Anybody ever go crawdad fishing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheDude

A friend of mine just called o let me know he found a place with enormous amounts of crawdad. Today (per his description) he caught 700 of them. Says there is thousands more.

I am not sure what to make of this, I have never eaten-caught or wanted to catch crawdads, Anyone have any experience with this?

Tim

Tim,

I've eaten crawdads but never fished for them. Expect to get "wet" when you eat them.

Fishing for them is easy - you have a net/basket that allows them to crawl in easily, but makes it difficult to crawl out. Puncture a can of dog food or cat food, put it in the net, lower in the water and wait.

I used a modified minnow trap with a can of cat food, as Tom mentioned. Have some relatives in La. and they love them in gumbo or steamed. The tails are good and are sold commercially in some places.

Thats what my friend was saying, tastes like Lobster. This I gotta see/taste. I always up for a new experience it doesnt sound very sporty if you catch them with a net/basket though. Apparently just south of me we have some very large rice fields and they collect in the drain off ponds. Said to be thousands.....

Thats what I will be doing this weekend.

I used to catch them by hand as a kid.  The places I used to catch them don't have them any more.  That guy who found hundreds of them is on to a good treasure.

When I was a kid(late 70's early 80's) across the state line in NE Arkansas they started putting in rice. We lived right on the border so we would bike about 5 miles to the fields with a garden rake with a refrigerator basket we pulled out of a OLD fridge baling wired to the handle, bottom setting on the tines and wired in. Couple of five gallon buckets and we could fill em up in no time. Just like cleaning out a ditch. Good catfish bait too. If you are a true purist, and are crawfishing for sport, I suggest a piece of string with a piece of old baloney tied on. Once they latch on, you can pull em up. Seriously. If a light tackle enthusiast, I suppose some thread would work. ;D

Back
Top Bottom