TV in San Juan Mtns.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoeBelly

Hi all,

We have a trip planned with our TT through the San Juan Mountains and Telluride.  I do not have a jeep but my TV is a Sierra 2500HD 4WD.  I would like to take the opportunity to get up in the higher elevations and have been looking at some of your posts.

I understand there are limitations to taking a pickup on some of these trails and I have ruled out Black Bear Pass but there are some trails that I've been seeing on Google Maps that I might be able to do.  Here are some roads I'm interested in:
    Rd 630-D65  Ophir to US-550
    Forest Rd. 815 to Clear Lake
    Imogene Pass

My truck is a crew cab long box so the wheelbase is 167" and total length of 21'.  I have 8" minimum clearance at the rear differential and 10" everywhere else.  This truck is completely stock including tires and has skid plates at the transmission and transfer case.  I have a little experience at 4 wheeling but have never been out west.

I am asking if what I have in mind is doable and if there are any other roads worth checking out.  Thanks.

Definitely out like you say are Black Bear Pass, and I'll add Poughkeepsie.  I wouldn't do Imogene, Engineer, Corkscrew or Stony Pass in a LWB truck.  Ophir would be no problem for you.  Maggie and Minnie have good scenery and you would be fine.  You can do Yankee Boy probably to the end or at least the pit toilets.  You don't want to miss Animas Forks.  Alta Lakes has good scenery and isn't difficult as is Last Dollar road.  Red Mountain Pass is an easy trail that goes by several old mines, I highly recommend this one for mine exploring.

Explore and read about them at Trail Damage.

Back
Top Bottom