Some of Our Past RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zmotorsports

There was a topic on another forum about older RV's and I decided to throw up a few of the ones we have had over the years and the work we have done to them.  I can't speak for everyone but I enjoy looking at other peoples modifications and remodels so here is a link to mine and my wife's past RV's.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/our-past-rvs-191465.html

Thanks for looking.

Mike.

Why not re-post your thread here? That might encourage others to post about their past RVs.

Tom said:
Why not re-post your thread here? That might encourage others to post about their past RVs.

Will do.  It is just a little more time consuming to size the pics and post them here so I will do that when I get a few minutes.

Mike.

There was a thread started on another forum a few weeks ago discussing older coach remodels/modifications and I didn't have any digital pictures of our past rigs. Last night I had my son scan some pictures of our past RVs and I thought I would start a thread here to show off some of our past RV's.  My wife and I were blessed and started camping and then RVing early in our married life. When our son came along he just accepted it as normal because he didn't know any different right from birth. He has always traveled by way of some form of RV and all of our family activities have revolved around the outdoors and some form of motorsports. My wife and I didn't come from families that camped much but we learned quick. ;D  We perform and have performed ALL of our own repairs, modifications and upgrades which I find almost as fun as using our RV's.  It is definitely a labor of love.

Like many others we started in a tent and very quickly decided that was not for us and looked to step into something with hard sides.  My wife's parents had a 1971 Fireball 18' travel trailer that I freshened up as it hadn't been used in many, many years.  I replaced brakes, serviced wheel bearings, replaced the icebox with an absorption refrigerator that I picked up used and brightened up the exterior and repainted the faded stripe as well as the tongue and LP tanks.  It turned out so well the in-laws wanted to start using it again, so we only used it twice before we had to find another solution.

We had decided to sell our shortbed truck that I had built up and get something more suited to carry weight.  As I was also quite involved with racing at the time and we needed something to haul the race car and sand toys around in.  We bought a 1988 Ford F250 that was totaled I rebuilt.  In 1992 we actually bought our first RV, a 10 1/2' Northland camper with the lengthwise queen bed over the cab. It was a 1990 model and I did some work for a guy who owned a car lot who took it in on trade and didn't want to deal with a camper. I traded some work on various cars on his lot for the camper. We agreed on a price so I worked off that much in parts and labor for him. Turned out to be a great deal and a great friendship emerged.

The camper was in immaculate condition with very little use. However, the brown/beige two tone stripes on the exterior had to go. I had some leftover paint from when I rebuilt the truck so I color matched to camper to the truck.

Shortly after acquiring the camper, getting it and the truck setup for our use, we found out how nice it would be to have it at the race track and the dunes.  I ran across a wrecked 24' enclosed trailer that we purchased and rebuilt to haul our crap to the race track and to haul our quads to the dunes.  I then had to heavily modify/fabricate a hitch setup for the truck to be able to handle the tongue weight of the enclosed trailer and do it safely.  Then I realized the power of the 460 engine was not adequate and of course had to address that.  On went a Paxton supercharger, JBA headers, Banks exhaust system, 62mm throttle body, regearing of the axles and I obtained a used Gear Vendors unit that needed some attention.  I also found a guy who wanted to get rid of his dually bed so I swapped him and turned our truck into a dually.

Below are the pictures of just after acquiring the camper on our freshly rebuilt truck and a picture of the truck after converting it into a dually and adding some more power. 8)

Mike.

Attachments

• camper-1.jpg
    camper-1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 26
  • camper-2.jpg
    camper-2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
This was one of my favorite RV, a 2004 Lance 1121 Cab-Over Camper sitting on a 2004 Ford F550 4x4.

Attachments

• Diamond Lake, OR.jpg
    Diamond Lake, OR.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 31
We ran the truck/camper/enclosed trailer setup for a couple of years until we ran into my aunt/uncle on the mountain snowmobiling one winter and they invited us into their 1974 FMC motorhome that my uncle had heavily modified for four-season use.  As we sat there drinking coffee and enjoying being warm while looking out the window at all of the "common folk" getting dressed outside and freezing, we realized that we needed to save up for a motorhome. ;)  Yep the motorhome bug bit us and bit us hard.

We saved up for nearly a year and kept our eyes open for the right deal.  My aunt/uncle at this time were selling their FMC to step up to a 34' Barth diesel pusher that they fell in love with.  My wife and I really wanted their FMC but it was outside our budget and we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew financially.

We did find a motorhome for sale from a gentleman who was in my aunt/uncles motorhome club whos wife had passed away several years earlier and the coach had just been sitting.  He completely lost interest in it and we agreed to give it a good home.  I hated to obtain this coach under the circumstances but he kept insisting that we don't let the coach sit and get some enjoyment out of it.  My wife didn't care for the interior (mainly the colors were very dated) but I knew the GM chassis like the back of my hand and the coach was a upper end one when new. 

In 1995 we acquired the 30' 1984 Travelcraft Class A coach.  It was very well made with aluminum skinned exterior walls, one-piece fiberglass roof, 35k btu furnace, which was actually quite large for only a 30' unit and it had a 6500 watt Onan genset which was also unheard of as most units we looked at in this size range only had 4k watt gensets.  We figured this would be great for powering the A/C as well as the trailer at the race track or dunes.

After getting the coach completely current on all fluid, filters, tires and maintenance related issues we used it slowly and realized the potential for what it "could" look like.

The sides of the coach were aluminum skinned and painted with automotive paint so they looked fantastic.  The front and rear endcaps on the other hand were gelcoated and they kept dying back after giving them a polishing.  The bottom of the coach also had quite a few bumps and bruises to the compartment doors as well as around the wheel openings from the previous owner.  I was able to match the maroon for the stripes as well as the cream color for the body but the gold color was so faded and impossible to match so I ended up spraying the gold color completely around the perimeter of the coach.  I also couldn't match the color along the bottom as it was faded so bad it was closer to pink than any shade of red.  I found a gallon of miss-matched paint at the paint wholesaler that was a very nice looking metallic maroon/burgundy that I was able to purchase for next to nothing, so that was sprayed on the bottom of the coach.  I used PPG basecoat/clearcoat urethane paint with a high solids clear. 

Attachments

• tc-1.jpg
    tc-1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 23
  • tc-2.jpg
    tc-2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 17
  • tc-3.jpg
    tc-3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 16
  • tc-4.jpg
    tc-4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 13
  • tc-5.jpg
    tc-5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 14
  • tc-6.jpg
    tc-6.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 15
  • tc-7.jpg
    tc-7.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • tc-8.jpg
    tc-8.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 18
  • tc-9.jpg
    tc-9.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 16
  • tc-10.jpg
    tc-10.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23
Oscar Mike said:
This was one of my favorite RV, a 2004 Lance 1121 Cab-Over Camper sitting on a 2004 Ford F550 4x4.

My brother bought a 12' Lance brand new just after my wife and I bought our used Northland camper.

It was a very well built unit.  I think it was a little better made than our Northland even though Northland touted that they are were an all weather camper.

Mike.

Here's our beloved "Sadie," a 1988 Hawkins Motor Coach.

Attachments

• Sadie&DaisyMae.JPG
    Sadie&DaisyMae.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 30
Once I got the exterior of the coach put back together, I promised the wife I would tackle the interior.  She hated the dark colors and the woven wood blinds.  She said she felt like she was in a cave and I wanted her to enjoy the coach as much as I was.

I DO NOT do upholstery work.  I suck at it and so I don't even attempt it.  I leave that to the professionals.  I have an interior guy that I have used to do several street rods/show cars and motorcycles over the years but he made it clear that he doesn't work on RV's.  I talked him into recovering the furniture if I removed it and just brought the components to him to cover.  I also needed him to cover the valance boxes that I fabricated from wood to cover the hardware/tracks for the new 3" blinds that we were adding.  He agreed as long as I didn't tell anyone where I had gotten them done.  AGREED!!  He did an amazing job and it finished off the project perfectly.

My wife and I traveled around most of the western U.S. with this coach for six years between racing and sand duning as well as some snowmobiling trips in the winter months.  We also started our love affair of the "road trip" where we setup our Jeep Cherokee to flat tow and started taking off on family destination vacations/road trips.  My in-laws even started using their trailer to go with us to the point they wanted to upgrade and get something a little newer as well.

All in all a fantastic first motorhome.

Mike.

Attachments

• tc-11.jpg
    tc-11.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 19
  • tc-12.jpg
    tc-12.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 16
  • tc-13.jpg
    tc-13.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 14
  • tc-14.jpg
    tc-14.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 18
  • tc-15.jpg
    tc-15.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 20
Punomatic said:
Here's our beloved "Sadie," a 1988 Hawkins Motor Coach.

Nice.  Hawkins made a nice coach.  We ran into a guy in Butte, MT one time that had one painted very similar to our Travelcraft.  He and his wife came over to check ours out and said they could be siblings. ;D

Mike.

Very nice!  Did you do redo interior and exterior by yourself or did you pay someone?  I've toyed with the idea of repainting the exterior and replacing carpet and furniture inside.  I have a jackknife soda and a beige chair that I want to replace with a small sleeper and recliner.  I plan to upgrade in 5 to 8 years.

In late 1999 we were enjoying RVing so much that we ended up getting out of racing and decided to upgrade coaches.  We had developed a friendship with some neighbors and had been doing quite a lot of traveling/road trips with them and were really having a great time.  We also thoroughly enjoyed sand duning and were thinking of stepping up to a sandrail and I told the wife we needed something with a bit more "umph" to haul the trailer loaded with sand toys around. ;D  That is how I sold it anyway and yes "umph" is a technical term. 8)

Our friends were looking to upgrade as well and they had just purchased a 1998 model year gas coach.  They thought we were crazy when I told them what we were looking at.  I was looking at late 80's/early 90's diesel pushers on heavy duty chassis to haul the weight around plus I am a stickler for safety and although I did a lot of upgrades to our Travelcraft, the braking was always one of my pet peeves.  In absolute perfect condition I felt that they were barely adequate, I even upgraded to larger trailer brakes so the coach wasn't burdened with that as much.

My cousin had a 1985 Vogue on a Crown bus chassis and my aunt/uncle had upgraded to a 1988 Beaver Marquis on a Gillig chassis by this time as well.  I was impressed with both of those especially with the Gillig and the size of brake drums/shoes they outfitted them with.  So the search started.

Within a few months our local dealer who knew what we were looking for called and told us that he had just taken a older Beaver coach in on trade and it needed some of my TLC and he would make us a "screamin" deal.    Evidently is idea and my idea of a "screamin" deal on a neglected coach were not the same.  We did however, after about two weeks of negotiating come to an agreement and the wife and I were the proud new owners of a not so clean 1991 38' Beaver Contessa on a Gillig chassis, 3208 CAT engine, four-speed Allison transmission and 64k on the odometer.

Once we got it home and got rid of our Travelcraft I commenced again on bringing back a neglected coach.  First things first, all of the mechanicals from bumper to bumper were brought current and a lot of minor and a couple of major repairs were addressed.  I also installed new tires all the way around and while the wheels were off I got a crash course in aluminum polishing.  Enough to know I didn't want to do that for a living. :(

I also removed the hitch from the coach as Beaver stated it was rated for 3500 pounds and really didn't look all that strong.  I fabricated a new hitch that tied up under the coach about 4' directly to the frame.  I made it to where it was bolted in place with ten 3/4" fasteners so it could be removed had I ever had to do any major engine work such as drop the oil pan.  The generator was also leaking like crazy and didn't really sound all that happy when it was running.  A couple of the leaks were around the back side which were difficult to access so I merely decided to remove the 7500 watt Onan diesel genset and repair/reseal it out of the coach and to refurbish the generator compartment.  I removed all of the torn and missing foil noise insulation and prepped to install new Dynomat thermal and noise barrier.  After getting the genset leak free and purring like a kitten I touched up the paint and reinstalled it.

Next order of business was to address the poor paint and body.  The clearcoat was gone in large sections on the rear end cap, the front endcap had too many rock chips to count, the bumpers were painted with a textured paint which was hideous and had no gloss whatsoever and there were a couple of areas on the sides where the clearcoat was peeling.  Also there were a couple of compartment doors that had scratches on them so I was able to match the color perfectly and just repaired/repainted the ones that needed it.  There was a broken section under the rear bumper where I am guessing someone missed hooking up a trailer at some point so it needed to be repaired properly.  Lastly the water heater access door/cover had almost all of the paint missing from poor paint prepwork.

Again I used all PPG basecoat/clearcoat urethane as well as some PPG epoxy sealer.  The water heater access door was bead blasted to bare metal, sealed with epoxy sealser, painted with body color and stripes then clearcoated.  Once completed I installed some 3M clear protective plastic around the hole that the latch went through so it wouldn't scratch the paint in the future.

I had to paint the areas in sections because it wouldn't fit at my parents farm where I painted our Travelcraft six years prior.  I backed the coach up to the shop door in the back yard at home and commenced doing prep work.  In the pictures below you can see the prep work, masking and painting of the endcaps, bumpers and the water heater door as well as the generator once it was completed and reinstalled.

Mike.

Attachments

• beaver-1.jpg
    beaver-1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 16
  • beaver-2.jpg
    beaver-2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 18
  • beaver-3.jpg
    beaver-3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 17
  • beaver-4.jpg
    beaver-4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 15
  • beaver-5.jpg
    beaver-5.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 18
  • beaver-6.jpg
    beaver-6.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
  • beaver-7.jpg
    beaver-7.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 24
FreddyS said:
Very nice!  Did you do redo interior and exterior by yourself or did you pay someone?  I've toyed with the idea of repainting the exterior and replacing carpet and furniture inside.  I have a jackknife soda and a beige chair that I want to replace with a small sleeper and recliner.  I plan to upgrade in 5 to 8 years.

I have done everything except actually recoving the furniture in the Travelcraft.  I pulled it out repaired the structure on the couch and built the valances for the blinds, I had a local guy actually recover the furniture then I reinstalled it.  ALL of the maintenance, repairs, fabrication and paint work I did myself at my home shop.

Mike.

Your work is really impressive.  I wish I had the talent do do some of that work.

See you in Moab.

Bill

Now that it was completed it was ready to enjoy.  On the first couple of trips I noticed that after coming off of the intestate or decelerating for a long grade the engine would hunt quite a bit.  I did some research and found on these 3208 CAT engines that the governor assembly on the mechanical fuel injection pump were known for having the throttle shaft seal leak which would introduce air into the fuel system.  The seal was not serviceable so the entire governor housing needed to be purchased.  I figured it was common when I called my local CAT store and they had on on the shelf.

While I had everything torn apart replacing the governor housing I also decided to get a little more "umph", there's that technical term again, out of the V-8 CAT, so I advanced the injection pump a few degrees.  After it was all buttoned back up she purred like a kitten (pun intended). 8)

In the seven years my wife and I had this coach we put 65k miles on her and again covered most of the western U.S. and even up into parts of Canada.  The coach never left us and when we sold it in 2007 it had 129k on the odometer and looked and ran perfect.  I loved the attention the coach got in campgrounds as they were not all that common and people usually didn't believe me when I told them the year and mileage of the coach.

I also spent a lot of time bringing that polished stainless steel grille back to life for the radiator as well as polishing all of the large plastic tail lights before putting it back together.

Pictures below are of it completed after all of the cosmetic work sitting in the driveway at home.  Also pictures of one of our many trips to Montana flat towing our 1996 Grand Cherokee, towing our 24' enclosed trailer on one of our many snowmobiling trips (I even painted stripes on the trailer to match the coach) and the last one was at the Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort on one of our annual NHRA drag racing trips.  We had to send LVMCR a picture of the coach before they would reserve us a spot due to its age.

All in all a great coach that we were able to create many family memories in and it was a stepping stone to our current coach which we love and hope it will age as well as our past RV's.

Mike.

Attachments

• beaver-8.jpg
    beaver-8.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 21
  • beaver-9.jpg
    beaver-9.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 14
  • beaver-10.jpg
    beaver-10.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 14
  • beaver-11.jpg
    beaver-11.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 15
  • beaver-12.jpg
    beaver-12.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 16
  • beaver-13.jpg
    beaver-13.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 17
Photog said:
Your work is really impressive.  I wish I had the talent do do some of that work.

See you in Moab.

Bill

Thanks Bill, see you there.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom