Medical Care in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hehbr

We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer and will be driving through western Canada along the Alaska Highway. For those of you like me that are on Medicare, what did you do for medical care coverage in Canada. As I understand it Medicare does not cover you outside the US.

We are very fortunate in that I have a supplemental medical insurance from the company I retired from in addition to Medicare and the AARP Medicare supplement.  It covers us outside the US similar to Medicare coverage in the US.  If we did not have that, I would contact several of the medical insurance companies to see if I could get a supplemental coverage for the time in Canada.

Hehbr,
You may want to check this Company.
www.internationalplan.com 
Company is valued by  Best at AA  Strong.
Deductible $259.00
Coverage $1,000,000 costs  $ 322.00 / month for 2 people.
This was the last quote I received one year ago. However, we did not need to use it as we had other coverage then.
May have to use at our next trip up to Canada.
If I remember correctly, I was referred to them by my supplemental insurance which is United Health Care with AARP.
If anyone has any experience with Internationalplan, I would like to hear it.
Or any good alternative would be useful.

Thanks.

I've had to see doctors a couple of times in Canada.  Each time the fee was $100.  You have to pay at the time of your visit.  They do not process your insurance.  We have foreign coverage as part of our Medicare supplement,  but there is a deductible of $250 or $500.  Don't remember the exact amount.

One of the reasons we choose "Anthem" as our supplemental insurance is because they provide coverage in Canada after a $250.00 deductable.  However, that is not the case if we travel in Europe or other countries.  Then, I'll buy a temporary policy from our insurance broker.

Another tip about traveling in Canada, if you have Verizon, you can add Canada to your plan at the cost of $20.00/month.  This does NOT include data just voice with no long distance and no roaming charges.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Another tip about traveling in Canada, if you have Verizon, you can add Canada to your plan at the cost of $20.00/month.  This does NOT include data just voice with no long distance and no roaming charges.

Marsha~

Only true if you are on one of the new "share all plans". Those of us on old grandfathered plans with unlimited data need not apply! We just used the "international" plan available to us from Verizon, but it is something like 80 cents a minute. Only uswed the phone to do things like make reservations. For Data we bought a Telus Mifi on a Flex plan. Worked very well for us.

Our AARP Supplemental (plan F) also has coverage for Canada.

ken

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Only true if you are on one of the new "share all plans". Those of us on old grandfathered plans with unlimited data need not apply! We just used the "international" plan available to us from Verizon, but it is something like 80 cents a minute. Only uswed the phone to do things like make reservations. For Data we bought a Telus Mifi on a Flex plan. Worked very well for us.

Our AARP Supplemental (plan F) also has coverage for Canada.

ken

ken

We also have a Verizon unlimited plan and has the same issues.  We purchased a Telus prepaid phone for calls in Canada and a Fido USB stick for internet (Fido is a reseller than uses the Rogers network). 

Buying Canadian cellular equipment often requires you to have a Canadian address.  Your success in this effort may depend on the "creativity" of the person helping you at a particular store.  ;D

Sorry about string drift, but is that really you Gilles?  If so, I haven't seen you post in quite a while.  Do you still come to Quebec City to visit family most summers?  How have you two been.

Ed & Donna

Ed and Donna,
Yes it is me Gilles. Let me contact you by  email since we are not going to talk about insurance in Canada.

Hehbr,
I believe that I read that Medicare will cover EMERGENCY medical problems when you are traveling thru Canada from the lower 48 to and from Alaska. You might give Medicare a call to be sure.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom