Best truck for towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freewillandfrugal

We currently have a 2002 chevy 2500 with the duramax and pull a 35' tt that weighs 7,200 lbs dry.  It does a good job but I don't have anything to compare it too.  We are looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel to go full-timing.  The fifth wheels we looked at are between 15,000 and 18,000 loaded.  I am personally a Chevy fan but it seems that more people prefer Fords.  What are your opinions?

You won't find that answer on the internet. All you're going to get is a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge argument. If you're a Chevy guy then get a Chevy , oh and with trailer weights like that I'd be looking at a 1 ton dually.

My vote is for Ford though if you have to have it. Haha.

I agree - there is no answer for the question you've asked. The best truck for the job is any truck with the appropriate weight and tow ratings. Beyond that, it's your personal preference on design, features, etc. I suppose one could do endless research on repair records, owner satisfaction, etc. but my personal belief is no matter the source, there is bias in virtually every report or review out there.

I'm a GM guy myself but when I was shopping back in 2010, I drove them all. I'd recommend the same. Just try to keep an open mind - you might come back to GM (I did based on interior design and comfort) or you may find something in one of those "other" trucks that you like.  ;D

I'm a Ford man all the way...and I buy a bigger truck than my needs require. For example when I bought my Lance 1121 Camper in 2004 (recently sold) I put it in the back of a F550 conversion when a F350 with air bags would have done the job. I still own the truck, in fact it is now being converted to a flatbed for our business.

When the Lance Camper was in the back of the F550, I had virtually no sway, I could take a 13% grade towing my 1974 CJ5 (Parowan, UT to Panguitch, UT via Brian Head and drive back down again without any trouble whatsoever.

If I were to be a Fifth Wheel man I would buy a truck that would do the job without question. If my budget allowed I would go for the Ford F450 Dually and then find a fifth wheel to match it up to.

Attachments

• Diamond Lake, OR.jpg
    Diamond Lake, OR.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
What the others said.  I also am a Ford guy when it comes to trucks, but you are really only going to be able to make your decision by trying them all.  A lot has changed since your 2002 model for all three brands.  There is just no way someone can say "it's the best" and it not be anything other than a personal opinion.  Now, if you have any specific questions, let us know, and we'll do what we can to help you.

I think the best truck would be built like  Freightliner does it...you can order whatever motor, trans and chassis you want.

I'd make it a Ford truck (double wall) chassis, with a Dodge (Cummings) motor in it, and a Chevy (Allison) trans.

it would be a Fordgevy

I just bought a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins.  I haven't even got a chance to tow with it, but I will say it's vastly superior to all other.  ;)

I'm kidding of course....any new diesel pickup with the appropriate tow ratings will do the job very nicely.  Drive them all, and take home the one you fall in love with.

1 ton dually of any make.  They all have some good points and bad.  It's you money get what you wan to.  Just get a 1 ton or bigger with duals for your weight

Unfortunately when you ask this type of question to be answered on a site like this it is responded to by the truck they have.  It really gets no good answers just opinions. 

As I look at the Ford, Chevy, and Ram web pages for specifications on towing, it seems that if you compare apples with apples, 250s or 350s can tow about the same weight.  So, if the information provided is correct, then the decision should be what brand feel more comfortable and at ease with. What happens at times is that people do not compare equally equipped trucks.

the new Big Ram truck will tow 30k lbs....that's impressive.

TonyDtorch said:
the new Big Ram truck will tow 30k lbs....that's impressive.

No doubt.  The 3500 dually Ram is a beast

Equipped properly, the new 2500 Ram Cummins is good for about 17,500, and the half tonner Hemi at close to 12K

I have a '13 RAM dually with the standard (not HO) Cummins, 3.73 rear end and Aisin tranny.  I'm limited to towing to about 25K pounds.  I'm towing a 16,500 loaded 5er, and it tows like a champ.  I recommend the RAM.

elliott-maine said:
I have a '13 RAM dually with the standard (not HO) Cummins, 3.73 rear end and Aisin tranny.  I'm limited to towing to about 25K pounds.  I'm towing a 16,500 loaded 5er, and it tows like a champ.  I recommend the RAM.

Yeah, you're seriously handicapped as to what you can tow LOL  ;D

I'm a chevy man too. I was towing with a 2006 2500HD with a Duramax, it was just fine, but decided to go a little bigger. I'm now towing with a 2011 3500HD, single rear wheel.  Totally pleased with it towing my Grand Design, 39' 5th wheel..

I've always been a Ford truck guy but there is a Utube video of a Chevy Ford frame twist test that will shock you.

check this out....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMQjm7i2Jw

Ok, so I'm jumping in here, figuring a thread with one of the hottest debate subjects as good as any place to start.  :D

I've owned both Ford and GM trucks and love both for various reasons. Is there anyone here that has done a decent comparison of various data points between the two (or three, incl Dodge)? I'm a data/metrics/spreadsheet type of over-analyzer guy so I'd love to see whats out there if anyone has any data to share.

Tony, that video is awesome. But it doesn't answer one question I have....isn't some flexibility better than none? Or rather...what amount of flexibility is good vs. bad? Obviously kinking up your tailgate is a bad thing, IMHO.  :eek:

-Matt

This is what you can find out going to the web pages of trucks about max towing capacity. The only big difference is if you go to DRW, at that point Ram is number one although Chevy is claiming the 2015 model will beat it.  Have to wait

Chevy            Ford            Ram
2500 (Max. Towing)            16,700            16,500        17,970

3500 Dually (Max Towing)  23,100            22,600        30,000

Best advice here so far is to drive all three.  I happened to be in parking lot yesterday and heard a very loud diesel pickup, it was a Dodge.  I would never buy that one, only that one.  Newer, others might be much quieter.  Look at and test.  Any of them 1 tons will pull your rig.

The "best" truck would be a Cummins diesel motor, coupled with a Duramax transmission mounted on a Ford chassis.  Personally I have found it counterproductive to be married to one brand as all the big 3 are constantly making improvements, there are good and bad years for all.  So you may cut yourself short by being brand loyal.  I would look at each one with an open mind, read the reviews, drive each one and choose the one that fits your needs and budget best because in the end they are all capable of doing the job.  From what you are looking at, I agree with previous posts that a 1-ton dually would be the best fit.

Back
Top Bottom