Replacing couch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lenae

My parents have a motorhome, I don't know the model, but I do know it's a 1993. The couch is getting to be uncomfortable. Some of the springs are shot, and while it's okay for sitting on and visiting, or for grandkids sleeping on, it is pretty uncomfortable for an adult. We are planning a trip to Disneyland in March of 2015. My husband, two children, and parents will be making the two day drive down, staying for 5 days, then the two day drive back. Husband and I will be sleeping on the couch. I am thinking a good birthday present for my dad would be a replacement couch. I have no idea where to start looking for one, though. His current couch is about 6 feet long I guess, and jacknifes. I will discuss with my mom what he's wanting, make sure I get the right measurements and whatnot, I'm just looking for starting points. Thanks!

Does the sofa set in a slideout?  What's the longest length you could go for a sofa...outside arm to outside arm?

No slideout, and I don't have measurements yet as I haven't even discussed it with my mom.

Then my solution won't work...needs to be in a slide out to have enough room to fold this out.  I just purchased this:  http://www.castrohomefurnishings.com/Casby-Espresso-Pu-Leather-Sofa-Bed-Full-Sleeper_p_1337.html  but in queen size (3 cushions) and with a slide out it opens fully to a nice queen size bed.  I am going to ask my local furniture store (where I purchased queen size) to order in a full size also.  I took out our dining table last year because we don't use it.  I will put the full size sofa bed in place of it.  Then I'll have queen and full size sofa beds in the living area for grandkids and adult kids to use.  The sofa is contemporary and stylish, comfortable to sit on and the best thing...the back slides off so it's easy to get in and out RV doors.

Probably your best bet would be to Google "RV furniture" and see what's out there.  Might add your state if you want something you can go look at.  The important thing is to find something that the back either removes or lays flat to get it in the door.  There's quite a bit out there. 

Margaret   

Typically, when you replace RV furniture the major limitations will be weight and the ability to break it down and get through the small opening of the entrance door. RV furniture as originally installed tends to be light and often not designed for long term heavy use. Keeping the price and weight down are usually the first things coach designers are working with.

As long as you don't stray too far from the original weight, less critical since you are not loading a slideout, it should be more of getting the measurements right and finding what you want to sleep on. A good bed is worth its weight in gold on a trip like yours!

We have also had good luck with the heavy duty queen size air mattresses you can find at Sam's, Walmart, and elsewhere if a more temporary solution will work. Before the motorhome, I was waiting on furniture for two months in a long distance move, and that heavy duty air mattress was wonderful. That mattress was far superior to the one that came in our sleeper couch in the new motorhome and that particular couch has since left the building and been replaced by a desk.

Good luck shopping!

There are several outlets that specialize in RV furnishings, but often you can use standard residential pieces as well. You need to look closely at the sofa in the coach - it may have a furnace or other equipment under it, or may even have warm air ducts integrated with it.

He might also like to have a recliner (or two) instead of a sofa. That's a fairly common upgrade if the extra sleeping space isn't required.

Here are a few sources:
http://www.rvfurniturecenter.com/
http://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/home.asp
http://www.glastop.com/rv-furniture.asp

One thing to consider is how to get it in the RV.  If it comes in pieces you can assemble it inside.  That is why you might want to consider the recliner option.  Otherwise, you might be looking at removing the windshield to get it in (or out of) there.

If they went with the recliner option...they'd have no place for them to sleep while at Disneyland.  :) 

if you have a front entry, you can remove the co-pilot chair for better access

Most couches are designed to have secret places where pieces are removed, so that it can go in and out of doors.

I would go with the air bed as an option.

Call around the used dealers, the bigger the better, they often have spare furniture that other people had removed before they took delivery. Might find something in great shape.

Here's a solution for RV's that need a spare bedroom!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I6420U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000I6420U&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

Attachments

• spare bedroom for RV-ers.png
    spare bedroom for RV-ers.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 10
Lenae

I have a jack knife coach that was taken out of a Tiffin MH.

It is yours for the taking.

I live about 50 miles from Disneyland.

George

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. My mom is trying to find a way to get dad out of the house so she can go measure the old couch, but she isn't having any luck! I did a quick google search for RV couches and found some I like that seemed like a reasonable price, but I'm going to continue to look. I am a frugal (read: cheap) person, so I tend to research things to death before committing to something, lol.

cvrvr said:
Lenae

I have a jack knife coach that was taken out of a Tiffin MH.

It is yours for the taking.

I live about 50 miles from Disneyland.

George

Thank you for your kind offer! However, we won't be in California for a long while yet, and I'm hoping to replace the couch as a birthday surprise this July.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom