Our Shabby Beach Shack Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tstumpf

Hello,

Thought we'd post some photos of our shabby beach shack remodel so far. We still have a long ways to go. Planning to put wood veneer planks on the walls, some new light fixtures are on the way, have curtains ordered, need to locate a wood shutter for the kitchen window, and will be replacing the tile floors and the carpeting.
The cabinets that look baby blue in the photos are actually gray.

Sorry, the place is a bit of a mess with construction stuff, crock pots and yogurt makers and cords hanging all over the place. Wanted to snap the photos while there was some decent light in the place.

Attachments

• IMG_9794 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9794 - Copy.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_9793 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9793 - Copy.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_9792 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9792 - Copy.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_9791 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9791 - Copy.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9790 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9790 - Copy.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_9789 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9789 - Copy.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_9787 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9787 - Copy.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 267
Next time you photograph the interior set the White Balance to Indoors.

Yeah, I know, was just in too much of a hurry. Thanks for the reminder.

-Roni

Now that we're getting close to finishing the inside, my thoughts have turned to redoing the outside of the rig. I came across this maritime signal flag that I thought would be hilarious on the back of an RV, especially on windy days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_maritime_signal_flags 
But I don't like the way it looks placed just under the brake light. Looks like the brake light is part of the decal.
I'm thinking we should paint the whole rig to look like this!  ;D

-Roni

Attachments

• IMG_9786 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9786 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9786 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9786 - Copy.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 121
I've been so frustrated with the lack of choices in RV lighting, that I broke down and asked a lighting manufacturer to consider expanding their business into 12v fixtures for RVs and boats. I did get a response from them but I guess I led them to believe I wanted them to make something just for me. Which they will do, but their prices begin at about $500 for a custom fixture.

If they understood the niche in the market in this area, I'm hoping they'd produce fixtures at an affordable cost. Does anyone want to be counted toward market research in this area? Want to make your voice heard?

Email me if you do or post on my updated (as of today) blog and be counted.  If you care to, share what kind of style you're looking for in lighting.
Let's do this!..lol
-Roni

If you wait a bit I'll paint your RV haha! I finally posted up my oh-so-nearly finished paint job-out with the bright in with the serene. I just love your remodel it is actually twisting up my mind on things I am doing in mine, but we have similar tastes. I have heard people saying that dark woods inside will be gloomy on rainy days or in the evening and yours will never be gloomy! I have dark wood floors and cabinets then bam! the bathroom is white and pale green with the dark wood floor. Still working on my tiny little bamboo doors for the bathroom opening. On the bright side, I have NO kitchen or really no stove, removed it and the sink since I refuse to cook in my "retirement". DH can grill and eat sandwiches. I did put in a microwave and we have the fridge. I have a feeling once I finish up and get it out of the shop I won't be able to wait til October to leave. Had to miss two days of work last week because of the snow YUCK

We spent the weekend putting the wood veneer up. I love the way it looks in the bathroom, but the stain came out way too dark for the rest of the rig. Used a slightly lighter gray in just the kitchen area and did a more natural color in the living room slide area.

We hung a skim board on one of the bathroom walls. It's a little high though, so we're going to lower it. And we just realized we need to paint the side of the vanity. The faux wood plank floors are almost done, so we're getting there!

On the bright side, I have NO kitchen or really no stove, removed it
That would be a dream!

-Roni

Attachments

• IMG_0331 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0331 - Copy.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0332 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0332 - Copy.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0350 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0350 - Copy.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 71
tstumpf said:
I've been so frustrated with the lack of choices in RV lighting, that I broke down and asked a lighting manufacturer to consider expanding their business into 12v fixtures for RVs and boats. I did get a response from them but I guess I led them to believe I wanted them to make something just for me. Which they will do, but their prices begin at about $500 for a custom fixture.

If it's an incandescent bulb fixture, all you have to do is adapt a 12 volt LED bulb to the fixture's socket and you're good to go.

Do a Google search - there are several manufacturers making such adapters.  Here's one example that will adapt a G4 LED puck to several different bases.

Or you could make your own custom adapters by breaking a 120 volt bulb and salvaging it's base.  Solder the LED module's leads to the base contacts.  Fill the base with modeling clay or even some epoxy putty to give it rigidity and hold the LED module in the orientation you want.

P.S. Roni, I apologize for editing your message above.  My fat fingers hit the wrong button when I was trying to quote from it and I had to go back and fix my mistake.  :-[

Thanks, Lou. That's what we did with the fixture over the dining table and the swing arm next to the couch.
But both fixtures are a little too big for the area. Hung them anyway because they were the only thing that  came close to what I wanted.

Did talk to a lighting manufacturer about making fixtures for me, they're still getting back to me on the price. They also said they'd consider opening a line for RV fixtures. Already wired for 12v, a little smaller in size to fit RVs and boats, and an affordable price given that these babies just don't last forever. The first company I checked with said their fixtures start at $500 and go to $2,000. Thanked them anyway.

Except for some minor tweaking, the kitchen's finished! The wood veneer is up and the floors are in. I love the floors and they were so easy to put in (especially since Trevor was the one doing it! ha ha)

Carpet guy is on his way as we speak to pick up the couch to make a slip cover for it, then install the carpeting. Almost done!

-Roni

Attachments

• IMG_0365 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0365 - Copy.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0368 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0368 - Copy.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members