Looking at a hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian19889

Hello all,

Wife and I are looking into buying the family's first RV.  We're looking at the hybrids, and found one that we like, that's nicely in our price range.  Check it out, and let me know what you think.  What are some things that I should look at/for before I buy?  I'm pulling with a Toyota Sequoia, which this RV fits comfortably within it's range.  What kind of care do you need to take with the tents?

http://www.grumbinesrv.com/hybrid-travel-trailer/2005/forest-river-rockwood/274940

Let me know what you think.  This camper is in Harrisburg, PA, and I live in Meadville, PA (roughly 4 1/2 hours away), so I want to make sure that I know what I'm doing if I do venture to go look at it.

Thanks for your time! 8)

make sure you are able to unfold and fold up the bed(s) easily. What we found when looking at hybrids was that even the salespersons could not get the bed canvas all tucked in so that the door could close.

We bought a little StarCraft AR-one15 hybrid a year ago, and we absolutely frigging kick ass love it.  After 20+ years in a tent trailer, we could not switch to a full hard side, because we so love hearing the outdoors through the canvas.  And the rainy nights?  Fantastic ;D.

Not sure if they even use old school canvas anymore; this is how StarCraft describes that material: With a 7-year tent warranty, our mold resistant, double-stitched AquaShield Aqualon material doesn't stretch, shrink or crack, providing long-lasting durability even when it's up against Mother Nature.

I'd just make sure if you get rained on, you open it and air dry it out when you get home.

We are looking at the same hybrid and also have the same tow vehicle. Wondering what the outcome was of your decision.

We have a Flagstaff Shamrock, which is the same thing (for the most part) as a Rockwood--both are made by Forest River.  We love the hybrid!  It's the most efficient way to go as far as we're concerned.  We have a few concerns with the quality of some of the construction, but I think a good bit of that is a trade off to make it as light as possible.

Please be advised, though, that Forest River makes the dealer do everything.  Any problems that you have will be met with zero response.  We had an issue early on that ultimately the dealer resolved, but we called Forest River, and even called the rep, and neither would return our calls.

We have a StarCraft as well and love it!  We got the Travel Star 207rb.  The bunks are easy, easy, easy, down and back up.  And the 2014 Travel Star has a two year warranty and the canvass even longer.

Oh, and if you don't mind a drive, we ordered ours through littlecampersdirect and saved thousands.

Back
Top Bottom