need help with painting my cabinets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alasurgtech

Hi y'all,
ok need help with my cabinets..hoping someone on here can help or suggest what to do.  I took down one of my bathroom cabinets, which is that fake wood with gold trim, its made of particle board (starting small) and lightly sanded the back and sides.  Wiped it off , made sure it was dry,  then painted with a cabinet primer/paint.  The inside border of it turned out good, but the outside border started to flake off... so did I not sand it as well? Do I sand over it and repaint?  Really confused on what to do next...thanks for any help...

Flaking paint is always a prep problem, but you are painting over what is basically paper so sanding cannot be too deep or there is nothing left but the underlying particle board (MDF). Did you clean it good first, e.g. with mineral spirits or maybe TSP cleanser?  A bit of grease or oily residue (common in kitchens) will make any paint peel away. If you use TSP, you need to rinse well to make sure the powder residue is gone and that's pains-taking since you can't flood the particle board with water

In any case, the primer isn't sticking, so you need to sand enough to remove it and get the underlying surface clean and at least a bit scuffed up before you can try another primer.

What brand of primer was it? Sometimes a shellac-base or alkyd-base primer works where others don't.

Also after you have sanded you need to remove the fine dust with a tack cloth. If you wash the cabinets with TSP (which we did) then you have to rinse it off and let it dry until you are absolutely sure it is thoroughly dry, not just the surface.  After we washed our cabinets with TSP we painted them first with Kilz, which is primer that seems to be extra sticky. And our two final coats adhered very well. So I recommend those three things (1. wash with TSP and dry, 2. sand and remove all dust with tack cloth and 3. use Kil as primer).

Good luck!

Elly

If the cabinets were previously varnished with an oil based product you cannot go over that with a latex it will just peel off even if you sand it the oil will have soaked into the wood substructure. Try the op advice and use kills for your base coat you may have to put more than one coat on it to cover it well then apply the final coat.

wdg57 said:
I'm thinking of painting my cabinets.  What's TSP cleanser?

Tri Sodium Phosphate  it is available from any paint store  about 5 bucks for a small package thst will make maybe 10 gallons.  Great stuff for cleaning.

I did a lot of research before I painted the large bathroom vanity in our home a few years ago.  I don't remember all the details but the paint has with stood several years of use without showing any wear.  I put a lot of prep work into the project; TSP, sanding, tack cloth etc. but I also bought a great primer and paint which I think was equally as important as the prep work.  Now if only I could remember the brand...  I'll have to see if I saved any of the primer and paint. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom