Tank level lights/engine batt voltage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbbeebop

On my one place monitor panel the tank level lights do not light when the button is depressed.  Also, Engine battery voltage does not display when the rocker switch is pressed.  Outside plumbing compartment levels are working fine.  Checked voltage at battery and all is okay 13.2.  Slides work okay.  Any suggestions?

Edit by staff: changed message icon from Topic Solved to Question

Did both of those problems start occurring at the same time? If so, I'd be looking for a common loose wire or bad ground. Did you, or anyone else do ANY work on the RV just prior to these problems occurring? If yes, start there to see if that work could have accidentally caused the problems. My one-place panel isn't too hard to remove. If yours is the same, you might CAREFULLY remove it and look for a bad/loose connection.

If these problems started occurring at different times, you're likely going to have to troubleshoot them independently.

Started at the same time, no one has done any work on the MH recently.  I checked the one place for loose connections and don't see any.

The fact that both problems started simultaneously might be a good thing, because once you find the fix for one problem, it might also fix the other. I may be overly optomistic but it makes sense to me. It's difficult to troubleshoot from afar but I'd be looking for a loose or corroded ground wire or connection somewhere. Since the other tank level indicator is still working, the problem may be in the wiring between the sending unit and the one-place panel (That's just a guess, but it's where I'd start looking).

Kev

Behind your one place panel there is a junction plug which allows for the panel to be removed without unhooking every wire from the panel. Move the plug around a bit to see if everything starts working, unplug and plug it back in. If that don't work check the small wires connected at your battery ground. I had one that was just corroded enough to occasionsly do the same thing as you. If I waited until later or next day it would start working again. I think it was about a #12 wire hooked onto one of the negative terminals that did it but I also think you have a grd problem.

I had the same symptoms on one of my Tank Displays and it was the little Rocker Switch on the affected Display.  About $6.00 at Camping World and probably less at other places.

Pull the entire OnePlace panel - there is one screw at the very top and the very bottom, remove them.  The panel can be easily wiggled out, pull a chair underneath and rest the panel on the chair.  Wiggle the plugs on the back side of the tank monitor board.  Check for 12V on the chassis side of the battery voltage switch.

Okay guys the problem is solved.  I was about ready to go into the battery compartment to check the grounds, when the DW said that the power steps were not retracting when the door was closed.  So as all good men, born to satisfy,  I went to the Kwikee manual in the big black bag.  I checked the power and found it to be sporatic.  Both from the main and the switch, this sent me to the ground connection on the steps.  I disconnected the ground on the front chassis from the steps and cleaned the connection and reconnected it.  Wah-La the steps worked as designed.  One problem solved.  Now the coups de grace I thought about the ground issue and wondered if this could also be causing my tank levels and Engine battery voltage malfunction on the One Place.  YES! all the tank gauges work again and the Engine Voltage meter is back on line.  Nothing like a two for one solution.  Thanks to all.

Hey, that's great. Congratulations. It sure seems like a large portion of RV electrical problems are caused by bad grounds - wouldn't have thought to check the ground for the steps though. Good job.

Kev

OOPs Tank monitors and Engine Battery voltage gages out again this AM (cold outside) Steps working fine, previous solution evidently not right. Will continue my search!!

No Solution yet, but when outside temp drops below 60 deg.  Inside Tank monitors/Eng Voltage meter stop working.  Still looking!  Any suggestions?

bbbeebop said:
No Solution yet, but when outside temp drops below 60 deg.  Inside Tank monitors/Eng Voltage meter stop working.  Still looking!  Any suggestions?
Still sounds like a bad ground somewhere and if the problem occurs below 60 degrees even when inside temps are warmer, it would seem to indicate the problem is outside the heated coach.  Can you remove the "solved" icon from your subject?  Otherwise, some folks with the answer might not look at the subject again.

John Canfield said:
He can't because the editing period has expired but I changed it to a question.
But, can't he change it to "solved" in a response?  I thought that was how it was supposed to work.

BBB, not sure what you?ve tried yet so go back to the top and look over the suggestions then do the easy stuff. Wait for it to quit again then go out to your batteries and move around the negative cables, scratch up the wires where they connect. You could have a small negative wire about to come out of a butt connector or something like that. Then go back in and see if what you've moved has them working again. If it?s been a while it probably wouldn?t hurt to remove and clean all your battery connections anyway. Look at your common ground point where it goes to the frame etc but the problem is probably a smaller wire attached to one of the battery clamps since nothing else seems to be affected. If nothing seems to work then substitute another grd wire temporarily at the panel to see if you get everything working again. That will at least let you know you are on the right track.

Molaker said:
But, can't he change it to "solved" in a response?  I thought that was how it was supposed to work.
There is only a set period of time (I think 24 hours) where a post can be edited by the originator.  One of the staff (usually me in the Winnie board) edits the message to change the icon.

John Canfield said:
There is only a set period of time (I think 24 hours) where a post can be edited by the originator.  One of the staff (usually me in the Winnie board) edits the message to change the icon.
I understand, but now wonder about the Message Icon "solved" option in a response.  So, to test, I've set it to "solved".

Update: Okay, I see it changed for my response only.  Test over. :)

Back
Top Bottom