New photography club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
It took 18 months, but I was finally successful in forming a new photography club within our local retired guys club. There's a lot of competition from some very active (and large) bowling and golf groups, but we were able to get 6 guys to join the new group. Today was the second of two monthly meetups, hosted at our house.

We're currently doing some hands-on training with members' cameras, in addition to critiquing commercially published photos. Going forward, we have field trips planned, and I expect to include boat trips on our wildlife-intensive California Delta waterways.

My (selfish) objective is to learn from the experts.

Sounds like a plan. I am surprised it took 18 months and even more surprised that you kept trying that long. I would have given up long long ago.

LOL Jim, I've learned to be patient with this group. We're a club of 160+ members and have many wonderful members, including a 90-year old 3-time Olympian. I'm the local "Geek Squad", and visit members' homes by road and by boat.

My next challenge is to start up a musical group, maybe an ensemble of guitar, fiddle, ukulele, harmonica, accordian, and xxx?

Tom

Just bought a Nikon 5200 at COSTCO for our upcoming trip to Alaska.  Being in NY it will be difficult to make meetings. Leaving for Florida next month.  Soon as our daughters new baby gets squared away. 

Jim

Hope you don't mind questions.

Fire away with those questions Jim, and hopefully one or more of the photo experts around here will respond (I'm a neophyte).

Congratulations of on the Nikon!

I would be very interested in joining if you are anywhere near the Sacramento area...dave

Dave, we're approx an hour and 15 minutes south of the I-5/Hwy 50 intersection (from I-5, approx 15 miles west on Hwy 4). The photography club was set up under the auspices of the SIR organization (Sons In Retirement). If you're not a member of one of the SIR branches, but you'd still like to attend, I'll gladly check to see if guests are welcome.

Edit: More correctly, we're an hour and 15 minutes from SAC airport.

[quote author=Tom] ... I'll gladly check to see if guests are welcome.[/quote]

Dave, don't know if it's drivable for you, but I confirmed that you'd be welcome to attend, even if you're not a member of a SIR branch. Send me a PM if you wish to attend, and I'll send you details.

Tin man said:
Tom

Just bought a Nikon 5200 at COSTCO for our upcoming trip to Alaska.  Being in NY it will be difficult to make meetings. Leaving for Florida next month.  Soon as our daughters new baby gets squared away. 

Jim

Hope you don't mind questions.

Locally in Sacramento you might want to check out Pardee's Camera shop on El Camino at Watt. A lot of pros hang out there plus the sales folk will answer most any question you have. I paid a bit more at the time (vs. Costco or Sam's) but bought my 1st two digital Cameras there years ago. The first one they took all of my no longer used dark room equipment in trade.

http://www.pardeescameras.com/

We're new to the forum.  We are both working on degrees in professional photography.  We have purchased the majority of our photo equipment on line from B & H Photo in NY.  Great service, great advice, and competitive prices.  If the price is within 5% to 10% of the competitor we will usually go with B & H.  They also have some excellent on line videos. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom