2014 Scientific Toilet Paper Dissolve Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom S, get well soon so you can come back to Quartzsite next year and insult me in person ;)

Joezeppy said:
I can't wait to retire so I can worry about important things like this.  Only about 20 years to go! 

Terry says to tell you if you ever get a "poop pyramid" before you retire, you too will be worried about these important issues! ;)

Yes all RVers  get to blackwater discussions sooner or later.

Joezeppy said:
I can't wait to retire so I can worry about important things like this.  ;D

Only about 20 years to go!  :(

I remember teasing the "old guys" about their retirement...now it's my turn and I am loving it!

After checking the TP this morning, after 24 hours, the results are still the same - Purex (Canada), Scott 1-ply, and Sam's Club dissolved the best. Bottom of the poop pile with little disintegration are Quilted Northern. Charmin Ultra, and Costco. And of course, items you should never put in your holding tank include Kleenex facial tissues and the mystery lady's item.

i have a serious question ::) we are not full time, take many short trips, and atleast one long on a year, i dump at every campsite, and when i get home. so the question is, does it really mater the type of paper i use, since it doesn't stay in the tank to de-compose? :-\

Wendy said:
After checking the TP this morning, after 24 hours, the results are still the same - Purex (Canada), Scott 1-ply, and Sam's Club dissolved the best. Bottom of the poop pile with little disintegration are Quilted Northern. Charmin Ultra, and Costco. And of course, items you should never put in your holding tank include Kleenex facial tissues and the mystery lady's item.

It's funny Wendy, when we got up this morning we put three sheets folded of Charming Ultra Strong in a cup of water. I stirred it after one hour and it was still kind a in one piece.  Went back to it 2 hours later and it was completely broken apart. Are you looking for it to completely disappear or just to break up? I'm very happy with this Charmin Ultra Strong.

Rene T said:
It's funny Wendy, when we got up this morning we put three sheets folded of Charming Ultra Strong in a cup of water. I stirred it after one hour and it was still kind a in one piece.  Went back to it 2 hours later and it was completely broken apart. Are you looking for it to completely disappear or just to break up? I'm very happy with this Charmin Ultra Strong.

Just want it to break up. The Charmin used here was big blobs, not broken up at all. I'm starting to think there are 'regional formula variations' :)

kevin said:
i have a serious question ::) we are not full time, take many short trips, and atleast one long on a year, i dump at every campsite, and when i get home. so the question is, does it really mater the type of paper i use, since it doesn't stay in the tank to de-compose? :-\
It is very important! You WILL find out one day when you have a poop pyramid and cant dump.

Use a good dissolving paper and twice as much water as you think you need and all will come out in the end....

For all the newbies and non-Rv?ers, this is all code for ?lets get together and drink?!
While we are there drinking we will do some scientific tests to justify the meeting. We will discuss the test requirements and drink, we will then discuss the entries and drink, then we will discuss the time limits and drink. When finished we will analyze the results and drink, then we will post the results and drink. Somewhere in all this we will eat and drink also.
My holding tank is a 40 gallon bucket, using plenty of water I can dump just about anything as long as I have beer. Life is too short for single ply, there must be a mistake with the test, lets do it again. One day I hope to attend the Q rally and practice my drinking, I mean testing. Sounds like everyone had fun!  :) :)

The reason disintegration is important is that pieces of paper can hang up on tank sensors (if you have the in-tank type as most still do) and the valves. Larger pieces can also catch at the floor flange, a bend in the pipe, or other places where there may be rough spots or constrictions. TP that dissolves well & quickly lowers the risk of these sorts of things.

Paper also contributes mightily to the "poop pyramid" problem, but you should never have that issue if you flush enough water and don't dump until the tank is at least half full.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Would love to sample it!

Would love you to sample it!
Speaking of which, tonight is sample night to see how my batches are aging.
I give away far more than I drink. I'm old, so two beers puts me over the top, three puts me to sleep.
Since I've had two, I must say your depth of anything RV is astounding. You've bailed me out of more than one dilemma.
Hope you don't mind my tag line. When I read that it put me on the floor laughing.. :D

i have a serious question ::) we are not full time, take many short trips, and a tleast one long on a year, i dump at every campsite, and when i get home. so the question is, does it really mater the type of paper i use, since it doesn't stay in the tank to de-compose?

Yes, it really matters or we wouldn't have done the test!  You, my friend, are one of the ones who will be complaining about odor and the poop pyramid and the sensor not working.  You should not be dumping at every campsite.  The black tank should be at minimum one-half full and it's better at two-thirds or three-quarters so the liquid has a chance to break down the solids, whether waste or tissue.  When you dump too often the solids stay on the bottom of the tank, especially if they don't have enough water to break it all up.  It's okay to dump when you get home and the toilet is not going to be used for a while, but do make sure there's some water in it so the "stuff" that might be left on the bottom of the tank doesn't solidify.  Another cause of the infamous poop pyramid is when people get to a site and open their black tank and leave it open.  The water that's flushed isn't adequate to push the solids out of the tank.  If you get to a site and need to dump because the tank is full, go ahead and dump but then close the valve so water has a chance to help the bacteria break down and dissolve the stuff in the tank.

By the way, this test clearly and without any doubt whatsoever proved that Kleenex tissues and feminine products should NEVER EVER be put down an RV toilet where they will remain undissolved in the RV black tank.  Make sure everyone who travels with you knows this!

ArdraF

i use more than average water when flushing, and i flush out the tank when dumping, if figured that would help slosh the rest out, never had a problem with a poop pile, just wondering i guess. thanks for the info.

After a full 48 hours after our test we fished  contents from cup and  then  dumped the results around the  inside perimeter of the fire ring.  I  have a photo of results of Quilted Northern.  Clearly not so broken down.

Are we having fun yet?

Attachments

• IMG_8446.JPG
    IMG_8446.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8450.JPG
    IMG_8450.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 115
lol?. Betty - i got a good chuckle from your scientific test

now: can the results be replicated at differing altitudes and temps?
this would b helpful as i am sure RVers will want to know the results based on their present and future locations

peter

Sounds like fun!  I have tentative plans to join y'all at Quartzite next year.  Can't wait to discuss poop with 'ya!  ;)

Gordon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom