"RVing with pets"? HAHAHAHA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK Dave

Hi all.  I'm new to RVing and to this forum.  While scanning it, I found this category and it made me laugh out loud.

For the past several years, my wife and I cruised down the east coast in our trawler, along with two pit bulls.  Most people aren't sure what a pit bull actually looks like, so we usually say that they're mutts.  In Georgia, we told folks they were Georgia Bulldogs.

Breed discrimination is usually by those who aren't dog lovers, and believe media hype.  We rarely had issues at marinas where we stayed.  Quite honestly, if I was inquiring of an RV park that didn't allow pit bulls or other breeds, I wouldn't want to stay there anyway.

Right now, we're heading south in our caravan.  I'm driving the RV, along with our daughter, two pit bulls, and two cats.  My wife is driving the car with our German Shorthaired Pointer, towing her horse in his trailer.  We're staying at "horse hotels", which are farms and stables that will board your horse and let you plug into an outlet in the barn.  Can you imagine if I pulled this convoy into a fancy RV park with dog restrictions?    ;D

The problem with Pit Bulls is bad owners..  Bad owners buy them because they look mean and people have been told they are mean, then the bad owner teaches them to be mean.

But are they, by nature mean.. Generally no (Though there is such a thing as a defective dog or a sick dog to be more accurate).. usually if you encounter a mean dog it is either MEAN owner...

Or MEAN brats

I have seen some very nice dogs driven to self defense on occasion.

We have owned a number of larger dogs and presently have 2 pit bull/boxer mixes that we rescued from the Humane Society.  I feel that the pit bull has gotten a bad rap in general and have never had an issue with them.  They can be the most friendly, lovable dogs you will find.  It is true that they were bred for fighting but that does not mean that they are attack dogs.  I think that you find bad temperament in any breed and that it has more to do with the owner than the breed.

Having said that, we have found campgrounds with specific breed restrictions and usually just pass them by as we feel they do not have a good grasp/like of pets in general.

We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that we got from The SEEACA Shelter in Downey, CA.  We named him Coqui (like Cokie), short for the Spanish word coqueto, which means flirtatious.  This is the sweetest natured dog I have ever met (see attached picture - Doesn't he look mean?), very well behaved, but banned from most for-profits parks because of his breed.  That is why we stick mainly to state parks and other public-type parks run by regional or county governments.  They self-ensure, so you don't get the breed discrimination of for-profit parks. 

I think any dog should be given one chance.  If the dog has a crappy owner, then send them both packing.  It is sad indeed that everyone has to be punished for the misdeeds of the few.

Attachments

• Coqui-websmall.gif
    Coqui-websmall.gif
    91.5 KB · Views: 73
vmax1 said:
I sure glad where Im staying now has a pit bull ban.

And I'm sure glad I'm not parked anywhere near you.  Anyone who believes that pit bulls, or any other breed, are more aggressive than any other simply don't understand dogs.  Or different races of people, I'm guessing.

And no, pit bulls were not bred for fighting.  They were bred to be powerful medium sized dogs that could bring down cattle.  Like bulls.  Hence the name.  But they are most certainly affectionate towards people, especially children.  If your kids were being attacked by something, you would want my female pit bull to be close by.  As a "nanny dog", I've personally witnessed her chase kids out of the surf on the beach because she thought it was too rough.

ADK Dave said:
And I'm sure glad I'm not parked anywhere near you.  Anyone who believes that pit bulls, or any other breed, are more aggressive than any other simply don't understand dogs.  Or different races of people, I'm guessing.
I understand dogs completely and that is why I don't like pit bulls. They hold the record every year for most bites.

SeilerBird said:
I understand dogs completely and that is why I don't like pit bulls. They hold the record every year for most bites.

No, they do not.  Not even  close.  There are no accurate records of dog bites by breed, and many mutts are classified as pit bulls or "pit bull types".  If you truly understood dogs, you would know that 95% of dog bites are by unneutered males, regardless of breed.

Being afraid of pit bulls is like being afraid of lightning.  There is a basis in fact, but the threat is truly non-existent.

I don't see any reason for us forum members to get into a urinating contest over dogs.

If you don't like red meat, don't buy red meat. 
If you don't like pit bulls (or cats, or Chihuahuas) then don't buy a pit bull (or cat, or Chihuahua).
If you don't like a fifth wheeler, don't buy a fifth wheeler.

If someone tries to force you to eat red meat, be around a pit bull or buy a fifth wheeler, then you have a legitimate complaint.  When I am walking my dog, if I see a Nervous Nellie coming in the other direction, I'll have my dog sit off the sidewalk until they pass.  I usually get a nice smile and sometimes even a thank you.  They can readily see that (a) the dog is not vicious, and (b) the owner is in control.  This is what I have been trying to been trying to expound.  It is the OWNERS and not the DOGS.

DISCLAIMER:  I have nothing against red meat nor fifth wheelers.  Used for illustration only.

I was on a website last week that listed number 1 dog for bites as the dachshund, Pits and Dobies are alot closer to the bottom of the list. The problem is when a wiener dog bites, you limp to the car and go home. If a pit or my dobie bites you run to your car and go to the hospital.

Every dog can and will bite at one time or another, even little FiFi so don't kid yourself. So far the only person my dobie has bitten is me and that's because he plays too rough and at 109 lbs all he has to do is drag his teeth across my old skin and I'm bleeding.

I've done residential inspections where the homeowner warns us of bad dog and the only times I have been bitten was once by a darned cocker spaniel that sneaked up behind me. Close call was a trained guard dog, a german shepard owned by a prominent attorney who had no signage or security lock on the gate.

My Dobie is going with me camping, he stays on leash and within my grasp. What I really wish is that others keep theirs on leash and would have the good sense to not approach my dog as if he is their friend.....understand that he is my friend not anyone else and his reactions would be similar to that of a person being approached by a stranger.

Every dog regardless of breed has a unique personality and some are even neurotic and unstable, maybe born that way or made that way by abuse.  A lot of people cant raise their children properly so how can we expect those people to train a dog. Most don't know the difference between discipline and punishment.

SeilerBird said:

Well if you understand dogs completely you know that to the idiots in the Media every time a dog bites someone that dog is a PIT BULL,, May be a terrier, Or a Doberman, Or a shepard or a french poodle, but to the media if it bites it's a pit bull.  (Ok perhaps I went a bit far with French Poodle).

I have seen many breeds called Pit Bulls by the media that were clearly NOT pit bulls.

And I'm much more likely to get bit by a Mexican Hairless (Can not spell the bread name close enough for Speil Clunk to correct it) than a pit bull or any of the other regulated breeds.

Even Chows are safer than those tiny little yappy things.

I say again,, Baring illness or dogs driven to self defense by bullies,, THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS.. only bad owners.

And a dog that protects the kids with it's life if needed... GOOD DOG!

A friend tells the story of two dogs.. One a Dachshund (Wenier dog) The other a Doberman with a bad owner.. The Doberman got out of the yeard w/o leash and went after the Dach's pet human's children.

Doberman never made it... The Witnessess say the Dach never moved but the Doberman never made it.

GOOD Dachshund is about all I have to say.

I know this is getting a little out of hand, but an important statistic to know is that 95% of dog bites are by unneutered males.  Yes, this would certainly include pit bulls.  But if you ask any veternarian or vet tech (my wife is a vet tech), the dogs that exhibit the most aggressive behavior are the "C" dogs.  Chihuahuas, Chows, Collies, Cocker Spaniels, and so on.

In tests by the American Temperment Test Society, pit bulls are ranked higher than most dogs, including favorites such as the Golden Retriever and Beagle.

Some parting advice.  If you avoid dogs with testicles, you'll be fine.

There it is.. As I said, the breed most likely to bite me: Chihuahuas,  That's the one I can't spell.

I've petted a lot of big breeds, but Dogs seem to have no sense of size.. That little Chihuahuas thinks he is exactly as big as a pit bull or a Saint, or even a Great Dane..  And the Dane's.. They think they can fit through holes that are tight fits for a chow, or a Chihuahuas.

Yup, Dogs can be fun.  Only two have ever actually bitten me and only one of them actually got me between his teeth.  That was an accident and my fault (I put my hand in his mouth as he was closing it, SOON as he realized what happened he opened it again, No damage did not break skin). He was an albion Sheppard and our family dog. Dumb as a stump, Liked to chase black cats that had a white stripe down their back.... And sleep under parent's window.

The other one was a Rot that a week later had to be put down for biting family.. He did not get me between his teeth but did hit the nail on, I think my thumb with one tooth.  Finger was already moving out of the way.

Had a few more TRY to bite me but I'm rather good at reading body language so when the jaws closed.. I was... Elsewhere.  Which is the best place to be.

I think after reading this thread,  I would have more fear of the owners (biting me),  who so vehemently insist on defending their breed of choice trying to convince everyone that their lovable li'l pooper is not what most peoples common sense tells them it is. 

Dogs bite and some breeds are definitely to be given a wide berth.

If your dog is so lovable, then why the need to leap to the whole breeds defense?

My little story:  We had an S type doggie,aka (Shi Tsu) until he was sixteen years old. He decided to call it quits after becoming blind and deaf even after us spending thousands with the vets to keep him alive.

A vicious dog...  loved to kiss and behaved like a good, (hopefully), teenager is expected to behave. Until one day when I was doting him a bit too much and he got annoyed and nipped at my thumb. I didn't know that his front teeth were actually honed to a needle point.  Ouch, drew a pinpoinit of blood near my nail. I forgave him.
  Next day my thumb was sore and become infected. Took a week to heal after multi applications of Bactine spray.  Nice doggie, I said, we still love you.

Should we add them to the vicious dog breed ?

He was black and white and answered to Panda. However; we kept his fur short.

A quick peek >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih_Tzu

Tom Hoffman said:
If your dog is so lovable, then why the need to leap to the whole breeds defense?

I guess maybe we offer a defense of our voiceless dogs because:

(1)  Not everyone HAS common sense.
(2)  People continue to believe that the DOG is bad when it is the OWNER that is responsible for their training and behavior.  If your dog is vicious, get rid of it!
(3)  Same reason as why women have the right to vote (They haven't always.).  Same reason why black people are no longer in slavery or ride at the back of the bus (They were and did.).  Same reason why dope smokers in Colorado can now toke freely. They could not previously).  In other words, if you don't make any noise, you will stay in the same place you are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom