My friend's '94 Fleetwood (Pioneer)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portablejohn

My friend bought a '94 Pioneer, and it looks to be in really good shape!  I offered to work on it, and it is pretty entertaining.  Washing the outside of the vinyl windows was a big improvement!  In the right campsite, I can see that great big giant window being pretty cool!

It does have some issues.  The water heater was bypassed for some reason.  I found a busted hose barb where the cold in comes up through the floor.  The tank holds air, but the burner part hasn't worked for a long time.  This is a budget build.  Should I restore the 20 year old water heater for what it costs, or install a new one?  Part of this is driven by the fact that the old one is only gas, with a pilot.  I have a m.h. (c) that has a 6 gallon gas/electric and spark.  If I have electric, I don't run the gas.  It is hard to say how this camper will be used, but I suspect it will be 50/50.

The second question is about fresh water.  There was no fresh water tank installed.  There is a pump, and a city water connection.  It seems like there should be a fresh water tank as large as the grey water tank, so when you run out of water, you have to dump the grey tank.  I know there are a bunch of solutions to this question, but I don't have experience in tending a trailer.  Like toting away grey water and bringing in fresh.

It has no batteries as well.  Seems like it should.  And a solar panel to keep the voltage up.

And leveling.  I saw a tire chock/lift that I thought was cool.  I think I am changing out the factory stabilizers for the lead screw style ones.

Entertaining myself with the mods I would make makes it amusing.  I would go with an electric water heater, a fairly large fresh tank, and an on board grey tank, as well as a portable grey tank.  And possibly a portable fresh tank.

And we get down to doing the most with the least.  In all situations.  Forever.

Any input is fine, as this is not really mine.  I want my friend to enjoy her camper the most that she can, for the least amount of money.

Thanks in advance,

John

portablejohn said:
Entertaining myself with the mods I would make makes it amusing.  I would go with an electric water heater, a fairly large fresh tank, and an on board grey tank, as well as a portable grey tank.  And possibly a portable fresh tank.

I think it might be cheaper just to buy a class A. :)

These choices may depend on the new owners proposed uses for the trailer, like parking it in one spot or hauling it to various campgrounds with hook-ups....

The second question is about fresh water.  There was no fresh water tank installed.  There is a pump, and a city water connection.  It seems like there should be a fresh water tank as large as the grey water tank, so when you run out of water, you have to dump the grey tank.  I know there are a bunch of solutions to this question, but I don't have experience in tending a trailer.  Like toting away grey water and bringing in fresh.

I don't quite understand what you are saying here, but certainly you don't mean using the gray tank for both purposes!!! Is this trailer not equipped like your motor home with dumping facilities underneath???

Perhaps a previous owner made some plumbing "adjustments" and a fresh tank was removed because of damage and/or the plumbing rearranged.....  It seems to me that there should be at least 2 tanks, fresh and grey!!! (My only tent trailer had NO facilities at all......) There may not be any toilet or it could be a self contained unit. If there is a water pump there was most likely a fresh water  tank at one time otherwise a pump would not be needed as it is not used while on a city supply. The tank could have been skillfully hidden under a dinette seat at floor level and not slung underneath as you might expect. An outside filler access  might be a clue... 

If it holds water with no leaks, the cost of repairing the old hot water tank could be minimal (barbed fitting??) and cleaning and firing up the burner could be tried before buying a new one ($$). Depending on the tank make and model, you be able to add an electric element through the tank drain, either as a supplement or as a replacement for a non-working gas unit.

Stu (and all),
  Thanks for humoring me!  I think I will try to make the old water heater work.  I have it out, and sitting on my bench.  I have the exhaust cover off, and the burner removed.  I think I should remove the burner orifice, if not the whole tube, for cleaning.  I feel like I should do the same for the pilot light, and flame sensor.  I want to unscrew the whole gas valve assembly as well, but don't know if I should.  Sometimes I can't help going pretty far backward, before I go forward concerning restoration projects.

Thanks again,

John

I have a 6 gallon water heater I rarely use. My alternate method is to keep a tea kettle on the stove.  It provides hot water for cleaning or cooking and uses a lot less propane then the w/h and no electricity.  I am boondocking or in parks with no hook-ups about 90% of the time and this works well with a minimal energy use plan.

portablejohn said:
The second question is about fresh water.  There was no fresh water tank installed.  There is a pump, and a city water connection.  It seems like there should be a fresh water tank as large as the grey water tank, so when you run out of water, you have to dump the grey tank. 

My guess is that there probably was a fresh water tank at one time. If there wasn't, there would be no purpose for the pump.

Blank out door for hot water heater?  We have decided to just remove the old gas water heater and leave it out.  Is there a hatch door that would fit in that opening?  It would be cool to have move outside storage!

John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom