Older RV is charged more at RV Park??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mestephen

Hello,

I am a brand new RV owner and am looking for an RV park in Portland OR area. I have requested a reservation for a RV Park in the area. They have told me that my RV is too old and they have to charge me more - double the rate!!!!

Has anyone heard of this? My RV is a 1989 but totally remodeled and in great working condition-I looks great! Why would this be? Does it cost more for an RV park to do business with an older RV owner?

Thanks for your help!!
~M~

Welcome to the Forum! but that's a real head scratcher! Many parks hang an age restriction to limit less than well maintained older units, but this sounds a lot like they just don't want your rig and thought the money would run you off...

Well, someone has to be paid to follow you around and pick up the pieces that fall off. :D :D  Seriously, I'd just ask them straight out why older RV rates are higher.  Be civil about it and maybe they will explain.  Then report back.  I think we'd all like to know.

I just don't get this. I've read threads here of age restrictions in some parks. Why?
What's next? Submit a photo for pre-approval?
Do some park owners have some arbitrary image they feel needs to be maintained?
I personally don't care if I'm parked next to some duct taped piece of crap. Those folks might even be more handy if I have a problem with my rig.

Let everyone here know the name of the RV park, so others can stay away
Also post your experience on  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

I swear, some camp grounds gonna do that to me and you know what? My RV suddenly stops running sometimes, just shuts off, you know. For no reason, at the most awkward moment. For instance, blocking their entrance! I don't know, it must be electronical. It always restarts, in a couple ah 10 minutes, it depends....

Bill

I was told they do that because people come in with no money, no job, in a beat up rig, don't pay the rent and it's next to impossible for the campground owner to evict them out of there.

-Roni

This flabergasts us as well - we have an 84 Pace Arrow MH, totally remodeled, runs and looks great - we dig the vintage aesthetic, chose this one over new ones and have antique license plates on her. Been fulltimers for over 3 months now and have been turned down for numerous reservations when they find out our rig is 30 years old on the phone.

BinaryBob - you jest but I have come across three parks now when calling ahead, that requested photo pre-approval via email or website submission.

This be super stupid in our opinion. Turning away customers in this economy in such a small community? There must be more important things to life than to be so invested in such things.

AmeDeBoheme said:
This be super stupid in our opinion. Turning away customers in this economy in such a small community? There must be more important things to life than to be so invested in such things.
Actually, having witnessed the all too common "snooty" camper, I'm not surprized with age limits.  Campgrounds must walk the thin line between satisfying the "snoots" and accomodating all others.  Displease too many of either and they're in trouble quick.

Molaker said:
Actually, having witnessed the all too common "snooty" camper, I'm not surprized with age limits.  Campgrounds must walk the thin line between satisfying the "snoots" and accomodating all others.  Displease too many of either and they're in trouble quick.

Maybe they all need to lighten up a bit - life is way more than all that tawdry stuff. ;-p

I've heard of not allowing older RVs but never heard of charging more. Personally, if a park doesn't want me and my coach, I'll find another campground to give my money to.

Give me a nice friendly family in a beat up old travel trailer camped next to me over a snotty, cranky fussbudget in a $200K motorhome any day.

Once I was told that I could not park in one section of their park because "The Club" was parking there. Wife and walked down to see about 8 $1,000,000 RVs parked. Didn't see anyone outside, but I didn't feel that I had missed anything. I went back to the "common folks section" and talked to my type folks.

Frank

I really would not want to be allowed in and then find out the upperclass are going to treat me like I was treated in school because I was from a poor family going to school with affluent kids. It is better to be turned away than be snubbed and have to stay the length of time you rented for or leave and lose the monies you paid.  ;D ;D

BinaryBob said:
What's next? Submit a photo for pre-approval?

This is exactly what we had to do with our 1991 Beaver Contessa about ten years or so ago when we went to the Outdoor Resorts RV Park in Las Vegas with some friends for the drag races.  They replied back and said they would be happy to have us but we did have to send a photo because of its age and their 10-year restriction rule.

My in-laws said they wouldn't have stayed there out of principal but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Granted I don't think the people were to happy that were next to us in their new Newell but I didn't care, I had just as much right to be there as the next person and had just as nice a time. 

I still don't get the whole charge you double on the nightly rate though.  I would definitely find another campground.

Mike.

Perhaps my noobness is showing, but the photo thing astounds me.
If I had a gazillion dollar MH, which I certainly do not, I would never stay in such a place that requires a certain look to grace their premises.

If they don't "want" my "old" RV in there, I'm not going to work too hard trying to convince them.  Move on and find another place, give someone else your business.  A large city like Portland has got to have several options for RV camping.  In my 5 years of motorhome ownership (with an "old" 1994 Class A) I never ran across a park that turned me down due to age... but I don't think those restrictions are too common in the Midwest.  State/federal campgrounds would be good options if they are open this time of year.  They are all closed for the season here in Illinois, but it's currently snowy with single digit temperatures and windchills below 0 today.  :-X

BinaryBob said:
Perhaps my noobness is showing, but the photo thing astounds me.

Actually, sending a photo of ones rig (regardless of age) for longer stays is quite common. Having worked the counter in a number of parks that use my software I can see the reasoning. Some show up without the rig initially because it is such a mess and hardly running. Some just want to find a place to park the beast then leave it the next day vs. abandoning it on the street somewhere.

Once a rig is parked and abandoned, the owner can't touch it for X number of days. They can then bust it open and legally own it. But then they have to try to sell it or whatever. I posted a picture of such a rig a year or so ago abandoned in a park. Not sure what it cost the owner overall - but it wasn't cheap. Some are so bad even salvage yards don't want them.

Have not seen that requirement in any park on an overnight stay - plus have never seen or heard of charging double. That "does" cross the line.

Back
Top Bottom