rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: HEPVO traps  (Read 2774 times)

Jenny

• ---
HEPVO traps
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Hi there-

I've got the 1 1/2" HEPVO trap but I'm finding that none of the American 1 1/2" Abs pipe fits it.  How do I connect this part to the drain pipe as far as size, part, etc.?  I also need to do this with another HEPVO trap 1 1/4".

Frustrated!

Thanks so much for your help-
Jenny

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: HEPVO traps
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
Are you making a compression joint or threaded? Is the fit too big (pipe won't fit in) or too loose?  If a compression joint, does the rubber seal slip onto the pipe?  The nominal OD of 1.5" plastic pipe (schedule 40 or 80) is 1.9". Is that what your ABS measures?

Maybe a call to Hepvo is in order?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

captsteve

• ---
  • measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
HEPVO is made to use with abs pipe and abs pipe is kinda the norm for grey and black water plumbing. In order to use PVC you will have to get PVC slip fittings and traps
Capt Steve has the Conn, Trina navigator ( Admiral )
2004 American Revolution 40c (aka Fat Girl) **Sold**
2017 Ram 1500 (Future Toad)
Piper Archer II  (Where the RV money goes)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
HEPVO is made to use with abs pipe and abs pipe is kinda the norm for grey and black water plumbing.

Yeah, but ABS material is used in several different spec /grades of piping. Just saying it is ABS doesn't dictate the size specification. Guessing he bought it at Lowes or Depot, it is probably what the retailers call DWV (drain/waste/vent pipe), meaning non-pressurized applications. PVC is also available for DWV, but he says he is using ABS. I think the commonly available DWV ABS is all Schedule 40 spec, which has an OD of 1.9" for 1.5" pipe. That's the same as PVC water pipe. Schedule 40, 80 and 120 all have the same OD specifications for a given pipe size, but the wall thickness varies. Schedule 20 (thin wall) is different, though.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

captsteve

• ---
  • measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »
Gotcha Gary! I just have never had any luck mixing abs and pvc. Kinda like pvc and cpvc the sizes have always seemed a bit off.
Capt Steve has the Conn, Trina navigator ( Admiral )
2004 American Revolution 40c (aka Fat Girl) **Sold**
2017 Ram 1500 (Future Toad)
Piper Archer II  (Where the RV money goes)

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
After looking at their website and the install instructions I believe it is tube DWV) sized. That is slightly smaller than copper tube size and considerably smaller than IPS ( iron pipe size). look for trap adapters that will go from PVC (ABS is usually the same size which is IPS) to PVC DWV tube size. Easiest way is to take it with you to the home improvement store and start fitting things together.

I'm not condemning them but in our state they are not allowed to be used in a building due to the code not allowing a mechanical seal in place of a water seal. It's very similar to a backwater valve which are a constant annoyance due to leakage.  That being said they seem like a good idea for a motor home.

BTW the ABS drain pipe in our Winnie is IPS..same as PVC.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Jenny

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info on the Hep/Abs/pvc, ect.  I ended up using trap adapters with a tail piece.  The nuances are many when it comes to sizes/types.  I went to a plumbing supply store, layed my pieces on the counter and said "can you get me from this piece to that piece?"  They quickly had all the parts out and helped me understand what they had done. Your conversations have been incredibly helpful to me.  Thanks again.

Jenny