Disapointed in Grand Design RV owners forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsport

I got a 2014 Grand Design Solitude. Was happy to find a forum dedicated to just the Grand Design line. Very disappointed to find there's a $12.00 yearly fee to participate there.  I'm on many forums and have never been had to pay to participate.
It's not the money, it's the principle......
Rant over

Frizlefrak said:
It's free here.  And I'm willing to bet this is a vastly superior forum.
Free here, yes, but not for our host.  Thanks for reminding me it was passed time for me to ante up.

Yep, some forums are like that. I was, emphasis on was, a member of a make specific forum that not only charged you to belong each year, but insisted on assigning you your forum moniker. I've been bucks2 on virtually every forum since the days of 300 baud modems. That wasn't good enough for them. The admin went in and changed my name and sent me an email stating that only my first initial and last name was acceptable to that club because everyone needed to know who everybody was. Sorry but Buck is my last name and I sign everything with Ken. Are they really that dense? Yep, they sure are.

ken

My drill sergeant used to say "there's always 10 per cent who don't get the word". Life's too short to be aggravated like that.

The fact you remember 300 baud modems should give you some stature.. 8)

I wouldn't be too hard on forums that charge to be a member.  All forums cost somebody money.  The Internet may be free, but server space and access are not.  And, the cost is not dependent upon the number of members.  A forum with 10 members costs about as much as a forum with 1,000 members and I haven't addressed software and development/maintenance time.  I can't imagine a forum specific to mfg line like Grand Design having very many members and $12 a year would not likely generate a profit for the host.  Unfortunately, I doubt if donations instead of dues would come close to covering the cost.  RVforum.net probably is no different.  I doubt if Tom Jones is making a profit and, even if he were, it's worth my dontions to me.

skyking4ar2 said:
My drill sergeant used to say "there's always 10 per cent who don't get the word". Life's too short to be aggravated like that.

The fact you remember 300 baud modems should give you some stature.. 8)

How about 110 baud? Or the 60 wpm on a TTY? Exciting stuff (well, it was back then)...

The  Trailmanor Forum that I still visit on occasion (I used to be a paid member) was $12/year for full access, but a few pieces, including a newcomer's question board were available to all. The forum owner (not associated with anyone, just a private individual like Tom, kept (keeps) it up long after he sold his.

It helps defray his costs.

(yep, my pocket book will be open here)...

Not only do I remember 300 baud, I know exactly where it is, packed away with the IBM PC with two 5 1/4 floppies and the amber monitor. This was before the 10 meg hard drives were available in the AT's and color monitors were produced. I let my TRS 80 get away from me, but I'll bet at least one member on here has one squirreled away.

I don't mind paying the price, I mind being told what I can call myself. Well, that and a few other pecadillos the group had.

Ken

I think I've still got my old Vic 20 and Commodor 64.  Anyone want them? ...for free...shipping only.  I'm trying to trim down.

bucks2 said:
Not only do I remember 300 baud, I know exactly where it is, packed away with the IBM PC with two 5 1/4 floppies and the amber monitor. This was before the 10 meg hard drives were available in the AT's and color monitors were produced. I let my TRS 80 get away from me, but I'll bet at least one member on here has one squirreled away.

Ken

As a matter of fact, you're right. I still have my TRS-80 Model 1 that I bought new in 1978, complete with expansion interface (48K memory), floppy disk drive, 300 baud modem, and running NEWDOS 80. I've not had it set up in years, though, and I'm wondering why I keep it.

Gsport, I see some of these forums but have seen that Facebook pages are the way of the future. Check it out may be one out there for your model or make. There's a great one for Columbus it's a who lot more social than a forum. Just saying and the same stuff is discussed .

Molaker said:
I think I've still got my old Vic 20 and Commodor 64.  Anyone want them? ...for free...shipping only.  I'm trying to trim down.

I'll check with my son as those were his first computers and we let them get away when we moved from CA to MT 14 years ago.  I'm not sure he has forgiven for that.    :)

I just wanted to reply to GSPORT ..... and say that no one is required to pay $12.00 to participate in the Grand Design RV forum.  As are most forums, it is open to anyone and everyone that so desires to participate .... FREE.  If one wants to be a Site Sponsor, at present the cost is $12.00/yr due to the number of people willing to help pay the cost of operating the site.  I am a paying Site Sponsor because I thought it was the right thing to do - help pay for what I use.  Everyone does not feel the same as I, and that is fine - use our forum for free, we won't force anyone to pay.

Thank you.  I'm sure this particular forum is the same way, but remember nothing is free to everyone.  Someone must pay, so if you're inclined to help then send the sponsor of RVFORUM some money.

This is NOT a solicitation for Grand Design RV forum nor RVforum.net !!

Molaker said:

I still have an Apple II (S/N 1628) and a C-128 in it's original box.  No idea what happened to the C-64.  We could open a museum!

This seems to be a much friendlier and open forum than IRV2.  A lot fewer flame wars.

Ill drag up a zombie thread as a newbie here with my first post. I just found this forum and joined with a Google search grand design forum. I just bought a 2015 Grand Design 323BHS and joined over there. I didn't mind paying $12/year, my problem is the only way to pay is poo pal which I despise and refuse to use. Asked several times how to pay and got no response from the admin who collects the coffers. Today I was demoted from trial member to registered guest so my privileges are limited. I may wander over there simply to contact GD as they have manufacturer reps trolling the forum.

My question now is do I have to jump through hoops with every post here with image verification, whats the stuff the falls from the sky, how many us states, whats the ocean next to the US east coast and capital city of England?

Back
Top Bottom