Slow loading pages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add more information:  I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mobile Hot Spot with 4G (3 bars) and my connection is flying fast.

Here is a shot of the page loading :  Page created in 0.134 seconds with 12 queries.

Just to clairify things.  I'm using the phone as a tether, not reading the forum on the phone; but on the computer.  Not sure I'm adding any info for the original problem.

Marsha~

alright... i got it figured out.. its the dam wireless router i have... my computer is not wireless... its hooked up directly to the router.... when i remove the router and connect directly to the modem... whaaala... fast as lightning... it seems i got a more knowledgeable service tech this time...

thanks again for the suggestions and help...

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, but that doesn't explain why "it only happens on this forum, and not on any other sites"  ???

Tom said:
Thanks for the feedback, but that doesn't explain why "it only happens on this forum, and not on any other sites"  ???

Agreed.  I tried changing the DNS, and nothing changed.  Still 20 seconds or so to display the page.  I'm hooked into my wireless router, but hardwired in.  I don't have a cable modem or anything (I have a wireless broadband provider...weird setup).  But again, it is only this site.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  I may try going through my iPhone (tethered) and see what happens.

If the small gif image doesn't load instantaneously, it's not "this forum". That's a very small file (approx 1K) that doesn't use any of our forum software; It's a simple file download, so any lengthy download is an indication of a network (aka internet) issue between your PC/device and the server.

Did you run the tracert that Larry suggested? What were the results?

Tom said:
If the small gif image doesn't load instantaneously, it's not "this forum". That's a very small file (approx 1K) that doesn't use any of our forum software; It's a simple file download, so any lengthy download is an indication of a network (aka internet) issue between your PC/device and the server.

Did you run the tracert that Larry suggested? What were the results?

try just resetting your modem.... that was the next thing they were going to try ... they think my router is bad... so i am connected directly form the modem to the computer right now until i get a new router on friday.... who knows why... its electronics.... probably a bug... thanks again for the help and suggestions...

dave

I haven't run the tracert yet.  But interestingly, I pulled out my laptop.  Initially it connected through my wireless router.  Same problem...20 or so seconds to load any page on this site only.  I disconnected the router and connected through my iPhone, and guess what?  Pages loaded almost instantly.  What the heck is that about?  Just curious now...Dave, what kind of router do you have?  This is going to be an interesting issue to resolve.  It is definitely something in the router.

Okay, interesting.  I was chatting with my wife about this problem, and she mentioned that one of the sites she visits is extremely slow.  I had her zap me the URL, and sure enough.  20 - 30 seconds to load anything on those pages.  So I fired up the laptop again, and through the router, same thing.  Switched to the iPhone (as a hotspot) and bam...instant page loading.  I have just started to try to find out what is common between that site and this one, but if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post.  I am thinking about saving off my router's setup, then nuking it to factory and starting over, but I'd like to wait a bit for that.

The other site that I have the slowness issue with is:

www.freepatterns.com

Just loading the page on this one takes 15 - 20 seconds, and going between the tabs Beading, CrossStitch, etc.) is painfully slow.  Up to 35 seconds.  On the iPhone (as a hotspot) it is almost instant.

This site for me is very quick, Page created in 0.134 seconds with 13 queries.

OK... wave cable came today... replaced the wireless router... same problem.... replaced both the wireless router AND the modem/// whaalaa... works perfect... the tech left scratching his head... has NO explanation at all why it workd like it did...

all i know is that it worked.... I am surfing the rvforum with lightning speed.... gonna be on here a lot to get my rving experience started off right...

thanks again for the help and suggestion.. looking forward to gaining a lot of needed knowledge..

Having the exterior buffed and waxed tomorrow (weather permitting) ,,, i will post pictures of her when she is presentable...

Dave

Glad you got it resolved Dave, and that you're now able to enjoy the same forum experience as the rest of us.

Tom said:
Glad you got it resolved Dave, and that you're now able to enjoy the same forum experience as the rest of us.

Well, most of the rest of us.  It still happens here.  I have done all the troubleshooting I am capable of.  I believe it to be in my router, but for the life of me I can't figure out why.  It's only the two websites (that we've found so far) that this happens on.  I may get another router sometime, but in the meantime, it's not that big a deal.  Just annoying.

Glad you got yours fixed Dave.  Since the router is mine (not the ISP's), I'm responsible for it.

Ed, are you able to bypass the router, or possibly borrow hardware from a friend/neighbor?

I can't bypass it, other than by using my iPhone as my hotspot, which works fine.  I may have an old router hanging around here somewhere.  I'll have to take a look.  If it does prove to be the router, that would be too bad.  It is a great router, and has never given me any trouble (other than an occasional reboot needed).  But as technology advances, so must we all.

Ed, can't you connect your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet or is your computer WiFi only?

Perhaps "router" is being confused with "modem" in this discussion?  You can bypass the router, but not the cable modem. Switching to the iPhone changes not only the router, but the modem (cellular instead of cable or satellite) and the ISP. And changing the ISP pretty much guarantees a different path to and through the internet to retrieve web pages. It does however, isolate the site performance from that of the intervening internet path.

Gary, good point.  Many cable and DSL modems include the router function and even a WiFi access point.

Yep...I understand all the iPhone and bypassing.  All I have past the router is a very small "junction" box (for lack of a better term).  The system I have with this ISP is a "hi-performance wireless-Internet radio".  My cable goes from the router to this little box, then to an antenna on my roof, which beams the signal to a tower.  So there is no modem, per se.  Anyway, I did find an old Linksys Wireless G router.  I'll hook that up later and see what happens.

This is what I have:

http://www.iguananet.com/

Since you're using a stand alone router, you could connect the computer directly to the Ethernet jack in the "junction box", if your computer has an Ethernet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom