Stock Wrangler sport, Prep for Moab rally????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After going through two CB radios, I finally found one I like and works well - it's a Uniden Bearcat PC78.  My first CB was a $30 Midland, the receiver went south in it after a few months.  Next one was a Cobra all-in-one microphone (the mic has all of the controls and speaker) - I hated that one because it didn't perform well and the mic was way too large to be comfortable in my hands.

Another option is a CB talkie - I have this one and it's okay but the range with the rubber-duckie is pretty bad.  It would be okay with an external antenna

Quite a few of the guys I off road with including myself are using Uniden Pro520XL's cb's. They are compact, work very well, and only run about $50. Personally I run one with a 2' firestick, and it's as clear as a bell....http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO520XL-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00004VXNI

Water Dog said:
Quite a few of the guys I off road with including myself are using Uniden Pro520XL's cb's. They are compact, work very well, and only run about $50. Personally I run one with a 2' firestick, and it's as clear as a bell....http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO520XL-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00004VXNI

I know a few people who have run this one as well and like it.

I have the Cobra model 75 and really like it.  It is the one that mounts remotely and all of the controls are in the mic/handset.  I like it mainly because it is concealed and out of the way but it works well.  In a Jeep with the top off I will recommend running an external speaker as the small speaker in the handset is not adequate.  I mounted a small 4" 20 ohm speaker just above my rearview mirror and it works great, plus I was able to completely hide all of the wiring under trim panels all the way down to the unit itself mounted under the passenger seat.

Mike.

captsteve said:
Wow, I just noticed I Put Q in the subject instead of MOAB. I'm a Dork!

I thought  you were planning a year in advance to be ready for the  runs in Quartzsite!

Thanks Kim! You can roll with us!

Betty, I'm gonne do my best to make q also. Hope my schedule will allow it.

OK Guys, Here is where I stand as of now.

Front recovery bumper w/ 12k winch: Installing bumper today, winch will be here on the 21st.

Wednesday, 2" lift and 33"MT tires install.

Wednesday, Remove factory steps and install Rock Sliders.

Have: 1-30' recovery strap, 1-Fire Extinguisher, 1- First aid kit, 1- Tire repair kit, 1- Compressor, Spare fluids, 1- Folding Shovel, CB Radio, Rear receiver hitch recovery adapter.

Whats next??? I think I should be set for a bit for the mild stuff????

That's a great start.

Add a tree strap (probably won't need that for Moab, but good to have anyway), two shackles (D rings), a few large zip-ties, duct tape, ratchet strap, spare fuses, leather gloves, we also carry a roll of TP in a zip-lock baggie, flashlight, pen/pencil and paper, backpack with a change of clothes (you can get real dirty and/or wet on the trail especially if you have to do a trail repair), lightweight rain suits or a poncho and if we're in the desert, we carry some jackets in case you're out and it's getting near dark.

I've stopped carrying a high-lift jack - those things are amazingly dangerous to use and now carry a bottle jack.

Soft sided or hard side cooler for lunch and snacks that you can immobilize and plenty of water.  DW and I usually go through six or eight bottles of water between us.  It's always good to have a GPS of some sort that does breadcrumbs so you can always find your way back at the end of the day.

John Canfield said:
That's a great start.

Add a tree strap (probably won't need that for Moab, but good to have anyway), two shackles (D rings), a few large zip-ties, duct tape, ratchet strap, spare fuses, leather gloves, we also carry a roll of TP in a zip-lock baggie, flashlight, pen/pencil and paper, backpack with a change of clothes (you can get real dirty and/or wet on the trail especially if you have to do a trail repair), lightweight rain suits or a poncho and if we're in the desert, we carry some jackets in case you're out and it's getting near dark.

I've stopped carrying a high-lift jack - those things are amazingly dangerous to use and now carry a bottle jack.

Soft sided or hard side cooler for lunch and snacks that you can immobilize and plenty of water.  DW and I usually go through six or eight bottles of water between us.  It's always good to have a GPS of some sort that does breadcrumbs so you can always find your way back at the end of the day.
And I thought RVing was expensive :eek:

Sounds like I have most all of what I need! Now just have to wait for May!!! I guess thats the hard part :-[

Looks like you do Steve. Very nice set up.

Do you have trails around where you live?

Get out and drive that puppy!

And ditto on the leather gloves!

Just curious, does your winch have cable or rope?
I put together a nice recovery bag with all the goodies in it!
That way that is all I need to grab to help someone!

And a good tire plug kit is a must! I don't think anyone has said that yet!

Ernie n Tara said:
Actually, not a lot of pinstriping at Moad. You can go straight to DENTS, ;D ;D

Want some Moab pin-striping try Hey Joe Canyon....http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=89

Ask Mike & Crystal how they liked it.<G>

Terry A. Brewer said:
Want some Moab pin-striping try Hey Joe Canyon....
Ask Mike & Crystal how they liked it.<G>

The trail starts out pretty enough and then... note the archway.  I  think it is about here that Mike turned around as this was an out and back trail to get scratches coming and going!

Attachments

• Hey Joe Canyon May 16, 2012 11-26 PM.JPG
    Hey Joe Canyon May 16, 2012 11-26 PM.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Hey Joe Canyon May 17, 2012 12-40 AM.JPG
    Hey Joe Canyon May 17, 2012 12-40 AM.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom