How do I choose a RV with out going insane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've had a lot of advice. Here's mine. Stop and think. Think about what you want to do. Where do you REALLY want to go and how much time will you spend there? How long do you plan to live in a MH? What happens if you found someone else you'd like to have travel with you? How much money do you want to waste buying one rig and then selling it to buy another?

I've posted this lecture many times so you can look up my posts and probably find the long version, I'll make it short here. Figure out what you want and buy ONE rig. Buy the one you want with the accessories you want. Don't buy with the idea that you'll get something different next time. Buy with the idea that you'll use this one til your done. You already know if you spend a lot of time outside or inside. You already know if you have 28 bottles of potions and lotions in the bathroom. You already know if you spend hours or minutes on the computer. Buy one, the first one, that fits your needs. Sales tax is a horrible price to pay for changing rigs because you didn't make a good decision the first time.

If you're going to live in CA then the size issue makes sense. CA has stupid size limits in their campgrounds, limits on their roads, and other crazy stuff. Everybody else is in the 21st century and has adequate size spaces in their parks. If you're just going to be in CA for short periods of time buy a full size RV and use the commercial parks that can accomodate you. We spend a month or two in CA each year because the other half wants to and our 43' fits just fine in most commercial parks.

Go read the posts asking about how to add power to the gassers. Go read the posts about being over weight. Buy a diesel pusher with enough power and space to make you happy. Remember as you get to 40' the weight becomes a big issue. Better to be at 36 or so and have weight capacity than 40 and be overweight everywhere you go. The gassers are for weekend getaways where the kids are going to wear out the inside before the chassis wears out. While there are fulltimers with gassers, look at what the majority of fulltimers buy.

My opinions are not the last word. Do your research and run the numbers. Check the weight limits on different rigs. Look at everyones signature line and see what the fulltimers are living in, figure out what the sales tax and licensing fees are on a rig and decide whether you want to pay them again in a year or two after you "decide" what you want. Decide before you buy and save the money.

Ken

All of you have given me your opinions, suggestions, friendly advice and encouragement and I am grateful for the educated perspectives. This is not a choice I plan to rush but I must admit I was going nuts with all the little considerations as much as the larger ones. I am 90% sure I will get a Class A and if I can find a diesel I like that will be my choice if not then I will look for Gasser that will handle towing with the least effort. Once the weather gets better I will take my telescope or a mock up made to size to narrow down my storage needs. (I really need to buy some cases for my astronomy equipment.) You all have answered some questions and brought up new ones to consider.  I have recently discovered my dog is afraid of RV stairs I am hoping to get him over this fear when better weather arrives or will have to look into access ramps for him to get in and out of the RV.

Thanks again for your replies.

As to the stairs, one of my dogs is afraid, too. When you see RV's on the lot they don't have stair covers.  Once they are put on, a 10 minute job, there won't be holes and clacking the dog will be afraid of.  We don't have a problem now.

What you should know before you buy a Big Rig Motorhome!
We want to Share what we have learned the hard way:
The two manufactures that combine to make your coach take virtually NO responsibility for each other product!!!
Most importantly ?Almost No One in this country is qualified to work on you coach or Chassis?!
Our experience talking to and working with Newmar Service and FCCC that there are very few places with competent service people.
Getting Coach Service: Newmar factory Service is excellent but it takes 5 to 6 to get an appointment The only other choice for quality service per the Newmar Service Line is the Dealer in Ft Myer, FL or the one in Tucson AZ.
Freightliner Service for your custom Chassis: Only Freightliner ?Oasis Service Centers? ?450 Freightliner-branded service locations throughout North America, including more than 90 Oasis Network dealerships? see  https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/

I just bought mine.  I made a list of what I wanted, NOT what the seller or salesman said I wanted. How do they know what you need or want.?

Then with list in hand I started looking.  Then when they said , oh you dont need such and such, I say yes I do....
I  told many salesman I had no need for what ever they were selling and he said oh yes you do.  I told them they could pay for it. That always changed their mind.
I didnt need or want slides. boy did the salesmen bulk at that. but again its what I want and need not what they say I needed.

My wife and I are first timers and had no clue what size or type we wanted. We started out the process of what to buy just over two years ago. First we just went looking at different ones around us which really opened our minds as to what would work for us. Our ultimate goal was to find one that would fit our needs for full timing. That was 1st on our list. Second was what would fit in most parks (State and all others second). 3rd was what creature comforts we wanted or needed. The last two really started to narrow our search for the right one. 4th was quality. Why? because we were going full blown living in it and need less stress about brake downs and stuff falling apart. By the time we got to #4 we started looking at dealers that had a good reputation and knowledge of what they were selling and what other brands that are currently out there. You have already stated most of your creature and comfort needs as well as must haves and that is where you should focus on. Whether its diesel or gas shouldn't matter too much for you to tow as most have already stated. Looking at floorplans on line helped us deciding as well since it gave a different perspective of what the RV had in it and saved time of having to go look at it. We ended up in a used Tiffin and are loving it. Yes the process was long and in the end was worth the wait. So glad we did not rush into it and took our time.

EdwardMH said:
Thank you for the reply, Storage is a huge issue for me as I will be hauling some musical instruments and most important a Large Telescope 12" in diameter. I am leaning toward a Class A more than C for just this reason, I was also told that since I will be towing my Prius V behind the RV I MUST get a Diesel.

Smokey is my PTSD/Balance Service Dog and his access is something I need to consider when I go to a Private RV Park as I do not know how the ADA Laws work in Private parks.

Having a diesel or not really has no effect on towing.  I have a class C gas with ford vqo and tow a ford Escape and so little it any impact on either the power of my RV or the gas mileage.  The only challenge at times is find a gas station and so far we have managed that just fine.

Telescope should not be a problem, particularly if you get a unit with "pass through" storage. Essentially all parks accept pets so I would not antivipate a problem.

Ernie

A salesman can't tell you want YOU want. YOU tell HIM what YOU want.

I hate camping.  I enjoy traveling. so I decided on a motorhome not a trailer.
I expected to be boondocking , staying in cabellas etc.  So Slideouts were NOT on my list .... You shouldnt put out a slide in walmart...

I had to have a generator. I had to be able t o walk around the bed to make it.
Ididnt want a wet bath. I wanted separate shower and toilet section.
I need lots of storage.

I also didnt want a slide because with it in,
some models make it tough to walk into the back.
28 foot was the shortest , that worked for me. 

When I talked to salesman,I told them what I wanted .  They always showed me something I didnt want. Then tried to talk me into buying something I didnt want. The best thing was . thank you for your time and walk out. So make a list of what YOU  need and go shopping....

Back
Top Bottom