The last thing you can do for your pet friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
right now we have agreed to wait a while. It would be unfair to a new dog, because Rocky is in that elevated wonderdog position in our eyes and hearts.
We'd like to travel a bit, also unfair to a new dog. They need your utmost attention when you bring them home.

skyking1 said:
right now we have agreed to wait a while. It would be unfair to a new dog, because Rocky is in that elevated wonderdog position in our eyes and hearts.
We'd like to travel a bit, also unfair to a new dog. They need your utmost attention when you bring them home.

My heart goes out to you. I can relate, as we lost our sweet girl about a year and half ago. I am just now able to think about getting another dog, after I swore that I would never have another pet. They have a tendency to get into our hearts.

Just Lou said:
Kelly and Mary, my heart aches for you and your upcoming decision.

I went through this just about three years ago with my shepherd husky mix, RedDog.  He was 13 and had Mast Cell cancer. Putting him down was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  I could only stand the heart ache two weeks and went to the shelter and rescued his stand-in, Ringo.

Alas, it looks like I may be about to go through that process again with Ringo.  I have an appointment with the veterinarians at the NC State University VET school on Friday for a Rhinoscopy to locate and evaluate the cause of sneezing with a bloody discharge from his left nostril.  I've been warned that the procedure is quite costly, and if the cause is determined to be a cancerous tumor, any attempt at treatment is also very costly.

Hey Lou,
      Not long ago my lab had a ruptured cyst ( I thought it was a tumor)  on his front leg , the vet school recommended Quail Corners Animal hospital over on Millbrook  in Raleigh . I was extremely happy with the vet and the facility , enoufg to drive from Clayton to Raleigh for all my vet needs. She does do surgery also. Mike McCarthy
I'm not sure I could put him down for purely financial reasons, but I do know that if treatment involved disfigurement in any way, he would go to the "Bridge" in one piece.

So sorry for your loss. We too just had to make that very hard decision. Last Monday our beloved Alaskan Mal, Cammie took the strole over the rainbow bridge. We miss her terribly and still have moments of sudden tears. At times like these when the grief seems overwhelming, I tell myself not to ever get another, but then the memories and the love they gave replace the grief. I know my life would not be the same without them in it. :)

so sorry man. I sorta blew it with this thread and did not put up some pictures of him. This is in his prime at age 4. He was a little imp, always wanting to play.

Attachments

• crouchingimp1.jpg
    crouchingimp1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 47
  • evil1.jpg
    evil1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 44
  • volleydog1.jpg
    volleydog1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 41
Rocky is in that elevated wonderdog position in our eyes and hearts.

Waiting is good. No dog's going to measure up at this point. It's good Rocky's suffering is over. Our hearts and thoughts are with you.

-Trevor & Roni

tstumpf said:
Waiting is good. No dog's going to measure up at this point. It's good Rocky's suffering is over. Our hearts and thoughts are with you.

-Trevor & Roni
Sorry for your loss.  Dogs are truly loyal companions, and members of the family.
When you're ready to bring a new member into your family, you'll know it.
Think about adopting from a pet rescue organization.  There are SO MANY good dogs who need caring homes, and when you find the right one, you'll know it.  That's what we did, and we have absolutely NO regrets.

Kelly, so so sorry to hear about Rocky. Dang, that is a tough spot to be in and nothing but time helps although, I know and understand all too well what you and Mary are going through. As Wendy said I am a true believer in the rainbow bridge and that is the only thing that keeps us rescuing time after time. We have 3 now, all of them fit well in the doghouse (Itasca) with us but I know our time will come again all too soon. It's a terrible thing to have to go through and I hope your time is short before another one is able to rescue you guys! Take care.

Mavarick said:
Kelly, so so sorry to hear about Rocky. Dang, that is a tough spot to be in and nothing but time helps although, I know and understand all too well what you and Mary are going through. As Wendy said I am a true believer in the rainbow bridge and that is the only thing that keeps us rescuing time after time. We have 3 now, all of them fit well in the doghouse (Itasca) with us but I know our time will come again all too soon. It's a terrible thing to have to go through and I hope your time is short before another one is able to rescue you guys! Take care.

You know.....
at least you got to meet him that day.
We may be breaking down on our resolve to wait. There are dogs out there who need love.

Yea, helping another doesn't mean you forget the last one. Just makes the transition a bit easier sometimes. You guys will know when it?s the right time. He was a special little guy!

UPDATE:

We thought we could wait. I broke down and started looking at Craigslist Thursday night.

We found a couple of dogs that needed a home together. They had been together their whole lives.

The first home burned down, and those folks had no way to keep them. Within hours at a shelter, their new dad came in after saying goodbye to his 16 year old Jack. He was looking for two. He had a Jack Russell with him his whole life of long haul trucking.

His niece works as a vet tech at a hospital. He wisely put her in charge of the dogs in his will. 2 1/2 years later he passes away from a heart attack.

Now she already has two dogs and two cats and two horses, and needs to find these two a good home.

Here they are at their first night at my niece's home.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9we2zzqht7t3ls/2014-01-24%2022.41.45.jpg

Russer is a 5 year old male Jack.

Katie looks to be a terrier-chihuahua mix, 3 year old.

Here they help me compute.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pyj93asa4u45tn/2014-01-25%2011.09.31.jpg

So now the crappy news. It seems they are killing Mary with the different dander. She has pet allergies, cat much worse than dog. She must have been used to Rocky and I think these two are different. We will wait and see but they may have to find a new home. She is taking it much worse than I, but I told her we can just foster adopt in the pet rescue network till we find the dog that she can tolerate well.

The niece said she would take them back no questions asked. Her mom, uncles and cousins really want these two to have a good home. They are a link back to uncle.

If it comes to that we will do anything to find these two a good home. They are a handful but also a kick in the butt. They roughhouse together, sleep on each other, clean the ears, all those pack things.

He is intense in that JRT way, needing tons of ball throwing and play. She just chases him when he chases the ball. He absolutely watches TV! He sees animals and gets focused, and if a dog barks he runs over and talks to the TV, looks behind it, etc. Pretty much any animal will do, he really sees them.

She is the softest thing you have ever touched. She just wants to lay next to you or on you when she is not playing with Russer. They have been around cats, and are very good with dogs and children.

Kelly, tears falling as I read the posts.  Been there, done that, and with 3 (two aged) will have to go through it again.

Just a note, I selfishly avoid shelters ( sent my husband, last time) because of the angst I feel when I see the overwhelming need for adoption.  Remember, most shelters, both private and county have websites and they post pictures of adoptable dogs.  So if you are looking for a particular type, e.g. Jack Russell, you can search for it.  They link to each other, too, to try to find owners. They mostly do a wonderful service.  Purebred means nothing to me.  I think one of my Border Collies might be pure, but she's no better in my eyes than the other two.

And, Maverick, you are right.  My Itasca is the most expensive doghouse but where I go my babes go, too.

Be happy with another rescue and don't feel guilty,  you are continuing the tradition of helping.

This mat be impossible for you and of course it is just a suggestion. Dobermans shed very little and when they do it is more like hair and not at all like fur, they are easy as far as appearance. Of course they tend to be larger and harder to travel with, they are extremely loyal and affectionate. If you have ever considered one there is a rescue in North Carolina that is very fussy about their dogs. The owner Carol will not match you to a dog she thinks will not suite you or the dog...verry fussy and often turns down adoptions because of possible mismatch. Her rescue is "Dobermans of the Triad" and her dogs can be viewed online. It's just a thought and Dobies are not for everyone, mine is the most loveable dog I have ever had and also much larger than the normal Dobie...so don't believe all the hype about them........

Just reread your post, my transplant team warned me of getting another dog and definitely NO cats, must be because of a similar effect that Mary is having with a different dog in the house.

Dogs all produce the same protein that allergic people are allergic to. It is is a matter of how much. Some produce much more and these two may be high producers and our last dog a low. We will give it a week anyway to be sure this is the case. We are already bonded to each other, us and these creatures.

We adopted a Puppy "mutt" at the animal shelter over the weekend. Your post got me to thinking that I needed to let go of the past and move on...it took me about 1 1/2 years to get around to adopting another pet. We named him Duke, after "The Duke", and he is a bit of hound and a bit of shepherd and who knows what else. He was a stray so we'll never know his pedigree for certain, or his age, he appears to be about four months. Got him neutered, chipped, vaccinated and signed up for puppy kindergarten in a few weeks.

WOOHOO!
I hope you have years of enjoyment with your new buddy.
Mary may not be as allergic to these two, she is getting a bit better. We are also under a burn ban with bad air quality. That might be a big component of her discomfort.

I like people and I like dogs.  I especially like people who adopt shelter dogs.

a bit of hound and a bit of shepherd and who knows what else.
That's what our last dog, Andy was. Would love to see a photo of yours if you care to share. Curious whether they look anything alike. You can see photos of ours here:
http://countyroadj.blogspot.com/2010/07/broken-hearts.html
Thanks!
-Roni

tstumpf said:
That's what our last dog, Andy was. Would love to see a photo of yours if you care to share. Curious whether they look anything alike. You can see photos of ours here: Thanks!
-Roni

Here is a photo of Duke.

Attachments

• Duke.jpg
    Duke.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member