165 PSI !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

Peteyboy

When we checked in to this CG, they advised me that I better have a pressure regulator on my water line as their water pressure is 165 psi,,, yikes !  When I turned the water on before hooking up it dug a 6 inch hole in the ground. Moral is,,,, it's good to have a water regulator along, just in case.  By the way, we are at Travelers World in San Antonio, Tx,,,, real nice place.

It's kind of surprising the CG owner doesn't just put a pressure regulator in near the source of the system.  They're not expensive.

I would imagine that pressure is not normal for that CG and probably a malfunction of a pressure regulator elsewhere. I've had the same situation on new housing projects where the water purveyor had a stuck regulator.......It started a panic among the residents already living there and was fixed VERY soon.

I've stayed there before but don't remember the pressure being that high but I aways use my pressure regulator.

I never hook up the water without using a regulator. Is there any reason why one would not use a regulator? cheep insurance.

We always have a water pressure regulator.  It's surprising how many campgrounds warn you about their high pressure when you check in.  But it makes me wonder how many don't tell their guests.

ArdraF

Around my home county, the county water system can sometimes be upward of 200PSI.

Granted the regulator we would use is rather inexpensive, one for an entire campground, that would pass enough flow, would cost a bit more.

I no longer hook to the campgrounds water system. I always travel with a full tank of water. Last year we hauled into a small private campground that my brother stays at. have been there before. forgot that the water at ea site is NOT potable, good for washing only. they do provide a potable water area at the main building all campers know this and all first timers are told.
had to sanitize system when we got home.

Also have heard enough horror stories of people coming back to the camper and water flowing out door. if not hooked up can not run that much water. and the fresh water tank only holds so much :)

cheaper then the regulator :)

It had never occurred to me that a campground water supply could be so over pressured. This is great to know. I priced the regulators over at campingworld and see that they range from about $10 to $50. This is cheap insurance indeed, and so easy to screw onto the campground fitting before my supply hose.
Thank you so much for the information.

I have ben to CGs that were the opposite, very low pressure.  The owners recommended filling the tank and use the on board pump.  I have one of those cheap regulators but the flow rate on it sucks.  I am looking for a better one with a better flow rate.

kenb1023 said:
I have ben to CGs that were the opposite, very low pressure.  The owners recommended filling the tank and use the on board pump.  I have one of those cheap regulators but the flow rate on it sucks.  I am looking for a better one with a better flow rate.

Go to Lowes or HD and get a Watts regulator and a few fittings, well worth the money, about $30

Attachments

• 1689 (Copy).jpg
    1689 (Copy).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 43
Avoid the screw on regulators that claim to regulate the pressure to 40 psi. They only regulate flow. When the water is off the pressure will still build up in the line, and thus your RV's plumbing system. 

Not that unusual. We were at Travelers last year, same water pressure. Also saw 145 psi at a CG in lake placid NY. We use the watts with a gauge ALWAYS. We also try to shut off the water when we are going to be away from the MH.  Sometimes I forget. Been lucky so far.

I learned the hard way. My wife was nagging me to have water in the rv all the way down south on our trip. I was leery as the weather was down to freezing at nights. Anyway i had enough and hooked it up in Cedar City, Utah. All I could here was my wife yelling there is water coming out through the wall inside. The high pressure blew apart a connection under the kitchen sink, I had forgotten to use the pressure regulator I did not hear a word about water the rest of the trip.

Bill

Our current campground has a notice on their brochure that their water pressure is over 100 psi.

ArdraF

Lots more people gripe to campground management about low pressure than high pressure, I would think

Back
Top Bottom