2014 Scientific Toilet Paper Dissolve Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stumbled on this article while googling for the best rv toilet paper. I forgot I created an account on here way back so this looks like it might sadly be my first post. I don't have a Sam's club account so I can't try that, but am thinking about buying Scott's that was recommended at http://rvmusthaves.com/best-rv-toilet-paper-48-rolls/  ..Has anybody tried the Scott's?

I bought a 16-roll pack of Scott's 1000 and threw them all away. I went back to Angel Soft two-ply and won't be experimenting again.

I bought a 16-roll pack of Scott's 1000 and threw them all away.

Well, TP is a disposable product. You are supposed to throw it away, right?  ???  Don't know what your problem was with it, but we used Scott's single ply in the RV for years before we started buying Members Mark at at Sam's Club. Don't know if Walmart's in-house brand (Great Value) is the same or not, but it's worth checking out.

Angel Soft used to work pretty well also. Anybody tested it lately? Formulations change from time to time.

I believe Scott's 1000 tested near the top and Angle Soft tested in the lower half last year at Quartzite. Hence, I thought I would try Scott's. Since the 16-pack was the best price at the time I bought it to split between the MH and house.

I find Scott's to be non-absorbent, rough (hard) and single ply which are all negatives for me. Angle Soft, on the other hand, is two-ply, softer and more absorbent in my opinion. Therefore, I threw the unused Scott's away and bought some Angle Soft.

When I wand my black tank, usually after setting for a period of time, I find a lot of TP "shards" are discharged during the process, more then I would have imagined. Since I travel solo this infers to me that Angle Soft may not completely break down without lots of motion and agitation from moving the MH often. However, since my MH does not have internal black tank sensors, and I do wand the tank periodically, I am not concerned about a long term build-up. Frankly, the tank bottom is easy to view and is still clean and white after wanding.

So, while I don't know if another TP brand would leave the same volume of shards on the bottom with my style of MH use, I'll do understand how to maintain a full-flowing tank while using Angle Soft. And, since the price is right, as is the comfort factor for me, I'll continue using it.

As an aside, this past week I put one Great Value "Flushable Wipes" in a glass of water and left it for 24 hours to see if it would break down. It didn't. It simply turned into a soggy wad of "cotton-like" material which was even difficult to tear. Perhaps the next "Scientific TP Survey" should also test some brands of flushable wipes.

I won't be waiting for a flushable wipe test. I've banned them from every RV bathroom I own (3). While the better half and I both know not to EVER flush one, not everyone is that savvy. I routinely give the potty lecture to new visitors and remind repeat visitors the first few times they visit about the rules of only flushing toilet paper. For some reason the "flushable" on the package makes people think that they are toilet paper too. I've dug two out of the forward head of the boat. It even has a macerator right at the  bottom of the bowl and it can't cut them up. So even though the wife likes to use them for makeup, cleaning, and other stuff, we've totally banned them from the area. We found areas near the toilet rooms for ease of proper use, but when visitors are inside "the room", flushable wipes aren't an option.

Ken

PS, much of the new kleenex type products don't break down either. Toilet paper, only toilet paper goes with #1 and #2 in the toilet.

An interesting test but with one major flaw.  How many times are TPs put into pure water?  What effect do the various chemicals have on paper breakdown?  Seems like the bodily fluids would also have a deteriorating effect (just a guess mind you).  Allow me to be the old curmudgeon and say that it was a nice exercise but proved little.  Would never pass the Consumers Report test. LOL.

Ahhh Ken, thanks for your post. I actually thought I was testing what I had intended to test until I read your last post.

I had intended to purchase Continelle disintegrating flushable wipes and test them because I read recently that they do, in fact, disintegrate over time.

While shopping Walmart, I was suprised to see that they were available but were at least 25 percent higher then non-disintrigating flushable wipes. During the process I picked the Wally brand, checked the price and decided to buy them for the test.

Now I know that the Wally brand (Great Value) is not the disintegrating type, just simply standard flushable wipes. I suppose this will be the end of my short, scientific career.

We took the plunge on a recent 10-day coastal trip here in California.  Out with the 'RV' paper and in with the Charmin (which had the worst results in Betty's test - see previous post/pictures on this tread).  Our overall satisfaction as compared to a 2-ply RV paper...we like the Charmin!!  Not only did we find that we used less 'squares' (with more confidence) but the Charmin was happy to slide right down the side of the toilet bowl.  We've found that the RV paper starts dissolving almost immediately and sometimes grabs the bowl and hangs on (like it knows where it's headed)...

Dumping went normally with our gravity system and our tank read empty when we were done.  Our days of using 'RV' toilet paper are officially over...

LOL! It's an "80th percentile" thing anyway. Most papers work well enough in most systems for most people. And a few people will have problems with even the best TP in their particular RV's black system. The remainder may benefit from the better-suited TP's, but still probably don't need "RV toilet paper".

We have friends that bought a small TT which of course came with a small black tank.  When we finally camped together my buddy was complaining that his tank was so small they only use it for crapping in...and that he was having problems dumping it. 
I've heard the rumor (I hope it's a rumor) about those who pull in to an RV park, connect their sewer hose to the park sewer system and then opening their black tank valve for the duration of their visit!?!?!?  This would be disaster waiting to happen...

It seems the black tank is a largely misunderstood system to new RVers. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
LOL! It's an "80th percentile" thing anyway. Most papers work well enough in most systems for most people. And a few people will have problems with even the best TP in their particular RV's black system. The remainder may benefit from the better-suited TP's, but still probably don't need "RV toilet paper".

Ok I'm convinced. I will be going back to tp today. Yuck. But it seems nothing is great, I've always liked cottonelle better than charmin but apparently nothing is 100% dissolvable. Hmmm what to buy? Thank you all

Buy whatever you like to use the best. I prefer the Kirkland TP and consider the fact that it does not dissolve and stick to the bowl like RV paper does to be a plus. It comes sliding out when I dump the same as it slides down the bowl when I flush with no "bits" sticking to the walls of either the toilet or the tank and sensors. In my opinion using lots of water is all the special treatment required. No tank treatments and no special TP. Heck, I would bet that even flushable wipes would come right out the same way the TP does, not sure I am ready to try it yet though.

Back
Top Bottom