EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 2nd Best Class B Cover, etc.???  (Read 991 times)

Bob Kirk

2nd Best Class B Cover, etc.???
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
We just bought a 1999 Chinook motor home -- our first RV after 40 years of marriage.  It will be stored outside in the woods of West Virginia.  We wonder whether experienced owners can help us with these questions:

--  We have heard about a California cover company that makes "THE BEST" cover for the Chinook, but it costs about $700.  We were thinking there should be something good for maybe $300.  We think something especially "breathable" is important.  Does actual experience identify the maker and model of a very good cover?

--  We have mice EVERYWHERE at our place.  We will be applying a spray-on product called Mouse-Free to the bottom of the Chinook to try to deter our little friends.  Does anyone have experience with this product -- good or bad?

--  We are thinking that maybe our cover should be short enough to leave a couple feet between the bottom edge and the ground so that mice cannot reach the warmer area under the cover.  Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

--  Does anyone have any different suggestions for keeping mice out of the cover?  (A cat is not an option - wife is deathly allergic to cats.)

Thanks very much for your thoughts -- we greatly value the actual experience of ordinary users.

Bob

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
Re: 2nd Best Class B Cover, etc.???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Bob!

Congratulations on your "new to you" rig!

I cannot speak authoritatively on Class B covers, but having used something similar on aircraft, they are somewhat of a mixed bag. I think you may see that from other responses.

How they breathe, how they are secured, and whether they will have a tendency to chafe paint are all things I have encountered on a smaller scale.

I have also had the mice problem with airplanes in a rural hangar, so I sympathize with that issue as well. We actually have a mouse riding with us now (don't ask me how) and are playing heck with tossing him off the rig. And we have a cat!

Hopefully some of the folks who store their rigs similar to yours and cannot put them under roof will have a reasonable answer.

Kim
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

Hosted by Over The Network