Traveling In America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriedemarco9

Hello to all you out there who are active and enjoying being a senior. Being retired is the best!

We are loading up the RV and heading to the suburbs of Chicago this spring to pay my daughter and new grandson a little visit. We start in Pittsburgh and intend to have a little fun along the way. For us that?s bike riding and taking a look at local cultures. This year we are focusing on the Amish. What an interesting group to survive in America. We?ll dip down in Ohio to Heartville ? the biggest concentration of Amish in America ? then to Northern Indiana ? Goshen ? for their annual Pumpkinvine ride. This is a very fun trip through Amish country if anyone?s in the area on June 18. www.pumpkinvine.org Does anyone have any other tips on what to do while we?re headed for Naperville, IL? I hear there are some good flea markets and wouldn?t mind checking some of those out.
Also, our phone service will not support some of our out of state travel so we are looking for an inexpensive alternative if anyone has advice there.

Thank you!

Shipshewanna (in Amish country) has a huge flea market.

I'm not sure what you consider "inexpensive" alternatives to your phone service. I've used an air card with t-mobile across the USA and eastern Canada. The card isn't cheap (approx $150), and you pay $40/month for their unlimited internet service. However, if you already have a phone with t-mobile, you can get the unlimited internet as an add-on for $20/month, but the phone and the air card have to share the same small SIM card. Also, be aware that, outside the USA, roaming charges apply.

If you already have a Verizon phone, others here can help you with the cheapest way to get online using their service.

Beyond these, there are often options to plug into a phone line at a canpground office or a campground laundry room.

I second Tom's suggestion about Shipshewana.  Fun place to visit with all the horse drawn vehicles going up and down the streets.

Hope you enjoy your travels.  An chance you will make out west?

Laurie

I would strongly suggest that you get your daughter working on a project for you. RV parking in the greater Chicago area is the pits. The last time I had our coach in Chicago it got measured for a boot and I moved it out of town quickly to a private lot. Now we park the coach out of town (at the manufacturer and have it do any work needed) and drive into town. If Naperville is enlightened you may not have many problems, but better have her check and make sure what the RV rules and regulations are. Otherwise you may need to stay in a campground near Joliet or park the coach and stay at your daughter's house.

Shipshewana is a neat place to visit. Plan on being there on a Tuesday or Wednesday, that's when the flea market is open. To get to Shipshewana from Ohio, I would suggest taking US 30 and US 6. Very scenic and a pleasant drive.

lauriedemarco9 said:
Hello to all you out there who are active and enjoying being a senior. Being retired is the best!

We are loading up the RV and heading to the suburbs of Chicago this spring to pay my daughter and new grandson a little visit. We start in Pittsburgh and intend to have a little fun along the way. For us that?s bike riding and taking a look at local cultures. This year we are focusing on the Amish. What an interesting group to survive in America. We?ll dip down in Ohio to Heartville ? the biggest concentration of Amish in America ? then to Northern Indiana ? Goshen ? for their annual Pumpkinvine ride. This is a very fun trip through Amish country if anyone?s in the area on June 18. www.pumpkinvine.org Does anyone have any other tips on what to do while we?re headed for Naperville, IL? I hear there are some good flea markets and wouldn?t mind checking some of those out.
Also, our phone service will not support some of our out of state travel so we are looking for an inexpensive alternative if anyone has advice there.

Thank you!

Laurie,

I would suggest that you consider Holmes County in Ohio. I think you will find more Amish there than at Hartville, though there is an Amish flea market near Hartville I believe. Berlin, Ohio is a good place to visit and Scenic Hills RV Park in Berlin is a nice park. In Kidron, Ohio there is Lehman?s Hardware Store. They cater to the Amish and you can spend the better part of a day walking through the store. If you happen to be in the Kidron area the first Saturday in August, the Amish and Mennonite quilt sale is held at the Kidron High School. It is an all day affair and if you like quilts or Amish woodworking it?s a sale not to be missed.

I would second Bernie?s suggestion to take US 30 and US 6.

We traveled through that area of the states last year and really enjoyed Amish Acres in the Nappanee, Indiana area. A terrific scenic locale is The Indiana Dunes.

We usually use a OneSuite.com card for our phone needs while traveling. We got stuck one year with over a hundred dollar in roaming charges and learned our lesson.

Have a wonderful trip.

MarleyAnn

Back
Top Bottom