Downsizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kdcamper

Dw and I are looking at maybe selling our house and moving into a destination trailer or into a park model.
The question I have is we live in Canada and our weather  can get down -40 in the winter. What we plan on doing is we would stay here till the middle of Dec. or so and then pack up and move to warmer weather till mid April. Just wandering if anybody does this or are doing similar. Not sure how destination trailers would be like, as the ones were looking at have at least 3 slides. All info would be greatly helpfull.

Kid camper 2011 Chev 3500 ltcc 8329ss dp rock wood trailer

Not sure what you mean by a "destination trailer"  Never heard that term before.  Park models are not designed to be moved down the road more than once or twice.  If you want to full time, get a full time trailer and a suitably large truck to tow it safely.  Parking for several months at a time is not a big deal as long as you do your due diligence before heading out each time.

We have no intention on moving the unit and we still have the truck and trailer to use. As far as I can see destination units are longer and they seem to have patio doors to go up against the deck.

If your question is directed to obtaining a home in a Florida (or Texas) RV resort, you'll find that many Resorts have Park models already in place at very reasonable prices. I'd guess our park (Woodsmoke in Ft Myers) has a couple of dozen units owned by Canadians. Here also are numereous units that rent on a monthly basis which I would recommend you consider if you intend to do something like this. In my opinion, the park you select is much more important than the housing.

Ernie

Our intent is to use the destination trailer or park unit left on a site in Canada and use our truck and trailer to travel. I'm  interested in knowing if the destination trailer or a park model would be best for the time that we spend at our home base.

'Destination trailer' is another name for a 'park model'. Something to add to our Glossary of RV terms.

Destination Trailers might serve the same purpose as a Park Model but they are a little different in that usually they have holding tanks and are designed to be left "road ready". Having tanks and being road ready is a requirement for some parks (Escapees park in Sutherlin, OR is one).

ken

Thanks Ken. I missed that distinction in my research.

Back
Top Bottom