Restrictions on Outside Paint Job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnh23

Hi-I am nearly finished with an entire remodel of a 30 year old Heritage Class C 24'. I guess it didn't occur to me till after I already started a paint job on the outside that maybe there are "rules" or "restrictions" on what RV Parks allow or what other rver's want to have to look at. I absolutely cannot bear to go with bland paint and graphics/decals-but then again don't want to be turned away from places either. I already am aware of alot of places with the no RV older than 10 yrs. rule, but this is more of an aesthetics thing. I can "see" my colorful RV looking odd amongst the usual tans and whites, even the newer paint jobs that are darker. I am a mural artist and will tone it down if I have to just to fit in a little better, but even my most simple idea may not be all that subdued. Think sunset at the beach...........color scheme mostly black, yellowy-orange and red. Great if it were just sitting on my property all the time, but plan on taking it south and living in it. Don't want to get on the road and wish I had just painted it off-white! Any and all opinions on the subject are appreciated!  :)

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to express who you are and will be a fantastic conversation starter at CG's so if you don't want to talk to people than you would want to keep it simple  ;).

I think if you try to avoid what might be obviously offensive to "most" (people vary of course) like no naked people or a hand giving the finger, stuff like that. If you come up with your preliminary drawing and are concerned about something specific then you can always share it here if you want opinions.

Have fun with it and PLEASE do share when you have it completed, we love pictures of others creativity! Personally I am so sick of seeing the same paint jobs/colors on RV's and would LOVE to see something different!

Sadly, people can be narrow minded. If it looks like a hippie bus your paint may be in the same category as duct tape. Once you are fulltime, you will be a bona-fide non conformist, no need to flaunt it to your own disadvantage. CG personnel will label it an art car that belongs at Burning Man.
No offense intended, I wanna faux paint mine to look like a brick house hurtling down the highway!

Bill

driftless shifter said:
Sadly, people can be narrow minded. If it looks like a hippie bus your paint may be in the same category as duct tape. Once you are fulltime, you will be a bona-fide non conformist, no need to flaunt it to your own disadvantage. CG personnel will label it an art car that belongs at Burning Man.
No offense intended, I wanna faux paint mine to look like a brick house hurtling down the highway!

Bill

You can always take it to Slab City ;)

cnh23 said:
I am a mural artist and will tone it down if I have to just to fit in a little better, but even my most simple idea may not be all that subdued. Think sunset at the beach...........color scheme mostly black, yellowy-orange and red.

IMO, it couldn't be any worse than what the manufacturers put on.  I am especially referring to the trailers with 6'x8' murals of nature scenes and mountain lions.  ::)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. But I'm a realist and a student of human nature. I don't much care for the jagged tribal tattoo looking graphics seen now. And why would someone think "Intruder" was a good name for an RV model?
<rant over>

Bill

I posted up a picture. This is literally just a base coat with some ideas sketch painted in - the top and bottom and trees (anything black) will be finished off in a dark charcoal iron oxide sparkly finish. Thinking of just painting the cab all black/iron oxide, still uncertain there. Have a new awning that is black. I really don't care what people think in so much as my art, but just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb either-as you can see the colors are intense. ! I have this base on one side and can easily just paint over it if the consensus is that it is too much. Far from the finished product, but you can get an idea of where it's headed. My other option is to keep the mural but whitewash it when done and that would tone the colors down. I have painted atleast 50 outdoor murals in the past twenty years on a variety of surfaces and am not worried about it holding up. I spent countless hours scraping off old caulk, putting on new and sanding/prepping then spent about three hours slapping this on-so I'm not afraid or too upset to change it. (Yes I'm getting new hubs! HA HA!)

Attachments

• listing pics 038.jpg
    listing pics 038.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 352
The fact your RV is 30 years old is going to keep you from being able to stay in many RV parks. It is not that the RV park owners care about the age of your RV, it is because older RVs raise a flag that you might pay one months rent and then stop paying rent. It is usually difficult for them to throw out someone not paying their rent. Since you are painting the RV in bright bold colors you are really bringing attention to yourself and your RV and that will cause many RV park owners to look you over even more carefully and give them another excuse to deny you access to their park.

It really will stick out like a sore thumb and I don't know why you would want to do that. It makes you a target for theft and for the police to scrutinize you. I am a photographer so I understand wanting to show off your art, but not to the point of ridiculousness. I have one of my photos turned into a mural and the mural covers my back window. 44" x 20". More than enough to make a statement. You are also making it so that reselling it would be a huge problem. I think what you are doing is a huge mistake. Paint it beige and be happy. An RV is not an art project, it is a house and a vehicle.

Yes, see now that I put all that color up there it made me stop and think about all the issues it may cause. Exactly why I came here to get opinions because that is what I consider "ridiculous" yet I love it and would definitely do it if it was only sitting put on my own property all the time. I have no intention of ever reselling it, may end up giving it to one of my kids. Also don't plan on spending alot of time in RV parks long term, but don't want to have a problem when I do-as I said, I know lots of places won't even let us in because of it's age and will just have to find the places that don't have an issue with it. It's old and I love it that way. The inside is certainly "artsy" enough for me to live with the outside alot more plain.  I appreciate your input!

driftless shifter said:
And why would someone think "Intruder" was a good name for an RV model?
<rant over>

Bill---I have also wondered that, every time I see one.

I'd suggest that "Bright" may be worse than older from the park owners point of view. If I had an older MH, I'd try for "Elegant" which is definitely not a Corona ad. "Traditional" done perfectly would be a close second. You have the ability, so why not show off how well you can do rather than how wild an idea you can come up with.

Ernie

Ernie that's it! You have inspired me! You are totally right, the problem is the brightness more than anything else and I can easily fix that. I don't know how "elegant" I can make this old boy look, but I can definitely make it more standard while still giving it an artistic touch. I am going to go at it tonite and post up the new color scheme and idea in the morning -

cnh23 said:
Ernie that's it! You have inspired me! You are totally right, the problem is the brightness more than anything else and I can easily fix that. I don't know how "elegant" I can make this old boy look, but I can definitely make it more standard while still giving it an artistic touch. I am going to go at it tonite and post up the new color scheme and idea in the morning -
Excellent idea!

I'm sure the artistry in the photo you posted will cause a lot of problems, but I love it! Wish it was cool to leave it like that and that you could do ours as well, but yea, it is trouble!

I really want to see photos of the inside! Will you post some please??? Thanks!

-Roni

I careen around mostly state, federal, county and city parks. Most seem to have a lot LESS rules and hangups than the privately owned parks. I've seen some really creative stuff on smaller older RV's and they didn't seem to have any trouble camping.

Frankly I am disappointed that so many RV's looks so identical!  I personally fail to understand why so many  are painted in such dark drab colors with dizzying swirls and too few windows. I want to see my world, not hide from it!

I wish motorhomes were more of a movable art show. I am dying to have my RV painted colorfully. On the other hand, I like my privacy sometimes and if I go too wild, then I might have more questions than I care to answer. Some of the rental companies have put on some wild graphics including a painted dog hanging out a window that is faux painted. They don't seem to be turned away.

I've not heard or met anyone that was turned away from a campground because of their paint job.Maybe if you're staying super long term they insist on strict conformity, but I surely wouldn't want to be there anyhow. Motorhomes have wheels for a reason.

If I were an artist, which I am not, I would have painted flower boxes under my many windows and a small faux picket fence painted around the base of my RV. I would have painted weathered hurricane shutters on the sides of my windows, maybe one hanging crooked, like a hinge fell off. I think it would be fun.

I'm with Roni, I think it's great artwork...Jimmy Buffett on an RV. Are you really planning on staying in the kinds of campgrounds that would turn you away because of the artistic paint on your coach ?

Wendy said:
I'm with Roni, I think it's great artwork...Jimmy Buffett on an RV. Are you really planning on staying in the kinds of campgrounds that woe turn you away because of the artistic paint on your coach ?

Good question. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I'd never stay at an RV park that would allow me to stay there."

Even though I liked what I saw, I would tone the colors down to appeal to the greater majority. I would like to correct the notion that over ten year old RV's are not allowed in a large number of CG's. Those CG's are in the minority. Also there are a number of RV clubs that are exclusive to older RV's. One group we try and visit locally each year is the Tin Can Rally. They usually visit Camp Dearborn in Milford MI twice a year.

The first thing I thought of when I saw your pic was my Dad. In the early 60's he was redoing an RV and was hoping to get the state of Florida to pay for an advertisement for Florida panted on the side. Kind of like the beach scene you have....He thought it was a great idea but as a kid I would have been too embarrassed to be seen in it. It wouldn't bother me much now but you know how kids are. He passed away before any of that was put into action but your picture brought back the thoughts of it.

Fundamental question is whether you want to please yourself or your neighbors. It may seem that the obvious answer is to please yourself, but even RVers live in a community and have to choose whether to be part of it or in defiance of it.  Each of us has a different opinion about art and styling and behavior, and the more outre' your art, the fewer people will perceive you as a desirable neighbor.

I don't think you need have much worry about RV parks turning you down solely because of the exterior decor, but those that have set standards such as age may be less inclined to waive them when they see your rig. You are declaring your individualism and willingness to flaunt more mainstream notions and that can only be a red flag to them.

Well last nite over the major objections of my boss I went ahead and painted over the mural. I pass a CG every day going to work and even though I am not a conformist I also couldn't envision my loud colors amongst the "usual" tones when we decide to stay for a bit in one. With the feedback here it confirmed my thoughts, so I am going with a cream, beige and soft green, along with the charcoal iron oxide color scheme. I have to look at it as living in a neighborhood and I'm your neighbor fool with the purple house! Nope, that really isn't me. It will now be a mix of "standard" striping with a tonal mural  in one section. Overall it will take me two days to fix this one side and probably just another two days to finish the rest because by going back to the original color I won't have to spend alot of time with extra coats and can leave the cab pretty well alone. I think it will be a happy medium, I get my art and it also won't be "in your face". I will post up the new paint job next week when I stay over another nite to finish it. Oh I can't wait to share photos of the inside, but I still have some trim to finish and get the upholstery in. My entire ceiling (not the bathroom) is covered in tin signs, mostly beer/liquor/lounge I pretty much want to feel like we are always in a tiki lounge. Trust me, it is crazy but interesting! I have to have it out of the building March 1st so the pressure is on!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom