What brand toilet paper to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
This morning, I tried to dump my black water tank and when it got to probably half way, it stopped flowing. The pipe was plugged. Luckily I was able to transfer water from my gray tank to the black tank and that unplugged it. It drain after that.  While it was draining it look like I was seeing a lot of paper through the clear sewer fitting. We were using Northern Quilted paper which was recommended by someone on the forum and I won't mention any names.  I took a sheet (off a new roll of course) and put it in a glass of water. It's been over 8 hrs. now and it looks like brand new. It's not breaking down at all.  I seem to remember a short time ago, someone did a unofficial experiment and posted the results on this forum. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have had good results with a certain brand and what was it? I don't want to use the paper sold at RV stores. I think it's a big rip-off. I'm sure there are brands out there which would work just as well.

We used to use Angel Soft but its new reformulation did not meet the quickly dissolving water test. Scott's single ply has been working well for us.

We have used the Kirtland brand from Costco for years with no problems.

To check for your self, put a sheet in a glass of water and stir lightly and watch it dissolve or at least breakup.  It is always good to test a new purchase to know what you have.

Also be sure and use plenty of water when you flush.

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. Let me ask one thing. Could everyone planning on replying to my question, please conduct your own test and tell everyone what the outcome was.  This could end up by being a good overall survey.

We use the same Charmin Ultra in the coach that we use in our cottage, and have for years. We also make sure we use an adequate amount of water when flushing. In static testing, the Charmin broke down in 60-70 seconds, much faster than I can pull up my pants and run around to pull the waste valve. No matter which brand of paper you use, the key is to use enough water with it.

Ewwww, hadn't tested Angel Soft recently so just did. Not good. After an hour, not dissolved, just a big blog. Time for a change. And perhaps time for a comparison test at Quartzsite.

Thanks Wendy.
Good info. Hope many more people do a test and gets back to us. Looks like Dutche's Charmin has the lead so far. I'm going out tomorrow to buy some and give it another test. Stand by!!!!

Tom, try the water breakdown test on the RV TP. You'll find many lower cost (and more comfortable!) standard brand TP's that compare very favorably to it.

Check out the TP test/results in our forum Library (button in the toolbar above). The winner was repeatedly Quilted Northern.

Becks said:
Kirtland brand from Costco for us.

My brother use to by that from Costco in a Gross (144) roll quantity.  I was staying with him for a while and it favorably substituted for 220 grit sand paper. ;D ;D ;D

Camping World in Henderson NV was recently selling a single roll of RV TP for .25 cents per roll.  It was about the same as 80 grit 2 ply sand paper.  It did work OK as far as dissolving and sanding my chip carvings too.

Tom said:
Check out the TP test/results in our forum Library (button in the toolbar above). The winner was repeatedly Quilted Northern.

I think we need to retest them all. Looks some have been reformulated.

Quilted Northern still works for us, in the RV, on the boat, and in our stick house. Retest to your heart's content.

Back
Top Bottom