EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 2014 Scientific Toilet Paper Dissolve Results  (Read 25410 times)

Mavarick

• ---
Re: 2014 Scientific Toilet Paper Dissolve Results
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »
For all the newbies and non-Rv’ers, this is all code for “lets get together and drink”!
While we are there drinking we will do some scientific tests to justify the meeting. We will discuss the test requirements and drink, we will then discuss the entries and drink, then we will discuss the time limits and drink. When finished we will analyze the results and drink, then we will post the results and drink. Somewhere in all this we will eat and drink also.
My holding tank is a 40 gallon bucket, using plenty of water I can dump just about anything as long as I have beer. Life is too short for single ply, there must be a mistake with the test, lets do it again. One day I hope to attend the Q rally and practice my drinking, I mean testing. Sounds like everyone had fun!  :) :)
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
I just brewed a German Maibock that has your name on it........
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »
The reason disintegration is important is that pieces of paper can hang up on tank sensors (if you have the in-tank type as most still do) and the valves. Larger pieces can also catch at the floor flange, a bend in the pipe, or other places where there may be rough spots or constrictions. TP that dissolves well & quickly lowers the risk of these sorts of things.

Paper also contributes mightily to the "poop pyramid" problem, but you should never have that issue if you flush enough water and don't dump until the tank is at least half full.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
I just brewed a German Maibock that has your name on it........

Would love to sample it!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »
Would love to sample it!

Would love you to sample it!
Speaking of which, tonight is sample night to see how my batches are aging.
I give away far more than I drink. I'm old, so two beers puts me over the top, three puts me to sleep.
Since I've had two, I must say your depth of anything RV is astounding. You've bailed me out of more than one dilemma.
Hope you don't mind my tag line. When I read that it put me on the floor laughing.. :D
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
i have a serious question ::) we are not full time, take many short trips, and a tleast one long on a year, i dump at every campsite, and when i get home. so the question is, does it really mater the type of paper i use, since it doesn't stay in the tank to de-compose?

Yes, it really matters or we wouldn't have done the test!  You, my friend, are one of the ones who will be complaining about odor and the poop pyramid and the sensor not working.  You should not be dumping at every campsite.  The black tank should be at minimum one-half full and it's better at two-thirds or three-quarters so the liquid has a chance to break down the solids, whether waste or tissue.  When you dump too often the solids stay on the bottom of the tank, especially if they don't have enough water to break it all up.  It's okay to dump when you get home and the toilet is not going to be used for a while, but do make sure there's some water in it so the "stuff" that might be left on the bottom of the tank doesn't solidify.  Another cause of the infamous poop pyramid is when people get to a site and open their black tank and leave it open.  The water that's flushed isn't adequate to push the solids out of the tank.  If you get to a site and need to dump because the tank is full, go ahead and dump but then close the valve so water has a chance to help the bacteria break down and dissolve the stuff in the tank.

By the way, this test clearly and without any doubt whatsoever proved that Kleenex tissues and feminine products should NEVER EVER be put down an RV toilet where they will remain undissolved in the RV black tank.  Make sure everyone who travels with you knows this!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

kevin

• ---
  • North West Arkansas..Go Hogs!!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
i use more than average water when flushing, and i flush out the tank when dumping, if figured that would help slosh the rest out, never had a problem with a poop pile, just wondering i guess. thanks for the info.
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

gave up on that winning lotto ticket!

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
After a full 48 hours after our test we fished  contents from cup and  then   dumped the results around the  inside perimeter of the fire ring.  I  have a photo of results of Quilted Northern.  Clearly not so broken down.

Are we having fun yet?
Betty Brewer

see where we are

pdq

• ---
    • larry & peter's adventure in their tiffin allegro
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
lol…. Betty - i got a good chuckle from your scientific test

now: can the results be replicated at differing altitudes and temps?
this would b helpful as i am sure RVers will want to know the results based on their present and future locations

peter

Gordon Groff

• ---
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
Sounds like fun!  I have tentative plans to join y'all at Quartzite next year.  Can't wait to discuss poop with 'ya!  ;)

Gordon
Gordon and Sweet Nancy
2010 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA
2010 Honda CRV Toad
8Lb. Papillon

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »
I must admit to a running joke between Catblaster and myself. Every time we get together one of us remarks that today would be a good day to go buy some toilet paper and do some dissolving tests. Well, it is funny to us. ???
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »
The science experiment has Susan and I wanting to go to QZ...you folks are having too much fun.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

FreddyS

• ---
  • Fred & Malen
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
A friend of mine gave me some really good advice on upkeep of the black tank.  He said that right before I take off to put some toilet treatment down my commode followed by a 10 lb bag of ice.  This sloshing around will help to loosen up any particles at the bottom of the black tank.  He was right, it helped a lot.  I also put a little bleach down toilet about 10 hours before I flush tanks (just a little though).  I don't empty the black tank until it is about 3/4 full because the vacuum will help to draw out all loose matter in your tank.  I only use 1 ply RV toilet paper that I buy at Wal-Mart.  Keep an old broom handle nearby to help with any toilet paper clogs.  Not as bad as it sounds.
1999 Gulfstream 26f Class C

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
This sloshing around will help to loosen up any particles at the bottom of the black tank.

Just curious. How does floating ice "help to loosen up any particles at the bottom of the black tank?"

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

SuwanneeDave

• ---
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
i have a serious question ::) we are not full time, take many short trips, and atleast one long on a year, i dump at every campsite, and when i get home. so the question is, does it really mater the type of paper i use, since it doesn't stay in the tank to de-compose? :-\
For your situation I think that having a good way to flush the holding tank with a lot of water is more important than what kind of TP you use.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
OK, so we are a full month after Quartzsite testing of  toilet paper.  It was time  to make my purchase based on the scientific results.  We are Sam's Club Members and trotted off to local Sam's club for the purchase of the Members Mark  brand.  Alas they only come  packaged in rolls of 45.  That's a lot of rolls and it will set you back $16 or so.  So I did not buy any.

Now I am home and it's two days later.  I still need toilet paper.  Looks like I will return to Sam's and make the purchase.  I will  have stored rolls for quite some time!  Let  this message serve as a warning that if you are going with our  Quartzsite results, you may want to carpool with an RVForum friend when making your purchase at Sam's.   On my was to Sam's now................
Betty Brewer

see where we are

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 04:00:10 PM »
Giggle Giggle, Betty. That is 35 cents a roll....what a bargain.

Now you are spending gas money to fetch the big-pack.
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »

Carson, remember that the journey is part of the fun  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Aye, Tom.  I forgot all about that.

A side bit... Were there any fish in the river Tatt ?  Did you work on the docks ?

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »
We use the Sam's Members Mark TP at home too, so the big packages are not a problem.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
They come in Liza size. ;)

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Giggle Giggle, Betty. That is 35 cents a roll....what a bargain.

Carson,

That may be cheap now but I remember 4 rolls in a pack for $0.33, 8 1/4 cents each!   :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »
For more "real world" test, the water would need something like 5% by volume of ammonia added to to it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »
Do I detect a Betty vs. Liza battle over who has the most rolls of toilet paper??  :) ;D ;)

ArdraF
ArdraF

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
Sorry, Ardra, the Canadians take this one, too - best dissolving TP and most rolls in a single RV. And she wouldn't even share.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

ceemike

• ---
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
By the way, this test clearly and without any doubt whatsoever proved that Kleenex tissues and feminine products should NEVER EVER be put down an RV toilet where they will remain undissolved in the RV black tank.  Make sure everyone who travels with you knows this!

ArdraF
One other thing to never, ever put down an RV toilet are the "flushable" moist wipes or baby wipes. The packaging says they are septic system safe, but I've read they don't dissolve well if at all and people are being advised to not flush them down their home toilets either.
Mike & Judy Wagner
From the Keystone State
FMCA F418448
WIT # W161150
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V, W20 Chassis
2004 Honda CRV

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »
Maybe we can continue the test next January with items marked "flushable" because I was wondering about them too.  Surely there are enough that we can prove they're not, at least in RVs.

ArdraF
ArdraF

Gunny69

• ---
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
By Sam's Club brand do you mean "Members Mark"? 
Dave & Nancy Moser
GySgt USMC (Ret)
and Chi Chi the geochihuahua
2015 Thor Tuscany XTE 34ST
2013 Chevrolet Equinox
Granbury, TX
SKP# 29871
FMCA F261243

bertnspike

• ---
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
Maybe we can continue the test next January with items marked "flushable" because I was wondering about them too.  Surely there are enough that we can prove they're not, at least in RVs.

ArdraF

There are incidences of municipal sewage systems having extremely expensive and massive blockages due to these so-called "flushable" wipes.  Don't do it. :o
Susan in Music with Mizz Bizzy

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »
By Sam's Club brand do you mean "Members Mark"?
Yep.  See reply #45.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Hosted by Over The Network