2011 34Y LP Furnace Front Heat Distribution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yoda2405

Any 34Y owners I need to know if your LP Furnace Heat Distribution is adequate in the front of the coach in temperatures in the low 20's. Mine is not. The air flow out of the two front registers is very weak and the front of the coach is 5 or more degrees colder than the bedroom. The air temperature seems pretty mild for a LP furnace as well. The exhaust air is much hotter, seems I am heating the outdoors much more than the interior of my coach.
The only register that has a strong air flow is the bedroom register. Even the bath and hall are pretty mild considering they are the closest to the furnace. This winter has been the coldest since we got the coach and this problem has been much more an issue with these cold snaps.
I am trying to determine if I have a problem or is this a design issue for the heat system in this model.

Thanks for any information,

David

We've only used it a few times, but the flow from the front registers is strong and warm. I'd check for obstructions in the vents or ducts.

Ernie

I have no knowledge of your particular RV but I had a similar problem in my MH. I found that the duct coming off of the furnace had lots of air leaks, the joints were not at all tight and had no seam tape of any type. I used aluminum air duct tape to seal mine and it helped quite a bit. Do not confuse regular duct tape, canvas backed tape, with the aluminum tape I used, it will stay stuck to the duct work while the other type tape will not stay stuck for long. Hope this helps. Pat.

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure how to get to my ductwork as the furnace is only accessible from the front edge after removing a plate with a bunch of screws.
Has anyone had their furnace out on this model? If so can you access the ductwork with the furnace out? It seems you would need the furnace in place to secure and seal the ductwork to it. Not sure how to accomplish that as I see no access from the back side of the furnace, the interior of the coach.
The only register with strong air flow is the bedroom register. I requested a duct layout from Winnebago and received a response today but I cannot see the lines on the drawing they sent. I can tell there are lines but they are so faint I can not make heads or tails out of it.
May remove the exterior plate and see what I can see then, unless someone has another suggestion.

Safe Travels,
David

My previous coach was a 34Y and I do not recall any deficient air flow through the ducts. First thought, have you changed the filter on the return duct lately? You may also need to vaccuume the grill that is visible under the filter. 

We always supplemented the heater with a plug in 120v heater when the temps dropped a lot. In fact the plug in heater was the usual heat source since we were plugged in most of the time and were paying for the electric already. 

I have not found a filter, there seems to be two return grills one across from the frig and one at the back end of the front passenger side slide in the bath wall. Very little room to access that grill, but the hallway one is clean and I see no filter.
Is there any access to the furnace through the bath vanity, I know the furnace is directly below this vanity but do not see that the bottom of the vanity is easily removeable.

Thanks or the feedback,
David

Sarge:

Did you have the basement AC/Heat Pump? In my 07 I had a filter under the bed for the basement AC/Heat Pump. The 2011 went to roof air and the LP Furnace seems to be return ducted to hall and main Salon only.

I called Winnebago, got through on first call!, and discussed the ductwork. While he agreed the drawings he sent me were pretty poor, he said that was all he could find. He felt pretty confident that all the ducts were the flexible tube type ducts with one for each forward register. His suggestion was to pull the furnace and look at the ducts to make sure none were disconnected, so guess I will do that at some point.

Has anyone pulled their LP furnace, ar all the connections able to come out far enough to remove the furnace as I have no access to the furnace while in the coach.

Safe Travels,
David

Shoot David, you are absolutely right. My 2010 was the last year for basement air due to the new DPF systems.  With the roof air/heat strips, that is completely different.

SargeW said:
Shoot David, you are absolutely right. My 2010 was the last year for basement air due to the new DPF systems.  With the roof air/heat strips, that is completely different.

I think the new roof airs have a heat pump function rather than the heat strips.

Sarge:

Your LP Furnace was probably much if not exactly like mine. The AC/Heat Pump are the difference. I had the basement air on my 07 and I think the roof setup works a bit better, but maybe a bit noisier - neither are quiet.

The LP Furnace on this unit has never worked properly. It locks out at times and I have to turn the system off at the thermostat to get it to run - a real pain at 3 in the morning and temp in the 50's waking you up. I wonder if the apparent duct issue might be the cause of the lockout as I have heard the burner reigniting while the furnace is running, I assume from an overtemp of the heat exchanger - not sure why. It does not do this all the time, just sometimes.

After 2 rips to Winnebago and 2 to the dealer for the furnace, I am getting tired of wasting a lot of time on this issue.

Hope you are enjoying your new rig.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom