Jeep preparations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oscar Mike

I am a novice Four-Wheeler and as such I have been keeping up in this Forum and in the Jeep Forum about some potential modifications/equipment/supplies needed so that I can be as prepare for Moab. In another thread one of the more experienced off-roaders gave this list as basic necessities:
First aid kit
Tools
Spare fluids (brake, oil, transmission/power steering fluid, etc.)
Gloves
Cooler for food and water (plenty of water - stay hydrated)
Some kind of GPS
Tire repair kit

As I prepare for the Moab Rally a lot of questions come to mind, I am OCD in that regard since I have very limited off-roading experience. I am not completely inexperienced either...I fit somewhere between knowing enough just to be dangerous, and having just enough sense to know better...if you know what I mean  ;). My Jeep is basically a stock 2005 Wrangler X

1. Minimum tire size...I run 33s now.
2. Body Armor minimum...I have stock bumpers, and NO Rocker Armor
3. 9500# winch and recovery straps
4. 4-ton bottle jack and 16"sq jack pad

What I would like to do in preparation for Moab:
1. Poison Spyder Rocker Armor $1,500.00
2. Wilderness Racks G2 Series Rear Bumper and Swing Away System with rack(s) $1,500.00
3. Poison Spyder G2 Series Front Bumper $755.00

I can already see the hand writing on the wall...an upset wife at the prospect of me building another Jeep (I've done one CJ5 on a body off build). And so it begins...again  ;D.

John,

I'm hoping you have a CB radio to keep in contact with your fellow off roaders as you travel on those trails.

Nothing like the ability to say to the guy in front of you, " Hey could you hold up for a minute, or hey could you spot me  over this obstacle, or hey could  you stop for a  10-100, or  hey look at that  blooming cactus on the right."

10-4 on the CB...I have one in the Jeep already  :).

Barb said:
Differential cover, tree loppers, and the contents of a standard tool box. Tire deflators, and air compressor.  Fire Extinguisher, Swiss army knife, and first aid kit.

I am equipped with all of that except differential armor (good idea), and I don't know what a tree lopper is...(ax?). Being one to be equipped, that is to say, whenever I go into the outback I am prepared to stay for several days in the case of an emergency, I have emergency food packs, water, and gear to be relatively comfortable until I get out or get rescued. I carry a SPOT, GPS, CB Radio, Cellular, and Walkie Talkies that have multiple channels. 

I carry U-Joints, U-Bolts, Grease, Wheel Bearings, and a pretty complete set of tools. I could change out an axle if needed, and/or replace blown out U-Joints. I never want to be the guy who is not prepared...

I learned the hard way...I've been marooned at Lake Mead in one of my previous boats for a week due to fouled plugs, I've been S-T-U-C-K in the mud up to my doors where it took me nearly a day to dig out (now I have a winch), I've blown front and rear U-Joints, and I've helped my friend replace an axle (after we went to town, bought one and came back the following day), and the worst of it is that I once got me and my 9-month pregnant wife stuck in the outback for several hours with flat tires...worst mistake of my life at the time... :-\.

So now I have two Orange Plastic Ammo Boxes that everything but tools fits in, and I am prepared for most emergencies...except that one that I don't know about. But I am a pretty mild four-wheeler in that I will watch others do those chassis twisting obstacles, I am just fine with going around.

Oscar Mike said:
I am equipped with all of that except differential armor (good idea), and I don't know what a tree lopper is...

Gardening Clippers to trim overgrown  tree branches to avoid scratches on vehicles.  We  don't carry them but we like to follow someone who has them as they do all the work! Thanks Barb and Frank !

You have a good initial list of stuff to cart along.  A tow strap is a must (with a couple of large shackles.)  I carry a full roll of those blue paper shop towels for a "spill kit."  An empty container is nice in case you need to catch leaking fluids.

Pruning trees and vegetation won't be a high priority in Moab  :D or unless you are doing trail maintenance with a group/club.  I have been to events where a first aid kit and fire extinguisher were mandatory (as they should be) equipment and you had to have a tech inspection sign-off to participate.

The very first mod I would do is add locking differentials - you are going to struggle on obstacles on anything but maybe the easier medium trails.  The second mod is a Currie AntiRock to replace the stock front swaybar - this will allow the front axle to articulate much better than the stock swaybar and it's better than disconnecting.

The bumpers and skid plates are always good to have.  If you stick to medium trails in a group, you will do fine with open diffs and a minimum of equipment.

Be sure everything in the rear can be completely secured - you don't want stuff flying around if you would happen to flop.  I've never flopped our Rubi but I was recently a passenger in a TJ on 40" tires that flopped - it's amazing the stuff that manages to get loose in spite of the best intentions :eek:.

John

I run a 2003 Rubicon with 3 1/2" lift, 33's WITH FULL UNDERNEATH ARMOR(I need it) It's capable of doing 3.5 & some 4 rated trails with go arounds.

John: Thanks for the reply, I am surely lacking in the technical aspect of the sport. I will check into locking differentials, and I am planning to first put on some chassis armor, i.e., skid plates, differential armor, and so forth. But like I said, my Jeep is stock height, so for me I will limit my travels this trip to Moab to little more that dirt roads and some slick rock if it is doable for me and my Jeep. That's the kind of four-wheeling I enjoy anyway, take the easy route to the hard obstacles and watch.

I've never been to Moab, so this year I'll learn a lot and be better prepared in 2015; hey, I have the big part, I have the Jeep  ;D.

Money, well you already knew that. Everything above are great suggestion's. Depending on how challenging the trails are, I would look at reinforcing the stock roll bar too. There are many kits to do this. The stock roll bar is very inadequate for even easy trail.

Also, I went to Sears and got a real nice 250 piece tool kit in a nice box on sale for $190.00.

Good luck and happy Jeeping!
Be Safe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom