4338--Maze-ing-Picture-Hook/dp/B000FJQQQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426622137&sr=8-1&keywords=quake+hold+4338
2005 Starcraft Antigua 215SB Hybrid TT
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab

ladymac2015

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
Great Idea you have there.
We added these same lights on the side of our travel trailer, they held up well until our controller box broke off, and found the strip hanging, the sticky tape was useless, but the box and lights are ok, anyways we went to home depot and bout enough aluminum U channel  x 2 for 9.99 a piece, we are going to use the idea of attaching it to the channel similar to your idea using the silicone to stick it in the channel, but will attach the channel to the RV. We did add some in a channel inside the rv, a warm white with dimmer, they look lovely.
Thanks for giving us the idea of using silicone and metal channel. :)

ladymac2015

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 07:16:44 PM »
mine are siliconed to an aluminum channel which is screwed to the wall under the awning, staying up great, no problems, but you have to make sure they are the waterproof ones and that the control box is protected. Also just took the interior lights down from under the cabinets and installed led light strip in a channel, and used small molding that covers the channel, pretty neat. Used grab it to attach the molding, stained the wood molding to match close to the color of the cabinets.

BrandO

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

Thats good information. I guess I assumed that I would have 12v at the porch light. But a dimmer/regulator is a good idea.

desertfox06

• ---
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
Thats good information. I guess I assumed that I would have 12v at the porch light. But a dimmer/regulator is a good idea.

The lights I bought on Amazon came with a 12 volt regulator that you can splice into any 12 volt wire on your coach. I erred on the the side of caution and also added an inline 5 amp fuse.

06 Desert Fox Toy Hauler
06 Polaris Outlaw500

vmyoung61

• ---
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
When drilling the hole to run the wires through, how do you know where to drill? With my luck, I would drill into wiring in my RV.
Steve and Gina
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2017 Chevy Equinox toad

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2015, 02:58:35 AM »
Steve,

I remember having the same concern. I knew where I wanted to come through the wall, which was an area behind some overhead cabinets, so I picked a spot that didn't have any obvious mounting holes for the cabinets, and which was offset from any light fixtures. Then I drilled a shallow hole through the inner wall with a small drill bit. I was very careful to not drill very deep. I used a tiny screwdriver to poke around in the hole and when I was reasonably sure that there were no metal stringers or wiring bundles where I drilled, I used a large drill bit and enlarged the hole. Once again, I did not drill deep. I just wanted to open the hole up enough so that I could see into it with a flashlight. Then I dug around with the screwdriver until I reached the outside wall. That told me there were no obstructions. Then I just drilled through the outer wall. It worked for me.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
Hereís an update to our LED light-strip projectÖ

Iíve always thought it would be nice to have the area under the right front slide illuminated, because when the light-strip under our awning is on, the slide blocks a lot of the light, making the area under the slide pretty dark.

I bought a white weatherproof LED light-strip and cut it down to 14 feet. Iíve never trusted the sticky-back tape on those light-strips, so I bought some six foot lengths of shelf-brackets and then riveted them together to make one 14 foot section. These shelf-brackets have a small channel in them that the light-strip fits nicely into. Before attaching the light-strip to the metal channel, I riveted several aluminum brackets to it, so I could screw the final assembly in place (Picture 3).

I attached the light-strip to the recessed channel with its sticky-back tape (Picture 1), and then covered the entire front and back of the light-strip with clear silicon glue (Picture 2). The glue holds the light-strip firmly in place and completely seals it from the elements. When it was dry, I mounted the assembly under the lip of the slide (Picture 3).

As you can see, the light-strip hangs upside down, so itís very important to use more than just its own sticky-back tape to hold it in place Ė trust me, the sticky-back tape alone wonít hold over time.

I tapped into 12 volts at the outside TV entertainment center and installed a two-channel 12 volt dry contact switch to turn the light-strip on and off remotely (Picture 4). I used the second channel to remotely control my porch and entry lights, which are on the same circuit. The switches themselves are completely sealed, they come with two remotes and have great range (I tested it to 100 feet, but itíll go further).

Picture 5 is a view from under the slide, looking up at the illuminated light-strip. The remaining pictures show the difference in area lighting. Itís pretty nice Ė especially being able to control it with a remote.

Kev

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
Nice work Kev! That looks great!  Except you are giving me more projects on the rig.....
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

waynestractor

• ---
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
Nice install, looks great. That channel you used almost looks like a tile edge. I mounted ours on the awning roller which is good for us as it is always out when we are camping. I thought about doing the RGBW but the wiring is a little trickier when mounted as such. For ours I installed a pigtail plug on the porch light so after the awning is out I just plug an extension cable into it and the light strip. For those planning to do this mod keep in mind that RGB lights use a combination of red, green and blue light to make white, and as such makes for a very cool white light. If you want your white light to be warm you need to use RGBW which has RGB chips and warm white chips on the same roll. Lucky for me I own an LED lighting company so I have 100's of rolls on hand to play around with;) Another thing to keep in mind is anything with a remote control will draw a tiny bit of power even when off, with these RGB controllers it is less than a watt.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:57:57 AM by waynestractor »
Wayne, Jami and Darrin...and of course Nike and Sue the dogs
Courtenay, BC
2000 27' Kit Sunchaser 5th wheel
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins RaceME tuner...so more power than we could possibly need!

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:32 PM »
That's why I put it in Marty... just to get you to do yours! ;)

Good point about the power draw Wayne, it isn't much, but those "isn't much's" can add up if you're not careful - something to be aware of if you're boondockers like us. I've got a Trimetric battery monitor and a pretty large house battery-bank (840 AH), but before I install anything, I always check the Trimetric to determine its draw. In this case, both remote switches together draw less than .3 amps per hour.

Speaking of amps, I've noticed that the five meter RGB (multi-color) light-strips draw almost four amps at full brightness, no matter what color is being displayed. The five meter white (only) light-strips only draw about two amps. That's a significant difference if you leave them on all night.

I see what you mean about how the metal channel looks like a tile edge, but they're just those metal shelf brackets that have the notches in them so you can adjust the height of the shelves.

Kev
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:43:45 PM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Mosagra

• ---
  • 1999 itasca Suncruiser, gas, Onan 5000
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
Has anyone sprung for the $150 light strip or most everybody using the ones that are around $20?

http://www.amazon.com/Boogey-Lights-KRV-VS-MC-BK-AWNING-S-Hi-Intensity-Awning/dp/B010RGKSR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459176979&sr=8-1&keywords=boogie+lights

The differences seem to be maybe a few more "special effects" and perhaps more importantly a three year warranty.  They seem to claim they are engineered tougher but I'm skeptical.

They claim they are "All Boogey Lights products are designed, assembled and supported in the USA. 3 year warranty." but it also says the product originates in China.

molsonice02

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »
I would love to install one of these strips under my awning, but I would like to run the 12v to the strip from the outdoor light which is about middle of the strip, can I solder in the power and ground somewhere mid strip?

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 12:07:31 AM »
Hi molsonice02... welcome to the RVForum. Yes, it is possible ro cut away the clear rubbery covering on a light strip to expose the foil material that carries the 12 volts, but you've got to be careful not to cut through it. Soldering small wires to the exposed foil takes a steady hand, a clean low wattage soldering iron with a small tip, and when I did it, I found it helpful to use a magnifying glass. Once the wires are connected, be careful not to pull too hard on them or twist them.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Hosted by Over The Network