Trip out West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Pup!

I just posted a little more insights & pictures for another post on some of the less thought of stuff that we really enjoyed. You can find it in the same section as your post, titled: Illinois to South Dakota or follow this link (if it works): http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=71133.msg652304#msg652304

I agree wholeheartedly with Linda "PUP, just think of this trip as a 'taste' to keep the dreams and plans flowing through the winter months..." You will barely scratch the surface of all there is to see. You can see it all in the amount of time you have, you'll just need more time to "experience" it. Be sure to make the time to park the car, get out and have a picnic, takes pics of the prairie dogs and mountain goats and wild horses. We could have driven all day long to see stuff, but the kids got us out of the car and experiencing it much more.

As for heat, we were there in late July and found it manageable. Some days could be downright reasonable in the Black Hills.

And mileage, yep, I kept it around 55mph and planned ~ 350 miles per a day. It's a road trip and there is so much to see along the way, most times, so why not stop to see it? Besides, someone cautioned me that it is when you get tired that accidents happen, You need to drive fresh! Oh, my absolute favorite love is to stop and a rest stop, go back into my camper and take a power nap. How absolutely decadent! I'm craving it right now just thinking of it!! LOL!

Take it slow, enjoy your camper, enjoy the sights you get to see.

For example, my son noted that we were passing by Metropolis, IL where, guess what, the largest collection of Superman memorabilia resides. I couldn't care a less, but it's the fact that my son spotted it and was like, can we stop for a night and see that? BUT, OF COURSE! That's what this is all about. We planned our targeted destinations for each evening and if we surpassed them, great! We always found a campground and managed.

Samantha

Every time I skim past the title of this post I laugh. I understand that to the east coast, Chicago is the "mid west", but to a west coaster, who would have to drive almost 1,000 miles to get to the western edge of South Dakota, calling it out west is funny. Distance wise it's like me driving "back east" to Minnesota.

Ken

Well Buck if I am reading this map correctly I am going out West!!

You are! You're going west to just past the middle of the country. And when I go "back east" to Minnesota, I'll be going east to just past the middle of the country. It's all a matter of how you define out west and back east.

Ken

Pup said:
I am liking all the information so far but don't stop! Need to know the place's to see and stay. Thanks everybody

Minuteman Missile National Historic Site --- Link:  http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm
Two locations just east of Wall, SD on I-90.  Free Admission, run by National Park Service.  Important to get reservations for underground tour of Launch Control Facility.  I was on the first launch crew that opened this site in July 1965.

Thanks to all that have given positive information. It is greatly appreciated.

Sorry I gave the wrong dates.  I was on the first launch crew at the Minuteman National Historic Site in July 1963 (not 1965).  The 150 Minuteman missiles located in western South Dakota were emplaced there from 1963 to 1994 and I bet a lot of tourists on I-90 never realized there were passing dozens of nuclear missiles on alert in their silos.  Anyway, anybody traveling through that area near Wall, South Dakota, put the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site on our agenda as well as the Badlands just a few miles away and south of Wall.

Make sure you have everything with you to safely change a tire.

Or sign up for CoachNet road service.  They'll not only send someone out to change the tire for you, but if you have a breakdown they'll find a qualified service facility and tow you there free.

We made the trip to Badlands, Black Hills, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons.  That's a full and wonderful month. 

IMHO the Badlands are a 2 hour drive through park.  We planned three nights and stayed 1.  Everybody has to go to Wall Drugs.

You can do a week easy in the Black Hills.

Sheridan, WY - Peter D's, the Sheridan Inn, Custer Battlefield, the Big Horns.

In Cody, stay a few nights and do the museum and the Beartooth.

After Yellowstone,  drop down to Scotts Bluff & visit the National Monument.  Pioneer Village near Kearny.  Visit with Harry in Independance.

Wish I had know about the Minuteman Park.  That sounds Interesting.

Wait,... I'll do a map for you.

If you're going from Scotts Bluff to Kearney along I-80, stop in and see the Union Pacific rail yard in North Platte.  It's the largest rail marshaling yard in the world.  While their engines are being refueled and serviced, switch engines push whole freight trains up a hill, their cars are uncoupled one by one at the top and use gravity to drift down the other side and re-arrange themselves into new trains.

There's a 200 ft. observation tower and interpretive museum on the south side of the yard.

Also in town is the Lincoln County Historical Museum that features a permanent exhibit honoring the North Platte Canteen, a volunteer operation that served home cooked meals to over 6 million troops that passed through North Platte on troop trains during during WWII.

Here ya go.

I planned this for me:
-planned 10A-2PM driving day.  In reality this results in a 6 hour day, about 250 miles.
-no more than 2 one  night stands in a row.  So every third stop is for at least 2 days
-where I list a specific campground, I;ve been there & would go back.
-where its just a city or Natl Park, that's where I would start to look for a campground.

Result is 5600 mile, 49 days.  A little fast for me, I like 100 mile day average.  Too many days for you.  Trim to fit.

I didn't include the Going to the Sun Road.  Awesome ride.

Attachments

• west1a.jpg
    west1a.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 47
  • west2a.jpg
    west2a.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 36
Joel you are going to make my planning so much easier with these maps. Thank You and everybody else for your help.

You're welcome.

It's almost as much fun planning 'em as it is doing.  Plus it brought back some great memories.

Oscar Mike said:
When we travel we use 50 mph as our calculated average (2-adults, 2-dogs, no children), it works out to be pretty close at the end of the trip.
After years of driving a truck and countless arguments with dispatchers, I was rarely able to average over 50-55 mph over most routes. The exception being out west.

How many days should I allow for sight seeing in the Mount Rushmore area ?

One of the most beautiful drives in the Black Hills is Spearfish Canyon.  Do not attempt in the RV, use your tow vehicle or toad.  It is about an hour drive if you don't stop and get out to gawk at the beauty and take pics, but promise you will take longer because it is absurdly beautiful and not to be rushed through.  We spent 3 months in the Black Hills last summer and never once got bored there is so much to do, however if you just want to hit the basics this first trip, my recommendations would be Custer State Park, stay there if you can get in.  Do the wildlife loop for sure.  Spend a day at Rushmore and Crazy Horse to if that interests you.  I really enjoyed doing Mt Rushmore late in the day, and stay for the evening lighting ceremony-very moving. I don't know how old your child is, but our 8 year old grandson enjoyed Bear Country in Rapid City, and he really liked Mammoth Site.  We paid for him to do a Jr. archaeologist  dig where they dug up model mammoth bones and identified them.  I personally would recommend 3 full days in the black hills, and that would be only time to hit the top highlights.  I will also say that I personally like the campgrounds around the Custer and Hill City area better than the Rapid City area.  I mentioned Custer State Park already (any of the campgrounds there are fabulous) but another one we really enjoyed was Rafter J Bar ranch in Hill City!  Free pancake breakfast each morning.  The only other caution I would give you is during the week of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally which is the first full week of august the crowds are unbelievable.  We used to attend the rally every year, and enjoyed ourselves every year, but if I were planning a family vacation and had no interest in bikes, I would avoid those crowds. Also, once you get out there get a local map of the area because there are roads that must not be taken in your RV.
Best Wishes for an enjoyable trip!
Beth Ingberg

What Harvey said.

'specially the evening lighting ceremony at Mt Rushmore.

Lunch at the lodge in Custer State park.

Devil's Tower

Three or four days

Joel

Back
Top Bottom