Water damage floor repair experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge540

I'm new to the forum (this is my first post...)

This is our second camper (AKA water sponge) and I just finished up repairing the floor so I thought I would share the job with others.
Maybe this will inspire you to do it for yourself instead of paying some dealer to take $1200 bucks from your wallet...
The total cost of the repair I did was less than $100 plus a few hours of my time. And I am happy that I know it is done right....

When I asked the dealer how much it would cost to make the repair he said "$1200 if you want it done right"
My first thought was, "is there another way?" and then I decided to do it myself.
Easy job,,, but maybe a bit much if you do not have the tools or have a hard time to get into the tight spaces you may need to access to get the job done.

Best of luck!  :)

Oh and sorry it is in 4 attachments... I'm too new to get bigger than a 250kb file upload.

Attachments

• Dutchman Voltage 3200 Floor Repair adjacent to Bedroom Slide(1).pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Dutchman Voltage 3200 Floor Repair adjacent to Bedroom Slide(2).pdf
    203.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Dutchman Voltage 3200 Floor Repair adjacent to Bedroom Slide(3).pdf
    191.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Dutchman Voltage 3200 Floor Repair adjacent to Bedroom Slide(4).pdf
    241.5 KB · Views: 70
Edge,
How was the original floor attached? Was it glued down or just set in place? Also when you installed the new floor were the plates the only means you used to hold the new floor in place? I have been contemplating replacing my carpet but anticipate some of the subflooring may need replacing as well and am afraid it may be opening a bigger can of worms then I can handle. Your post is very helpful.

Sloop said:
Edge,
How was the original floor attached? Was it glued down or just set in place? Also when you installed the new floor were the plates the only means you used to hold the new floor in place? I have been contemplating replacing my carpet but anticipate some of the subflooring may need replacing as well and am afraid it may be opening a bigger can of worms then I can handle. Your post is very helpful.

Hi,
The framing of this is aluminum. Then they put in a plastic vapor barrier and then the floor.
It was screwed down to the framing.
In this repair I had a support that ran the length of the section and cut the old portion out at the center line of that support.
I had some intrusion beyond that and cut that out and mated the new piece in. The plates that I installed are only to support that small section so it is not creaking.
If I did not have that lengthwise support I would have done it differently... maybe rabbet each piece to 1/2 thickness and then glue the laps together to create a support from the existing floor to the replacement section.
I did edge to edge glue the two pieces together to more so provide some isolation (noise) and a little structure by gluing them together.
Another option if you have the possibility is to biscuit joint the pieces, that works well but you have to be able to get everything back in place and sometimes that is not practical.

One thing I know is that these are all put together pretty poorly. just start removing things and you will see...
For what these cost new you would hope there would be one of the following... a good design or good craftsmanship (in either case, the prevailing one can make up for the missing one) 
What I know from talking to a lot of people is that they all are lacking both in most cases and it does not matter if it is a $20k rig or a $500k rig... :mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom