Towing a Sonic - Opinions Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

Despite earlier deciding to put off a decision on towing for a year, the subject has come up again because our lease on the 2012 Cruze is up at the end of May and we have an option of buying it or turning it in with less than 8000 miles.  Problem is it is an automatic and could only be dolly towed and we would like to go in the direction of a dingy towed vehicle like the Chevy Sonic, probably a 2012 or 2013.  When we bought our 2002 Winnebago last month it came with a Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 towbar and a set of EZ twist brackets as well as the safety and lighting cables.  The owner towed a Malibu.  Not too happy with the fact that the Stowmaster is a car mounted towbar but such as it is.  Anybody towing a Sonic out there.  I looked at a YouTube video of a Roadmaster base plate installation on a Sonic and it looks pretty involved including cutting out a small part of the plastic grille but the boys at CW are advertising installs for Good Sam members at $39 for the full year so that would be well worthwhile.  Opinions/comments are welcome.

Put the Stowmaster up for sale on Ebay or craig's and buy a coach-mounted tow bar like the RM All-Terrain or BO Aventa. Might even find one of those used, since you have 3-4 months to search.

Well I think a lot of the towing decisions were made this weekend with the purchase of a tow bar and a brake system.  This despite a vow to hold off a year on making a towing decision but the wife thinks we should advance the schedule to this year since her lease car goes back in May and we plan on just buying a little used small car for towing.  After procrastinating for about a week on a nice looking Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar on the local Craigslist for $500, I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and buy it so I called the guy and said I wanted to come see it.  Yup - he sold it Friday.  Then on to eBay where I looked at dozens of tow bars and brake systems but settled on two brands - Blue Ox and Patriot.  I wound up buying a Blue Ox Alpha 7365 tow bar - new in the box with a set of cables but no wire harness - free shipping for $450 so I saved at least $100 or more there.  Next, on one of the other forums, I ran across a classified ad for a BK2012 Patriot brake system for $250 and, after contacting the seller, I simply could not turn that one down knowing that the cut rate retail price on that unit is at least 3 times that amount.  The shipping is almost $50 via UPS but it is still an excellent buy.  The photos of the Patriot are impressive and I hope it works as good as it looks.  Have not yet committed to any base plate yet until we know for sure what car will be on the end of the tow bar but we have time now to consider that and maybe even make a practice run around the local area with it.
The only question I have now is the electrical harness.  One is not needed for the brake system but will need something for turn signals and running lights.  I read that diodes can cause troubles with modern car computer systems thinking the lights are out of wack.  My Winnebago is old enough that it has only a 6 wire plug but that should be sufficient to run the lights on the toad - even a 4 wire would do that but rather than drilling holes in the tail light fixtures, I may opt to go with just a set of magnet lights initially
as that would be the simplest (and ugliest).  Any better ideas would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom