Toy hauler pop up? Does this exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fleasmith

Hey everyone, I've been researching (googling and YouTube-ing) all day trying to see if this exists.
I know that people have done some pretty creative things turning utility trailers into toy haulers and that some companies even mass produce some pretty impressive VRV's.

My question is, does a pop up/folding trailer exist with a reinforced roof so that I could simply fold it down, and then park my atv ON my trailer while going down the highway? Or does anyone see a way of rednecking this? If this is a fresh idea I here by patent it! I'll make billions! Lol

Thanks in advance for the feedback,
Flea

I have seen popups designed so that an ATV could be hauled cross ways on a platform on the trailer tongue.

http://www.livinlite.com/18sut-overview.php

Yep I saw those too, they're nice but hard to find with a light dry weight. The other problem is I'm yet to see one that could accommodate a larger atv. Arctic cat TRV 400 is 8 feet long, and I may up grade to an Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail side by side which is 50" wide, 110" long , and weighs just under 1000 lbs.

There are some really nice 5x10 toy haulers out there that also come with a hefty price tag, plus a lot more are drag behind my little jeep. I'm really thinking about red necking this if it doesn't already exist lol.

Flea

Sorry not what I'm looking for as explained above. I'm looking for a pop up that had a heavy duty load bearing roof; which doesn't seem to exist :( .

That will take some engineering. I don't know how to do it. The roof weight needed to support 1000 lbs would make it hard to raise. I guess you could put frame extensions front and back with uprights so that you could raise the platform for the ATV and roof seperately. I just don't see how to put it right on the roof. Then, you will have the problem of overloading the trailer and it being top-heavy.
Good luck with it.

Fleasmith said:
I'm really thinking about red necking this if it doesn't already exist lol.

It might be tough to find a pop up with an extra 1,000 lb weight capability.  And you'd want to make sure the heavy duty roof had matching heavy duty support as well.  Could be a fun project.  Good luck!

Thanks! Those are pretty neat and pretty versatile, but 9000$? They're super creative and I'm impressed by the ingenuity, but ultimately it's a small utility trailer with a nylon tent on steroids. Still nice though!
I'm thinking my game move is going to be buy a:
quality 5x10 aluminum trailer
a good tongue case for it for extra storage
A P.V.C. Screen tent, which ironically cost less and are 100% water proof
A high quality canvas tent that attaches to the back of my SUV.

If I win the lottery I'll get a nice toy hauler, until then I need to accept my fate hahahah :)

(Unless of course a pop up trailer with a reinforced roof that can't hold 1000 lbs exists)

Halfwright I agree with what you're saying about it being top heavy. Unfortunately I'm not a welder so I think I'm going up stream with no paddles at this point lol.

Flea

As a practical matter, I don't think you will find a traditional "pop-up" that is a toyhauler. The basic design lacks weight capacity and the toy area obviously can't fold down anyway, so the goal of the pop-up is incompatible. But you could make a utility trailer that has a tent-like shelter, much as you described.

The Forest River Roo, a hybrid (combo of pop-up and travel trailer) has two front deck models that make good ATV (or whatever) haulers. If you can't buy one, you could copy the design.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/Roo/default.aspx?model=roo&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4006&RVType=HYT

I think, though, that you won't save much money building your own unless you leave things out, e.g. shower, toilet, stove, furnace, beds, etc. The advantage of a DIY trailer is that you can make those sacrifices, whereas manufacturers generally will not because each deleted item costs them some percentage of sales. Heck, you could just get a fairly large, used utility flatbed and put a tent on it, along with a porta-potty, BBQ grill and cooler or fridge.  If you can find a damaged pop-up in an RV salvage yard (see the Resources section for a listing of these), you could strip out the folding tent mechanism and maybe some appliances and mount them on your flatbed in fairly short order.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom