2014 Scientific Toilet Paper Dissolve Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
It was a balmy 65 degrees under sunny skies with  no wind. Rally members attending the 2014 Quartzsite Rally contributed  fifteen entries  in to the contest to determine which  brand of toilet paper would dissolve best. Two squares  were placed into a cup of water and let sit for 45 minutes before the first result was tested. Then the  entries sat in the water until 4pm Happy Hour.  The entries were as follows:
1. Angel Soft
2. Avater RV ( 10 cents a roll)
3. Quilted Northern Ultra Plush
4. Costco
5. Scott 1 ply
6. Kleenex Tissue
7. Enviro-Soft
8. Sam's Club
9. Valtera 2 ply RV toilet paper
10.  Purex 2 ply ( Western Canadian Brand)
11.  Thetford 2 ply
12. Charmin
13.  Angel Soft 2 ply
14.  Quilted Northern 2 ply
15.  Charmin Ultra

The number one digested dissolved toilet paper is Purex.  It also had a soft factor! But you can only buy it  in Canada
The number 2 was Sam's Club also with a soft factor and  you can buy it in the USA if you are a Sam's Member!
Third Place was Scott 1 ply but it's not very soft and quite thin. One can purchase at any grocery store.

Kleenex was worst!  Never ever blow your nose and drop a tissue into  toilet! Charmin had disappointing results.  Angel Soft did not do what it has in the past. Quilted Northern and Costco  were not very good either! 
Photos to follow!

Thanks for posting the 'scientific results' Betty. It seems that either individual product formulae have changed, or the test method changed  ???

My first choice at home, in the coach, and on the boat continues to be Quilted Northern; In addition to being the winner on two prior tests, it has superior 'wet strength' and 'comfort'. Can't bring myself to using TP that feels like sandpaper or which my finger goes through  :eek:

Here are a few  photos of the study.  Setting up the  test  subjects, jars with contents  waiting to dissolve, Wendy supervising, Texture of the winner Purex.

Attachments

• IMG_8386.JPG
    IMG_8386.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_8393.JPG
    IMG_8393.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_8436.JPG
    IMG_8436.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_8441.JPG
    IMG_8441.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 267
Rene T said:
Betty,
How long was the test and how did Charmin Ultra perform?  Thanks.
We placed two sheets of tissue into each glass of water at  10 am.  Final results were tallied at 4 pm after a bit of stirring and shaking all done  equally.  Charmin did not break up well at all.  I was expecting more!

It was fun and it was informative. And it also showed that not everything should go into your holding tank. You could have wrung out that Kleenex and used it to blow your nose. Thanks to all who donated TP and other items for our test.

Great photos to document the event, thanks!

Thanks, Betty and the other attendees.  We've been using Sam's Club TP (Members Mark is their brand) at the house for the last 4 years and like it, but have continued to use Scott's Single Ply in the coach. Guess we can use the same in both places now.

Why when two or more RV'ers get together does the main subject always turn to POOOOO???? LOL

Nice study, Someday Ill make it to Q and will volunteer to be the official agitator! lol

Chuckle. Nice job, but how much does it matter unless it dissolves when you're using it?    :-\

This is really interesting...I am from Canada and we have used Purex at home for years. Started using it in the 5th last year but just a week ago decided I want to test it up against Kleenex brand to see if it was as good as I thought. Did the same thing...a cup of water and 2 sheets of each in a glass...and just like your test, the Purex dissolved and broke very easily. Kleenex brand could be removed from the glass intact and was a wet clump. Nice to see that our test results are so similar....I will keep using Purex, and just glad its readily available to me.

Rick

captsteve said:
Why when two or more RV'ers get together does the main subject always turn to POOOOO????

Oh you have no idea  how many ideas we had for the test.  The guys wanted to fill the glasses with other than water!  Many many ideas  were rejected by Wendy and I! It was all really really fun.  One would have a difficult time  doing this test at home.  We were fortunate in this large group to have so many samples!

Only in Quartzsite!!!!!  Only with RVers!!!!!!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend and donate squares of our favorite paper, but, "I don't have a square to spare". That just rang a bell for some of you. Others will have no clue. I'll bet someone can explain it.

Ken

And the test is not over ... the samples are still 'brewing' and we'll see what they look like tomorrow.

Rick, the Kleenex was really Kleenex tissue and not the Kleenex brand of toilet paper.  We added the Kleenex because so many people think their RV toilet is like the one at home.  You may be able to blow your nose on a Kleenex tissue at home and put it down the toilet but, based on today's results, you'd better not do that in your RV toilet!

ArdraF

Oh Ok...I missed that, thought it was Kleenex brand tissue... Here it goes by Kleenex Cottonelle....I can assure you, it's not great either, stays in a big clump.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom