30 amp cord question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmec

Hello,

Over the weekend, we went to a local campground and I had an issue trying to hook up to their 30 amp service. The 30 amp receptacle was in a downward position within the box. I go to hook my 30 amp cord into it and the lower lip of the box was preventing the prongs of the cord from reaching properly into the receptacle. There we no other campers around for me to compare what they were doing. I looked at the other sites and they all had the same box setup. I went to the camp store and they just happened to have a box of 30 to 15 adapters. What I ending up having to do was get a 30 to 15 adapter, plug that into the receptacle, then use a 15 cord, then use an 15 to 30 adapter back out, then plug the 30 amp from the rv to that. This could have been solved if there was a 30 to 30 connector available, not the generator or locking style. Does that even exist? Also, I could not find a 30 amp cord that didn't have a right angle to it. If it were straight, it would work just fine. We really like this campground and will surely go back, but seems hokey to run it that way each time. Also, when it comes time to run the A/C, I don't want to burn anything up. Am I missing something here or is just how it's done?

I have not run into that problem.  There is only one way to plug in your 30 amp cord.  Any chance you can attach a picture of the problem.  Maybe that would help us make some suggestions.

I have a 50 to 30 amp adapter.  If the 50 amp plug is higher, such an adapter may work better for you and you would give you the power you need.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/power-grip-adapter-50a-male-to-30a-female/27987#sthash.1jXZmX6C.dpbs

sorry, no pics. That's the first place we have ever gone to where the receptacle was facing down and not to the side, with a "flip up" breaker lid.  The lower lip of the breaker box hung down approx 1", and the receptacle was inset. Maybe I'm just not traveled enough, but it seemed hokey to me. I looked at all the sites in our immediate area and they were all like that. I have scoured the internet for an adapter or straight end cord and doesn't appear to exist. :(

thanks,
Rich

Have run into that a number of times - if I understand what you describe. The plug was just wired upside down in a box that was installed right side up. I just plug it in a good as possible and if it needs support do a piece of gorilla or duct tape to hold it secure. Much cheaper than an adapter - which may exist but have not seen one. One could probably be made. Several boxes at the Riverside in Laughlin are that way. When I mentioned it, a hotel service guy came over and wired it right side up.

Hi tmec. I see what you mean - either the receptacle was recessed a bit or the frame around the metal box was sticking out a bit which did not allow your plug to fully seat itself. Your solution will get the job done in a pinch but not safely. Since you can still pull 30 amps through those lower rated adapters and extension cord there is an overheating potential there. A better bet is to use the 15 amp receptacle so you can only pull 15 amps...but you will have limited appliances this way.

A "30 to 30 connector does exist but it's called a 30 amp extension cord.  ;D And yes, it will still have the 90 degree plug. Due to the weight of the cord and setup of most electrical boxes, a strait-ended 30 or 50 amp plug is not practical.

The 50 to 30 amp adapter that Lowell suggests is really your best bet (as long as the box has a 50 amp receptacle and is more easily accessible).

I would also bring this to the park manager's attention - perhaps they have not noticed it. Is it just your site or all the sites that have this issue?

Or, if they would cut a notch out of the lower lip, then the cord would fit and hand out to the side. Just kind of a bummer when you show up to a new place, no one is around and the only "help" is the young kid in the store that doesn't know a thing. I'm guessing that's why they had a big box of the adapters I bought because others needed to get "creative." I gets reallllly hot there in the Summer, so I wouldn't do that and be firing up the a/c.

Joezeppy said:
Hi tmec. I see what you mean - either the receptacle was recessed a bit or the frame around the metal box was sticking out a bit which did not allow your plug to fully seat itself. Your solution will get the job done in a pinch but not safely. Since you can still pull 30 amps through those lower rated adapters and extension cord there is an overheating potential there. A better bet is to use the 15 amp receptacle so you can only pull 15 amps...but you will have limited appliances this way.

A "30 to 30 connector does exist but it's called a 30 amp extension cord.  ;D And yes, it will still have the 90 degree plug. Due to the weight of the cord and setup of most electrical boxes, a strait-ended 30 or 50 amp plug is not practical.

The 50 to 30 amp adapter that Lowell suggests is really your best bet (as long as the box has a 50 amp receptacle and is more easily accessible).

I would also bring this to the park manager's attention - perhaps they have not noticed it. Is it just your site or all the sites that have this issue?
'

Joe, that would have been ideal, but there was no 15 amp, only the 30 and the prongs wouldn't even reach 1/8 " into the receptacle to simply tape it down.

Here's a couple of pics of the "big crowds" we experienced.  75 degrees in sunny California. Where are all the campers???

Attachments

• vail2.jpg
    vail2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 69
  • vail1.jpg
    vail1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 57
Joezeppy said:
That's exactly what our campgrounds here in NY look like this time of year...except they are covered with a blanket of that cold white stuff!!!
And the kids are bundled up like the Michelin Man and rolling a snowball instead of kicking it. :)  My son lives near Pulaski and they are predicting -9 degrees high tomorrow and up to 4 ft. of snow (lake effect).

Well I am in SC tonight, the weather predictions are improving, Went from 5 to 6 to they are now saying NINE degrees tonight.  TOO COLD. MH only rated for 20 with furnace.

I got a real nice AC/DC clamp on ammeter/multimeter at Sears last summer... It included a long lead with a thermal sensor on the end.. I accessed one of the places where plumbing drops down under the floor and shoved the probe down the hole into the tank bay.. I  will be keeping a close eye on temps down there and if needed can change my heating configuration to warm it some. 

Oh the joy.

My remote outside thermometer said 12 last night (Official was 8) the temp probe on the meter I stuck down inj the water tanks got into the 50 range, but one line froze, Got to figure that out (it has thawed now)  Thankfully I know where it freezes (I have heat in both ends of the wet bay, it freezes in the center, that's pure PEX. no fittings, Someone linked to a video where a plumber freezes PEX. it freezes well, no damage).  Thawed now and working.

OH well.  Supposed to be warmer tonight. No freezing. ((Well at least not in my wet bay)).

tmec, I hope your local campground is able to come up with a fix for you. We have 2 campgrounds within 5 miles of us that we hit at least once each summer - it's nice to "go camping" but have a place close to home for those weekends when you just can't get too far away.

rebelsun said:
  cocaine?
That would explain why we're crazy enough to endure these long, cold winters, wouldn't it?  :eek:

Molaker said:
My son lives near Pulaski and they are predicting -9 degrees high tomorrow and up to 4 ft. of snow (lake effect).
We're about 90 minutes SE of them - missed the snow but it was very windy all night and is bitter cold today. Going to be 45 this weekend, though - bring on the heat wave!

This is not a "Fix" I like but there are some rather flexible 30-50 amp dog bones out there, I have one in fact that is a flat, not round cord so it can bend rather sharply.

And a 50 to 30 gets you back to your RV and operation

I do not like this cause too many connectors.. But if it works.....
Took a while to find one on line but Click here (E-bay) for an example

tmec said:
Or, if they would cut a notch out of the lower lip, then the cord would fit and hand out to the side.

I once watched as another camper having the same problem got out his dremel and cut a notch in the offending plastic himself. I can't really blame him if the cg is that clueless.

SeilerBird said:
They are aii down here in Florida. 8)
Yea rub it in Tom!!!!  Yesterday going to work, temp was 1deg, today warmer... 4deg! 8) ::)

Dan23 said:
I once watched as another camper having the same problem got out his dremel and cut a notch in the offending plastic himself. I can't really blame him if the cg is that clueless.

There's something wrong that I must be missing here. Can't fathom that a park has all 30A receptacles that will only allow 1/8" depth of plug in. That alone would put them out of business after not too long. And if all the boxes are such that folks are cutting them up to make a plug fit also seems strange. Would certainly want to chat with the manager prior to defacing park property like that.

Did the OP ever chat with the manager or owner plus post a picture of a representative box. Again, a park set up like that it would seem impossible to operate effectively and stay alive.

Yeah I was shocked by it, pun intended. I've never run across it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom