1984 Eagle Bus "Professional" Conversion Insurance Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyVangeloff

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 1984 Eagle Conversion bus that was converted to a party bus with plumbing, generator, 3 air conditioners, bathroom, 110V power, kitchen and refrigerator. Before having the bus driven to me by the previous owner, I need to sign up for an insurance provider. I have driven school bus conversions in the past but have never dealt with purchasing insurance for a conversion. I plan on using the bus 5-8 times a year for festivals and trips to specific cities that would last no more than 4-8 days each.

Could I get some suggestions on where and how I should purchase insurance for this vehicle. I added pictures to this post to show you what I am currently working with and am also planning on installing a bed and a few bunk beds in the back that will replace the near couches.

I would suggest any advice on the best way for me to request a quote with any companies and how to explain the conversion to my agent.

Thank you.

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 106
  • long-view-2.jpg
    long-view-2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 111
  • kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 91
  • bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 90
One suggestion would be to check with the previous owner and see where they was insured.

Well, they had it insured commercially as a party bus. Mine will be insured as an RV as I am not using it for commercial reasons. I have so far gotten a quote with National General, does anybody have any other companies that know will insure conversion buses such as my own.

I received a quote from National General for $966.40 for $100,000/$300,000 Bodily Injury $100,000 Property Damage (No Collision or Comprehensive as the agent said I wasn't eligible based on the year of the bus) I found this to be quite a high rate compared to what I see school buses being insured for 150-200 bucks for 6 month plans.

Am I saying something wrong to the agent when requesting a quote? Should I not even mention a bus conversion and just call it an Eagle RV. I told him I was only planning on using no more than 30 days out of the year and said I could turn on/off bases on off season usage in 30 day increments.

Do I have more insurance options for this type of Bus? Please let me know. Thanks.

Well a couple of things come to mind right away. 1st how is the conversion titled? Is it titled as a RV or bus? Because it was used commercially it was probably titled as a bus. So that would need to be changed. Also you can get any amount of coverage that you want it all depends on how much you want to pay. If you insure it for replacement value than that is the price that you set for your rv and that is what you pay for. You have a very expensive coach and there are certain liabilities that go along with owning something like that rather than just a smaller say 24 foot class c motor home. Age does come into it as far as normal insurance coverage. Meaning that if you just get basic coverage than that is all that you will get. They will not have a value in their books for what might have been done to your RV conversion wise. That is why I mentioned you can have replacement value but you will have to pay. Example say your coach is purchased for 45,000 and in there book a 84 bus/RV is only worth 5,000. But like a custom car you can set a value on it and pay on that amount so as you can protect your investment. That is a really nice looking coach but if you only want the cheapest coverage out there for a couple of hundred than I'm sorry to say that you bought the wrong RV. Owning something like this is not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom