"RVing with pets"? HAHAHAHA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so mean I know how to use a computer.!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 734139_399891040139244_1986705358_n.jpg
    734139_399891040139244_1986705358_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 23
Here's Ringo in one of his more vicious moods.

Attachments

• 2012 spring pics 016 (Small).JPG
    2012 spring pics 016 (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 48
When's the last time you heard of a poodle attacking someone on the news? It happens but just isn't sensational enough to report. Pits were never a issue until the media got a hold of them, making them even more popular for the junk yard dog role.  It is true they can do some considerable damage and quick too but that's true for any large breed. Some breeds can be more vicious but your basic sweet and loveable Lab can really tear you up.

BinaryBob said:
If expressions could speak, Ringo is saying, "Take one more picture of me, I'll bury that camera in your backside."  ;D
Bob, I think you are right.

I'm in Arizona. If you ever decide to come out west and see the Grand Canyon, come stay with us. It's an RV Park with no pet restrictions except, control and waste clean up. We even have people come in and walk their cats on leashes.
Nearly everyone who comes in has pets..mostly dogs. The biggest issue we have is people picking up their poo. Sometimes we get those, "oh my dog is nice, I don't need a leash" people..but we give them a choice. Leash or leave. However, there is a cool little plateau just below us that also serves as a prairie dog village where the dogs can run, hopefully they have good recall first.
I have yet to see ANY dog catch one of those little critters..they are smart and spend a good deal of their life avoiding coyotes, so no worries there. Our dogs dig to china trying and they're good hunters.
So, keep the west in mind.
I have a bully x. A pit bull is not really a breed, it's a mix..most people couldn't recognize a pitbull mix to save their life. Anything with a big head is a pit bull. Mine is Staffordshire terrier and Catahoula, not so much of a block head as some. It's my job to teach her to act right. She's 14 and I've had her since she was 10 weeks.

We are Canyon Gateway RV Park. North of the town of Williams, AZ at exit 163. We are about 60 miles west of the South rim. Come on over, bring a leash and poo bags..lmao. :p

startingover said:
We are Canyon Gateway RV Park. North of the town of Williams, AZ at exit 163. We are about 60 miles west of the South rim.

We spent 3 nights there 3 years ago this month.  Nice park, but it was windy :)  Are you still Passport America members?

Yes, Ned, some days are windy. Today certainly is. We are, after all, on the top of mountain..sort of. We no longer take Passport America. Don't know if that will change anytime soon. Sorry.
It is a beautiful area. I'm sort of new to Arizona myself..but I really like this area. I've only been here since summer '13.

SeilerBird said:
I understand dogs completely and that is why I don't like pit bulls. They hold the record every year for most bites.

Not sure about bites, Tom - but pit bulls easily hold the record for killing people. Some may bite more, but pit bulls can kill if they want to. One of my pet peeves (no pun intended) are folks that explain as their dog approaches me, "Oh, not to worry, he won't bite" . . .

Had a new neighbor years ago while living in San Mateo. I met him in his front yard one day and he explained all this about his 2 dobs. The next day while working in my back yard, the male jumped the fence between our properties and attacked me. I barely made it to my patio door. The next day I showed the neighbor the teeth and saliva marks on my patio door and molding. He crashed into it at the end of his leap at me with teeth bared.

Yes, it "was" the neighbors fault - but as I explained, the next time I would have a weapon handy whenever in my back yard until I was assured it would not happen again.

As commented on this website -- "Some dogs don't let go . . ."

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/9-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf

Dogbites.org is filled with all sorts of skewed statistics. Not a reliable source for information.

Bob Buchanan said:
    Not sure about bites, Tom - but pit bulls easily hold the record for killing people. Some may bite more, but pit bulls can kill if they want to.

http://listcrown.com/top-10-dog-breeds-bite/

http://puppytoob.com/dog-breeds/the-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-based-on-biting-statistics/11/

Every list I found when I Googled dog bites listed Pit Bulls at the top of the list.

I have two dogs now, a Miniature Dachshund who has a bad attitude, and a Bloodhound/Shepherd mix puppy...I would never trust either one not to bite a stranger who might approach, therefore, both are always on a leash when we are out. This weekend we will start the obedience training with the puppy beginning with puppy kindergarten. In 6-months he will be a well-behaved member of the family. I still will never trust either of our fur-babies to the point of being off-leash where other people/pets may be present.

Neither of my pets is capable of killing a person, but they are capable of biting one's hand really good.

startingover said:
Dogbites.org is filled with all sorts of skewed statistics. Not a reliable source for information.

This from their website,

"DogsBite.org contains verifiable information about U.S. citizens killed by dogs
including the name and age of each victim, location of attack, dog breed and up
to 18 other factors. Source citations are available at www.DogsBite.org."

Can you post any "skewed statistic" they post and reference to verify that it is skewed?

Bob Buchanan said:
Can you post any "skewed statistic" they post and reference to verify that it is skewed?
No she cannot. She owns a pit bull and all pit bull owners are in denial as to just how dangerous the breed really is. This is because their "baby" would never bite anyone so therefore all pit bulls are harmless. They just don't seem to understand why most non pit bull owning people fear pit bulls. Personally I would trust a lion before I would trust a pit bull.

I'm not sure it's necessary to turn this nasty. It's certainly a touchy subject all over. First, I'm a 50 something SHE. Not a he. My biggest fear is Labradors..I've been viciously attacked by 3 different ones as a child. Poorly raised dogs are a problem everywhere. Pitbulls are no exception. No, I've never had an issue with my dog and people, dogs are another story..but I keep her leashed.
My sister on the other hand has two dogs, neither are anything close to any sort of pitbull breed and I can assure you, they WILL bite strangers.
I'm not going to get into the pitbull debate with you on this forum, I don't think it's appropriate. I suggest you look to information and articles that are NOT anti pitbull to get some information, just to calm your own fears. They are in the end, just dogs. Dogs that aim to please and that often leads to unscrupulous owners who ask their dogs to do unimaginable things sometimes. But not all pit bull owners are trying to show how tough our dogs are or prove anything to anyone else..we just love the breed and their clownish antics.
Here is a random article I easily googled..anyone can find anything, good or bad, if you look hard enough on the internet. http://www.examiner.com/article/pit-bulls-score-better-on-temperament-tests-than-the-general-dog-population
I hope we can agree that we can disagree and not get into the nastiness.
Here's another to ponder..http://www.pickthepit.com/

startingover said:
I'm not sure it's necessary to turn this nasty.
It did not turn nasty until you accused Bob of lying by posting stats that were wrong, then you failed to back up you claims when he asked politely for clarification.

Dogbites.org was started by one woman who came up behind a dog and startled it. Do you know the story about that site and the woman who started it? All I'm saying is, I don't think THIS forum is the place for a heated discussion about pitbulls.
I fear Labradors, but I understand in my intellectual mind that they are just a product of their upbringing. You asked for clarification of what?? I posted a link about an article stating that pitbulls score higher on temperament tests than the general population of dogs.
I'm happy to find a better site for the debate if you like. I just don't think THIS is it.
Also, I don't think it's gotten nasty just yet. I just don't want to participate in it at that level on THIS SITE.

startingover said:
You asked for clarification of what?? I posted a link about an article stating that pitbulls score higher on temperament tests than the general population of dogs.

Please re read my post - it specifies exactly what I've asked clarification for. And that is not an unreasonable request. Whatever the person's reasons for starting the site are - if they post information that is wrong or skewed, they should be called to task. Your references have nothing to do with that issue that I can see so far.

For example,

do you disagree with the number of people killed between '05 and '13" by pit bulls - or any of the other numbers on the page I reference? If so, what is the proper number and where might I find that information?

I do agree with most of the rest of the info you post. "All" dogs have a good side and I have raised many over the years - three Irish Setters as to my favorites. But that's not the issue here. The issue is that I post that Pit Bulls have the ability to kill people and have killed many more than any other dog - and backed that with a reference.  They were bred to do just that to other dogs - and is why their jaws are so wide and muscular. They bite and don't let go just as a shark does until their opponent is dead.

BTW, I'm a man quite a bit over "50" -- and my name is Bob . . .  :)

These are just a few I read about in my area of NCal and one in Colton.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/24/local/la-me-dog-maul-20130925

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/04/12/stockton-woman-attacked-and-killed-by-pit-bull/

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=9203537

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=9411435

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom