Restrictions on Outside Paint Job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really can not believe that in 2014 we are still dragging people out into the street and stoning them to death for being a witch because they think differently. Sad really while I don't personally think I would paint my rig like that I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I like it.

There are plenty of people out there that also feel the same. google sisters on the fly for some amazing rigs. true traveling bits of art. most of them are from the 50's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uuBVPdDpfiU/T0-5pKjrvtI/AAAAAAAAFuo/CnX1LGL525A/s1600/vintage+trailer+-+ME+sister.jpg

This one is like what dearmissmermaid was thinking of. again I may not paint mine like that but I would not mind parking next to it in a campground.

however YOU personally think it is a bit much so you don't like it. so change it. My mom always said," If you don't like what you see, change it! If you can't change it, stop looking!!"

Enjoy. and can not wait to see the final look.

1275gtsport said:
I really can not believe that in 2014 we are still dragging people out into the street and stoning them to death for being a witch because they think differently.
No one is dragging anyone into the street and stoning them to death for thinking differently. We are explaining the reality of having a gaudy painted RV. Think of it this way. How would you like it if your stick and brick house painted their house psychedelic colors? Or what if they let it go and it turned into a trash heap? Being a good neighbor means fitting in with your neighbors and not doing something that would upset the entire neighborhood.

We have given some great suggestions to the OP such as doing the interior in a personal wild scheme or putting a decal in the back window. It is really a bummer to travel hundreds of miles to an RV park and then be turned down because the owner of the park did not approve of your RV .

Yes as much as I did love the colorful mural and could have a good old FU mentality I do believe that very valid points were made about the brightness of it. I had my reservations about it and that is why I posted the question, I certainly had not given it a bit of thought when I was so happily painting it. I am obessed with anything beachy (I'm up North brrrrrrrrrr.....) so I will still give it that vibe. Some people wouldn't have an issue with it, I feel alot of others would if it were ten feet from them. And I always have the option after a few years on the road to go ahead and paint it over. On the whole I feel that jumping in with both feet into the full-timer mode with not a bit of experience is going to be challenging enough, without the added bonus of negativity that may arise from the paint job. Thank you everyone for your input. Redesigned artwork will be posted next week.

SeilerBird said:
We are explaining the reality of having a gaudy painted RV. Think of it this way. How would you like it if your stick and brick house painted their house psychedelic colors? Or what if they let it go and it turned into a trash heap? Being a good neighbor means fitting in with your neighbors and not doing something that would upset the entire neighborhood.

It is really a bummer to travel hundreds of miles to an RV park and then be turned down because the owner of the park did not approve of your RV .
You hit on two great points.
First, It is a bummer to travel hundreds of miles to an RV park, only to be turned away for any reason.  I have a class C MH that is just turning 14 y.o., but is in excellent condition, mechanically and cosmetically.  But I have played 20 questions with the reservation people at a few parks regarding what kind and length of MH I have (valid questions), then edging into age, and other non-important questions about the motor home, like color, make, model, etc. (not valid).

I have also been questioned about my dog.  I've been told I could board the dog...NEGATIVE.  I currently have a 50 lb. female pit mix, that is a sweetheart.  But she is considered an "aggressive breed".  She is also my PTSD service dog, so they can't deny her from my site.    I have had German Shepherds, which were K-9 working dogs (before my retirement), which I also competed with, as well as other personally owned dogs, a Rottweiler, and a Chow.  So I'm used to so called "aggressive breeds".  What they don't understand, it's not the breed, it's the way they're treated, and the level of training they're given.  Any dog can be "aggressive" if they feel threatened, or if their owner, or they, are attacked, which is nothing more than defending themselves or their owner.  Besides, as I've told people in the past, it's not the "aggressive" dog you have to watch out for, but the owner, when you piss him off or hurt his dog...never mess with another mans dog or woman!

I have to agree with you when you advocate assimilating with your neighbors or neighborhood.  My home, and my Motor home are my biggest investments.  I don't want to live next to the idiot with the junk cars parked on the front lawn, a purple house with green doors, or a yard full of trash.
But having said that, I also wont live in another HOA neighborhood, with the elitist, bored, old farts, who have nothing better to do, than go around the neighborhood, measuring the height of lawns, counting the number of weeds in the lawn, or otherwise preventing me from enjoying my well maintained home, by causing me heartburn everyday, because it's not up to THEIR high standards.  I don't want to be "that guy" that causes others angst, but I expect to have others not cause me agita over non-important things.

The last HOA neighborhood I lived in prevented me from keeping my 1 yo truck.  When I bought there, I was told the truck restriction was ONLY for commercial trucks, with lettering and racks for ladders, etc.  But after living there for several months, I was singled out by a "resident" for having a truck on my property, that was registered to me.  I was informed I couldn't keep it on my property, but would have to store it elsewhere.  The truck was a 1 year old F150, quad cab, leather, loaded, which I bought new for around $40K.  So I stored it at a friend's house nearby, bought a 20 year old beater, that smoked, was loud, dented, faded, and generally looked like a POS.  Shortly thereafter, after several residents understood what was going on, a proposal was made to clarify the truck restriction, and allow non-commercial trucks in the neighborhood (as it was supposed to be), which subsequently passed by a wide margin, and I brought my truck home, and got rid of the beater.  I made my point.  So you see, don't get mad....get even!

Seriously? Wild colors? Too loud? Have you ever been where there's a Prevost or Wanderlodge rally? Wanna talk about over the top?

Personally, I liked the first draft of the mural....  8) You can stay wherever I stay, dude! I just wish I could paint murals... ;)

skyking4ar2 said:
Seriously? Wild colors? Too loud? Have you ever been where there's a Prevost or Wanderlodge rally? Wanna talk about over the top?
Yes you are right, however you are talking about million dollar motorhomes. He who has the gold makes the rules unfortunately. But the bottom line is that the people who own the RV park have every right to deny access to anyone they want so long as they are not being prejudicial. By painting it wildly you are setting yourself up to be rejected. Personally I think the RV looks great, but I would not want it next door to me where I would have to look at it every day.

On the flip side of this discussion, how many have seen all white and bright white RV's. How boring, no matter how many $$$$ they cost....they still have something missing...

And I'll park on the other side to block the view for those stick-in-the-muds. I can totally see that first paint job parked at a beach park with the sun setting behind it (or rising if you're on the other coast). Spectacular.

And I'll park on the other side to block the view for those stick-in-the-muds. I can totally see that first paint job parked at a beach park with the sun setting behind it (or rising if you're on the other coast). Spectacular.

Yes!

-Roni

Who are these people being rejected from campgrounds? 
Neighbors in campgrounds are temporary. If you can't stand to look at your neighbor's colorful camper, then go camp somewhere else.

Where are the campgrounds that are so fantastically wealthy they can turn away business on  a whim?
I am going to start photographing the fun painted rigs I run into.

I didn't think RV-ers were into strict conformity. Seems to me if someone wants their neighbors to look just like their rig, they should form select campground clubs like living in condos or HOA gated communities. Many campgrounds accept prepaid reservations far in advance, they better not be turning down campers when they arrive, after paying their money on good faith in advance to secure their spot.

I know when I first came to this forum 4 years ago with my 15 year old rig, I was told old rigs wouldn't be allowed in parks and I have never once had an issue. I've never had my rig inspected at any parks. Some parks, the office can't even see the rig when I or anyone is checking in.

I've stayed in private and public campgrounds in 17 states for 4 years. I haven't seen anyone turned away yet, and I haven't met or heard of anyone being turned away. I'm beginning to think this is some kind of urban rumor.

DearMissMermaid said:
Where are the campgrounds that are so fantastically wealthy they can turn away business on  a whim?
I am going to start photographing the fun painted rigs I run into.

I'm beginning to think this is some kind of urban rumor.
Santee Lakes RV Park in San Diego is not an urban rumor. They have someone who goes outside with a checklist and looks your rig over. They rejected mine since it was too old. I have been turned down at other RV parks but I don't remember their names.

Interesting how this discussion has polarized. The slightest suggestion that it may be wise, or even just good manners, to be cognizant of your neighbors sensibilities is greeted with cries of outrage.

Each of us is guaranteed the right to express our opinions and individuality. And each of our neighbors is guaranteed the right to shun us if they dislike what they see or hear. It merely remains for us to determine where we want to fit in the big picture. Some are happy to be on the fringes, while others may be comfortable only near the crowded center. The rest are somewhere in between.  8)

Gary RV Roamer said:
Interesting how this discussion has polarized. The slightest suggestion that it may be wise, or even just good manners, to be cognizant of your neighbors sensibilities is greeted with cries of outrage.

I agree.  I have found there are those people who have to have the same RV as their neighbors and then there are those who make it their life's work to show off their uniqueness.  Personally, I became embarrassed showing up with my old TT to some campgrounds because I had water damage that I fixed myself and didn't have a good color match on the portions I fixed.  One of the reasons we are getting a new one.

I just love all the thoughts here! Well, unfortunately for those that liked the first one, it is gone and in it's place is something much more calming. It is growing on me more and more as I walk past it and think that in the long run it is much more pleasant to look at everyday. I will always have the issue of the age. There is no rust or anything like that and the engine has 20K on it so it runs fine. But it is old and though I have "polished the t$%d" so to speak it still has its bumps and bruises and I like it that way. I could have gone with a wrap on the thing, but I just didn't want that look-I really wanted a painterly look, brush strokes and all. If we really have alot of problems with CG's not wanting us and I have to park it on my daughter's farm in NC all the time then so be it, but I see alot worse in CG's and you know by now I am not a snooty person and have no intention of hitting places like that. New photo of the side in the morning-would love feedback on the change made.

I doubt if you will have any problems, or at worst may be asked to provide a photo to verify the condition. The more upscale the park, the more likely it is to have rules on age & appearance, but it's still not a widespread thing.

Our rig turned 10 this year, and perhaps some people consider its full-body paint scheme ("Manhattan Beige" in 4 colors) it to be garish. Maybe I'll change my tune after this camping season, but I doubt it.

Attachments

• Lantern Resort site( NH) (Small).JPG
    Lantern Resort site( NH) (Small).JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 116
cnh23 said:
New photo of the side in the morning-would love feedback on the change made.

When I'm parked next to a "different" looking RV I will sometimes photograph it. This one struck me as a person that really had no sense of colors - and what would work or not work in a certain situation. He would have been well off to have posted a pic here as you are doing for friendly feedback. OTOH, if like my Dad, he could care less about what colors worked and which ones didn't.

I posted a pic last summer of an older school bus conversion that was painted a lighter tan - with the objective of having folks sign his RV. It was covered with names of those that passed by. He provided markers. And it was in an RV park though on a parking lot when I got the photo.

Attachments

• GreenRV.jpg
    GreenRV.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom