Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Keeping the mice and squirrels out in storage?  (Read 4939 times)

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
Keeping the mice and squirrels out in storage?
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:14:32 AM »
I apologize if this has been mentioned before; couldn't find it.

Am posting in the Winnie board because I figured you'd know best what the underside of our new unit looks like. We're going to be bringing home a 2013 32' Access Premier in a week or two and are worried about vermin damage to wiring, etc. while it's parked at our home and not being used.

I've read about Mouse Free and we'd probably have to pay to have that applied, if it requires crawling around under the unit. Have also read numerous posts elsewhere talking about mothballs in plastic bottles and put behind each tire, being successful.

What I do not know is just how many intrusion points there are under our new MH, how worried we should be about this, and if so, what others have tried that works.
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

canuckrv

• ---
    • The adventures of Oscar and the Galavan
Re: Keeping the mice and squirrels out in storage?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:05:54 AM »
peppermint oil around the wheels and bounce sheets inside we have never had a problem, and we live in farm country. I wish it was as easy to keep them out of the house.
The adventures of Oscar, Frances and the Galavan
http://galavan.blogspot.ca/

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
We're on a small ranch with lots of rural critters around but we have zero vermin and squirrel issues thanks to four barn cats that roam around "their" property.  On the road we have a house cat in the coach that we believe also serves as a deterrent due probably to the smell of the cat.  In eight years we've never had a mouse problem in the coach.

If you can't do the cat trick, I would place mouse and rat traps at each tire.  Faithfully start and run the engine and generator every month, preferably drive the coach for 30 or 45 minutes.  Also run the dash air conditioner to keep the compressor seals in good shape.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:56 AM »
peppermint oil around the wheels and bounce sheets inside we have never had a problem, and we live in farm country. I wish it was as easy to keep them out of the house.

We tried the bounce thing one year. We had them all over the inside and all over the bed. The still mice got in and used our bedspread as a toilet. When we opened up the rig it sure did smell good but the sheets had no effect at all as far as keeping out mice. Black and Decker made a electronic device which was suppose to be the next best thing since slice bread. WRONG!!!   We still use them because they have a night light built into them.  What I started doing was using mouse traps which Home Depot sells. They are white and made out of plastic. Using peanut but to lure them into the trap. Once inside, the floor, which is spring loaded, pops up and drives them against the back wall and kills them immediately. No mess. I do it every fall until the first snow fall. I have two of them set at the door entrance and every  year, I catch between 10 to 12. To me, that's the most effective. 
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
I'm actually not concerned about getting rid of them inside the coach. I'm concerned with keeping them from getting in from the outside, and chewing up all our wiring on the way. We do have cats, but in this colder weather they don't spend much time outside.

Does anybody have any Winnebago MH specifics, like, how secure the undercarriage of our model might be?

I have also heard about peppermint oil, which I guess is why Mouse Free costs $100 a gallon. I would rather pay for and use the oil, though, than have to pay somebody to apply Mouse Free.

The Access Premier is pretty low to the ground (no external steps needed), which was part of our intentional choice, but I've heard mice can jump pretty high for their size. I would love to believe (and find out) that I only need to be concerned about the tires as access points.
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »
They are a problem at our place too. Never had an issue in Texas but guess up here in Indiana they are looking for a warm place to stay.  I was cleaning underneath and found some had made nice little homes in the toweling paper and toilet paper stored underneath.  They had shredded it nicely and made comfy little abodes.

I put rat poison in containers in several drawers and under the sink and set traps.  I never saw any more evidence of mice.  I'm like you, I'm worried about them getting in the wires.

Cant Wait

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I've always been of the belief that it's better to deplete the rodent population before I put the MH up for the winter. I park the MH beside the garage all winter so during the summer & fall months I spread mouse poison around outside & inside the garage to get rid of the critters before I put the MH away. Then I use the dryer sheets and small bags (made of DW's old nylons) of cloves here and there starting in the basement areas prone for mice to get in. I also use fine steel wool to pack around any opening in the underside that will allow egress of the mice.
2012 Winnebago "Our Incredible Journey"  40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2005 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now
Home - Western NY

ComputerGranny

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
My husband drills holes in old prescription bottles &  lids, fills the bottles with the original "stinky" moth balls, and hangs them at various locations in the engine compartment. He also stands the bottles on top of the tires to keep them from climbing up on the tires to gain access to the RV. Works with mice, rats, raccoons, squirrels, etc. Sometimes he finds the ones on the tires knocked off by some critter. Refills the moth balls every few weeks as they dissolve over time.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
I looked up that mousefree stuff, since i park my new coach in a grass field and am worried about this too.

Seems to me taht sparaying an oil all over the underside would attract dirt and make a mess in a hurry.
Also, that seems like a lot of money for something that I'm guessing would wash away with one road trip in the rain.

Are my assumptions wrong?
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »
Spraying oil on the undercarriage is called yankee rustproofing. There's never any rust downstream of an oil leak!

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
farmers around here use Cab Fresh in their trucks, tractors and combines.

Cab Fresh Rodent Repellant
http://www.earthkind.com/products/featured-fresh-cab-rodent-repellent
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Wagonmaster2

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »
Be careful of using snap traps under the outside of the coach if you have any kind of birds in the area.   We did that one year at a campground in Missouri where I had seen a mouse outside in the grass and the next morning i found a dead cat bird beside one of the traps that was attracted to the peanut butter and didn't move fast enough.  Really felt bad about that too.
I keep a snap trap set in each of the outside compartments and a couple under the kitchen cabinet.  Catch several every year, especially in campgrounds during fall travel, but usually always in an outside compartment before reaching the interior.
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Sahara Wrangler

jlaurie

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:49:21 AM »
Steel wool stuffed in at access points in the RV has worked for me for 32 years of fifth wheeling.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
Steel wool is a great idea but I would use bronze, stainless or the plastic equivalent.  While we're on the coach, I've never had a mouse problem I suspect due to always having a cat on board, apparently mice can smell the presence of their predator.  When we're parked at the ranch, we have barn cats and Rhea birds that are on guard duty.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

GG1

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »
We have been using a product called Critter Out. I spray it outside under the coach and engine compartment as well as inside possible access areas. Its kind of minty and non toxic. Been using it for past several years with excellent result. Locally its sold in True Value hardware stores. They also have a web site.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 14 Honda CRV, pit/pointer mix(rip bessie), sharpei mix,  greyhound/lab mix

snoopydad

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
as an exterminator I use ultrasonics because I have power year round on my parking spot
without power I would recommend mechanical multi catch traps under the coach at entry points
and steel wool in all visible holes
92 itasca suncruiser

Kevin

• ---
  • North West Arkansas..Go Hogs!!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »
so do those plug in things really work? what about for roaches, spiders? or just mice? I'm being serious, not being a smart ars, just really would like to know from someone in that field. thanks.
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

gave up on that winning lotto ticket!